The constructive what do we do about ISIS and the Taliban thread

lawgator1

Mods, please do not move this or fold it into another thread. This thread is not about the political consequences of what has happened. This thread is about what the US ought to do MOVING INTO THE FUTURE as to ISIS and the Taliban.

We all know that reprisals are in the offing, as they should be. And we all know such will be used to recruit more ISIS and Taliban fighters. And there will be more terror, and more reprisals.

Is there a long-term solution? The Taliban by all accounts is not as interested in global terror as ISIS. The Taliban want their own country, i.e. Afghanistan, and to run it the way they see fit. We find their ways abhorrent, i.e. the way they treat women. But what is our obligation to interfere in their way of life to the point that we engender more of this cycle of never ending violence?

Do we let them have their own country. Leave it completely alone. No effort to intervene to stop human rights abuses. No effort to have Western cultural influence. Just leave them be. Or do we continue to have the delusion that we can persuade them to join the 21st century?

And ISIS. Shall we bomb them and consequences be damned? Maybe announce to the world that in 3 days we will mass bombard their leadership and strongholds. Anyone smart should get miles away form them. If you hide them then you will go to see Allah with them.

Leave Afghanistan and the Taliban alone as long as they stay within the confines of Afghanistan. If they allow ISIS or any other terrorist organization to use Afgan territory for training or support we bomb the ever living **** out of them.

Mods, please do not move this or fold it into another thread. This thread is not about the political consequences of what has happened. This thread is about what the US ought to do MOVING INTO THE FUTURE as to ISIS and the Taliban.

We all know that reprisals are in the offing, as they should be. And we all know such will be used to recruit more ISIS and Taliban fighters. And there will be more terror, and more reprisals.

Is there a long-term solution? The Taliban by all accounts is not as interested in global terror as ISIS. The Taliban want their own country, i.e. Afghanistan, and to run it the way they see fit. We find their ways abhorrent, i.e. the way they treat women. But what is our obligation to interfere in their way of life to the point that we engender more of this cycle of never ending violence?

Do we let them have their own country. Leave it completely alone. No effort to intervene to stop human rights abuses. No effort to have Western cultural influence. Just leave them be. Or do we continue to have the delusion that we can persuade them to join the 21st century?

And ISIS. Shall we bomb them and consequences be damned? Maybe announce to the world that in 3 days we will mass bombard their leadership and strongholds. Anyone smart should get miles away form them. If you hide them then you will go to see Allah with them.

Three days my a**. that should have happened already at daybreak this morning.

Leave Afghanistan and the Taliban alone as long as they stay within the confines of Afghanistan. If they allow ISIS or any other terrorist organization to use Afgan territory for training or support we bomb the ever living **** out of them.

100% spot on

Reactions: NEO
/thread

And extend that response to ANY country that harbors terrorist camps which act outside of their harbor country. Then actually follow thru and carpet bomb the first bad actor that defies the threat. If the harboring country responds with aggression destroy their seat of government buildings.

Reactions: NEO and lukeneyland
That might work . . . as long as they're doing everything in view of our satellites.

We have been world police since the end of WW2. We have our own issues here at home. It’s time to focus on us.
Sibling rivalry is fine. But we need to immediately end anybody that attacks us again. With extreme prejudice

At some point, you have to realize that installing democracy will not work everywhere. I would have thought we would have learned that after Vietnam, but we have not. As strange as it might sound to us, some people prefer violence, chaos, and the like. Take for example the episode of The Andy Griffith Show where the husband and wife were always fighting with each other. Andy got them to get along, and they just took their hostilities out on everyone else. Some countries are like that. They fought with slingshots and rocks before there were guns, and not a soul will change that until they realize there is a more peaceful way to live life. I know that sounds cold, but reality is not always nice.

This. But I don't trust our military, the MIC, our intelligence agencies or the CINC to not **** it up royally and put us back in the same mess we're in right now.

Reactions: hog88

This is where I am as well. They've shown a desire to do that, but they need to actually follow through on it.

Are they trustworthy? No. But we can let them know that we will hold them individually responsible for keeping ISIS-K in check. They attack us, we hit ISIS-K times 5 and hit them as well.

Get competent leadership in place to make that decision is numero uno on the list, until that happens nothing constructive will be done, just more war, deaths and tax dollars wasted.

I'd add that if we are forced to do something about them, there are no rules of engagement. Anything and everything goes.

Reactions: 825VOL and NEO
Yep. The people of Afg have shown they don't want to govern themselves. Taliban is about the best they'll get

Yep. The people of Afg have shown they don't want to govern themselves. Taliban is about the best they'll get

I think that is a key concept here. We will simply NEVER get the ideal solution. We never were going to get that. And maybe that was a mistake from the beginning. The Afghans were never going to "see the light" and become more Western.

So take the best of the worst and make it work.

VN Store

Back