The Gardening Thread

Do they have a strong smell of creosote- I would not think the plant would uptake- more danger to touch than anything
Posted via VolNation Mobile

no odor that I'm aware of. If things keep going well I'm looking at expanding my garden next year. I might look into a new border if I do.

Very nice, Count.

I don't have anything going this year outside of cherry and plum tomatoes, I just eat them off the vine as they ripen.

Not very big but it's been fun for my daughter and me. I would like to expand to twice this size. This pic was from about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Photo0372.jpg

I think I have my tomatoes and soil situation under control. 700 lbs of good dirt from the woods from under an ole Acorn tree (oak) 10 lbs of burnt lime) no fertilizer this time as you can't lime and fertilize the same year. All this along with an anti-fungal spray that takes care of 70 different fungi.

Love me some tomatoes........

Cherokee Purple is one of 5 varieties I have, and their plant looks the worst of mine, but dang if they aint makin maters right now, and with great flavor.

Absolutley the best heirloom there is.
The plant will make you sick- who cares what it looks like if it is producing.

Several small gardens. 5 tomatoes. like experimenting with different heirlooms each year. green beans. red/klondike/purple potatoes. watermelon and cantelope. yellow and zhuchinni squash. okra. broccoli, cucumber and peppers. Also planted blueberries and raspberry this year. Always lose my squash after first few days of picking. Nursery down the road has the best strawberries i ever ate, so I only tried my hand at that for 2 years.

My maters are Old German, German Johnson, Cherokee Purple, Pear Drops, and Better Boy just to make sure i have some plus they have great flavor.

I bought some tabasco pepper plants to do the same exact thing

I don't do tabasco but i do make pepper vinager for greens. My favorite blend is Jalapeno, cayene, and Hot cherry. Pint jars stuffed with equal portions, covered with 3/4 cup white vinegar and 1/4 cup cider vinegar heated and about a palm of sugar dissolved and poured into jar. Set in cabinet for about 6 weeks till pepper colors turn.

Best old-time watermelon there is. I usually grow Crimson Sweets, but I went back and growing Jubilees this year.

I'm growing a sweet corn called Mirai. Second year I have grown it and it beats anything I have ever grown before( Peaches and cream/Silver queen). Wont grow anything else.

Where did you get the marai seed. I'd like to try that. I've got silver queen and something simialr to peaches and cream. My corn always stunts though. I've got ears coming off stalks barely chest high.

My granddad always did the raised beds with RR ties. He would do one wide by two long in several different spots. Always grew Better Boys and Big Boys. He would have the deepest red and best tasting tomatoes. Course, he would get a truck load of mushroom soil from down the road to fill his beds up each year.

Grew his own grapes. His wine wasn't good, but his grape juice was heaven.

Its so hot in Texas the growing season is almost over. Had tomatoes in the ground before March. Been harvesting squash, eggplant, beans and tomatoes for a month and a half. Drought and heat about to kill it all. Only so much watering I can do.

Where did you get the marai seed. I'd like to try that. I've got silver queen and something simialr to peaches and cream. My corn always stunts though. I've got ears coming off stalks barely chest high.

Sweet Corn Mirai 301 BC F1 Insect Guard - Supersweet Augmented Bicolors - Bicolor Sweet Corn - Corn, Sweet Corn - Vegetable Seed | Harris Seeds

I have 12 rows of it and 4 rows of popcorn

Also, we had the same problem with P&C . I think there is some bad seed going around. Mirai makes like crazy and its got the best taste of any sweet corn I have ever had.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back