The Coffee Thread

A $30 Aeropress seems a bargain for coffee insurance in case of apocalypse.

I got one a few years back after reading about it on here. It never really did it for me.

My latest kick is cold brewed. I have to make myself stop drinking it at 4 or 5 in the afternoon. I make about 3.5 gallons at a time and love it!

I got one a few years back after reading about it on here. It never really did it for me.

My latest kick is cold brewed. I have to make myself stop drinking it at 4 or 5 in the afternoon. I make about 3.5 gallons at a time and love it!

How do you make yours? I love a good cold brew and haven’t made more than 1/2 a gallon at a time

C2EC2F62-4713-4648-90F7-CA145E02CA11.jpeg
Last two roast from tonight. It’s a Kenya Peaberry. It was my first time roasting these beans and the first (top) roast went way darker than I would’ve wanted. The second (bottom) roast I had a better feel for the beans and didn’t let it go as dark.

All in all I did four roast tonight. Can’t wait to try them and see how they turn out.

How do you make yours? I love a good cold brew and haven’t made more than 1/2 a gallon at a time

I use 4 - 12 oz bags of coffee from Aldi (somehow got hooked on hazelnut at Panera a few years back) in a fine mesh bag (like brewers use), a 5 gallon bucket, and 3.5-4 gallons of water. Let it brew in refrigerator for 24 hours. Supposed to keep refrigerated up to 2 weeks - I always drink it quicker than that. I like mine with a little heavy cream.

I use 4 - 12 oz bags of coffee from Aldi (somehow got hooked on hazelnut at Panera a few years back) in a fine mesh bag (like brewers use), a 5 gallon bucket, and 3.5-4 gallons of water. Let it brew in refrigerator for 24 hours. Supposed to keep refrigerated up to 2 weeks - I always drink it quicker than that. I like mine with a little heavy cream.
Thanks! I haven’t tried any of Aldis coffee

I’ve been making iced pour over recently in a v60.
35g of coffee ground a little finer than usual pour over/drip coffee.
500g total water weight split into about 170g of ice and 330g of water, with the ice being in the bottom of the brewer.
70g of water to bloom with a long bloom time of 1 minute then adding the rest of the water.
Shoot to have all the iced melted, if some ice remains use slightly less ice and more water next time.

There’s a slightly odd flavor most cold brews have and this gets rid of that and still has great flavor. Apparently it’s also really popular way to make coffee in Japan as well.

How was the Ethiopia cold brew? Ethiopia coffees are one of my favorites, roasted light/medium they can have lots of blueberry and fruit flavors.
Good, but I am much more of a fan of the chocolatey notes. The guy that does them like the lighter roasts more so I think he more highly recommends those, but his dark roasts (he's also got a Kenya dark roast that is stellar) are what I prefer.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
Good, but I am much more of a fan of the chocolatey notes. The guy that does them like the lighter roasts more so I think he more highly recommends those, but his dark roasts (he's also got a Kenya dark roast that is stellar) are what I prefer.
I’m in the Murfreesboro area, is there anywhere near there where you buy them? Or maybe online? Always like supporting local roasters.

Just seeing this coffee thread. Nice.

If you’re interested in trying new coffee, Trade coffee is a pretty cool subscription service. When you sign up you can only go every 1/2/3 weeks delivery, but after signing up you can push all the way out to every 6 weeks, really flexible option. Only charge by the delivery. $15-$21 / bag. It’s all small craft beans. You can pick what you want to try as well. I haven’t had a bad bag yet!

I prefer expresso and iced americanos. Got a cold brew pitcher, and it’s climbing the ranks as well. Such a creamy cup of black coffee. No bite, just the flavors. Great way to brew!

Reactions: DocVOLiday
I’ve been a dedicated aero press guy for years. A month or so ago I decided to try out something else after hearing about these products on a podcast I listen to regularly. I have come to really like this combo for a more than one cup option.
Great tunable temp kettle.
Miroco Electric Kettle Temperature Control 1.7L Double Wall Keep Warm, Anti-scald Tea Kettle 100% Stainless Steel BPA-Free Hot Tea Kettle, Auto Shut-Off, Boil-Dry Protection, 1500W Fast Boiling-120V

This for the press. It does a great job. Keeps coffee hot for a while too.

Secura French Press Coffee Maker, 304 Grade Stainless Steel Insulated Coffee Press with 2 Extra Screens, 34oz (1 Litre), Silver

I still like the aero press but this combo is really great with coarse ground beans.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back