The constructive what do we do about ISIS and the Taliban thread

Yes. But that still involves American pilots flying over that pile of sand and rocks.

I’d much prefer to simply lob missiles from the safety of US Destroyers parked in the Gulf.
Nobody is “at risk” when a B-2 unleashes a load of JDAMs into “the funnel” from 40kft+ which are then direct linked in flight by the paired up E-3 on station to the latest up to date targeting information. It is the realization of video game warfare.

Edit: I think it’s JDAM that is inflight retargetable. If it isn’t there is a newer ordnance or the PIP variant that can do it.

Last edited:
Nobody is “at risk” when a B-2 unleashes a load of JDAMs into “the funnel” from 40kft+ which are then direct linked in flight by the paired up E-3 on station to the latest up to date targeting information. It is the realization of video game warfare.

Edit: I think it’s JDAM that is inflight retargetable. If it isn’t there is a newer ordnance or the PIP variant that can do it.
I’m sure it’s probably one of the safer missions one can fly. I’d still prefer not to even send them over, even at 40,000 feet.

I’m sure it’s probably one of the safer missions one can fly. I’d still prefer not to even send them over, even at 40,000 feet.
We’ve always got an entire fleet of MQ-9’s. 🤷‍♂️

In this day and age we can literally fly an attack mission from 15,000 miles away in an air conditioned office. If we get shot down we cuss, grab our Big Gulp in disgust, and indignantly walk out of the Ground Control Station.

Reactions: 85SugarVol
Until you deal with the funding and support of this so-called ISIS-K group, you're not going to get anything accomplished and may even spend more time in conflict over there. Islamic State In Syria/ISIS is now setting up a branch in Afghanistan? And you guys by that? Who's funding them? Who's arming them? It's funny that we can freeze assets of every Russian or Taliban or low level goon, but when it comes to finding the source of financing for a group that has enough pull to set up international branches and make all kinds of arms purchases and move men and material wherever they please... we got nothing.

There is a reason why Trump negotiated with the Taliban on the May 1st date. The Taliban of today is not the same group from 2001. They have too much at stake right now to have been involved in an attack and had nothing to gain from the attack. All this evening does is probably assure us of a longer stay, more troops and more conflict. Had this occurred on September 1st after the new deadline, I might have bought it.

This so-called ISIS-K group just made every Bush and Obama era MIC apparatchik gain a little more justification for keeping boots on the ground there a bit longer.

ISIS-K... you guys will believe anything the media feeds your azz.

Reactions: VolStrom and hog88
36ebba9c-62a3-4f64-89f5-21b68524c6f1_text.gif

We’ve always got an entire fleet of MQ-9’s. 🤷‍♂️

In this day and age we can literally fly an attack mission from 15,000 miles away in an air conditioned office. If we get shot down we cuss, grab our Big Gulp in disgust, and indignantly walk out of the Ground Control Station.
Damnit Man! I just wanna fire some missiles from a submerged Virginia. Just a few…

Is that too much to ask?!

Reactions: NorthDallas40
Where's the nearest "friendly" air base going to be now?
A B-2 crew can eat breakfast with their family in Missouri, go preflight their aircraft and depart from well within the interior of the US, refuel in flight to their release point, drop their weapons, refuel on the way home, land and tuck their kids in late for bed.

If we need to operate UAVs in the region we already do so from the surrounding countries of Afghanistan. We have no need at all to be in Afghanistan to monitor and attack terrorists in Afghanistan

A B-2 crew can eat breakfast with their family in Missouri, go preflight their aircraft and depart from well within the interior of the US, refuel in flight to their release point, drop their weapons, refuel on the way home, land and tuck their kids in late for bed.

If we need to operate UAVs in the region we already do so from the surrounding countries of Afghanistan. We have no need at all to be in Afghanistan to monitor and attack terrorists in Afghanistan

This is what I and I presume Velo were talking about - what's the closest place to launch these? I know the directly neighboring countries rejected our requests and I presume flying them over Iran is not kosher.

What do we have in range that could spend any meaningful time to gather intel. Does Pakistan let us fly over?

This is what I and I presume Velo were talking about - what's the closest place to launch these? I know the directly neighboring countries rejected our requests and I presume flying them over Iran is not kosher.

What do we have in range that could spend any meaningful time to gather intel.
I believe there are MQ-9’s operating in the area still I’ll just leave it at that.

We operate UAVs flying all over the world out of Arizona.

What do we have in range that could spend any meaningful time to gather intel. Does Pakistan let us fly over?

Some of our UAVs can be airborne 24 hours or more, I think some are even capable off in air refueling so we can keep a close eye on them.

Those can both be launched from carriers in the Gulf

do we have an agreement to fly over Pakistan? looking at a map it's about 200 miles from the Gulf of Oman to the southern border of Afghanistan going over Pakistan - then it's another 250 or more to Kabul area. looking at 1000 miles round trip minimum from a carrier and that's not counting much cruising around observation/intel time.

VN Store

Back