The fastest current/future Vols

I ran a semi legit, hand timed 4.7 in high school.. That was 40+ years ago, but I'm pretty sure I could still turn a 4.7 though....

......in 40 feet..... 😎
I ran a 4.49 and I can guarantee you I can’t even get close to that anymore and I’m only 30 lol.... I’d be surprised if I could run a 5 something lol

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Guys that can actually run a 4.50 accurately timed 40 yard sprint are not easily found. Guys that weigh over 200 pounds that can run a true accurately timed 4.50 are even fewer and farther between. We've had this discussion in other threads but running a 40 in an accurately timed 4.50 is blazing fast. Many high schools don't have one that can do it.
Spot on right here! You don't see many guys with laser timed 4.5s and under because they just aren't out there. Run a laser timed 4.4 on a grass HS field is world class.

Reactions: Vol_0311 and Remy
I ran a semi legit, hand timed 4.7 in high school.. That was 40+ years ago, but I'm pretty sure I could still turn a 4.7 though....

......in 40 feet..... 😎

I ran a 5.0 and was very disappointed until I was informed that running in full pads, including the helmet, uphill against the crown of the football field, was not how most players got timed.

Goodness. I know we are deep at QB, but that sort of speed from Holiday at QB would be truly lethal. Doesn't exactly fit Chaney's style though.

Are these times especially for HS players on
Grass
artificial turf
Polyurethane track
I know a lot of HS track/football players get timed in 40's on high speed surface tracks with their spikes. A little different from pads on grass.with cleats.

......in 40 feet..... 😎

Here is how some of these HS times are BS

In HS, I ran the 40 with 3 different people doing hand timing with the wind at my back. One said I ran it at 4.89, the others said 5.04 and 5.05. The HS coach took the best time and rounded down so he would say I ran a 4.8

I ran a 4.49 and I can guarantee you I can’t even get close to that anymore and I’m only 30 lol.... I’d be surprised if I could run a 5 something lol
Back then, i was built like a typical WR ... with the speed you would expect ... of a right tackle.

But I did block a punt once.

Was playing center at the time. True story.

Last edited:
The last real blazing speed WR threat we have had was Justin Hunter. I'd have to go all the way back to Jonathan Wade before that, unless I missed someone.

Hey, any update on Dee lately? I haven't heard anything around town or in the media.
We've not spoken to his dad since school started and really not heard much from camp. He's a quiet kid, keeps things to himself so you're not going to get much out of him anyway. Sounds like they are going to use him just like they told him, all over the field. If he's in the gameplan then he's going to shock South Carolina and cause some matchup problems as they'll have to choose a LB or big DB to try and stay with him. I still think that he's going to be our most used and most productive Fr, unless Bailey finds his way onto the field early.

VN Store

Back