The Coffee Thread

tbh

Adequately Gruntled Member
I used to be a coffee snob.
Tried I guess a hundred types.
To me most were no better or not as good as Classic Roast Folgers. You get some cans that are surprisingly good. Other cans so-so. As with any blend.
Blue Mountain and another brand I used to buy in Puerto Rico ( I can't recall the name) are the only ones I would pay big money for.
Yep, I have had the same experience, generally. I usually buy the medium roast Folgers/Maxwell House/Brand X that happens to be on sale when I'm at the grocery store. It's early enough in the morning that my main goal is a warm caffeine vehicle that doesn't taste bad, and any of those listed check the boxes for me. I'll take a proper breakfast tea over dark roast any day, though.

Honestly in my case I think part of the allure of the Costa Rican and Colombian coffee that I've had is that it was super-fresh and the other part being the "hey, I'm on vacation and I'm having a good time so the sun is a bit brighter today and dayum, this coffee is great!" factor.

GVF

Absolut Orange
My dad was all about Folger's. Silk or dark silk. As good as it came for drip makers.

I am into the Italian moka pots, and Cafe Bustelo is my go to coffee. Hard to beat. especially for the money.

But, my wife got me an Aero Press espresso maker for xmas. Alton Brown's go to coffee maker after spending thousands on just about every coffee maker according to him. $27 on amazon. Hand presser. Love it. And Cafe Bustello is still my favorite. But, wife had some gift cards from students for Starbucks. I generally despise their coffee. Over roasted, overrated and always burnt tasting. But, I had hte cards. So, I got a bag of Siren's Blend, and a bag of Guatemala Antigua. Both are exceptional in the Aero Press. I haven't used the Moka Pot since Xmas.

tbh

Adequately Gruntled Member
My dad was all about Folger's. Silk or dark silk. As good as it came for drip makers.

I am into the Italian moka pots, and Cafe Bustelo is my go to coffee. Hard to beat. especially for the money.

But, my wife got me an Aero Press espresso maker for xmas. Alton Brown's go to coffee maker after spending thousands on just about every coffee maker according to him. $27 on amazon. Hand presser. Love it. And Cafe Bustello is still my favorite. But, wife had some gift cards from students for Starbucks. I generally despise their coffee. Over roasted, overrated and always burnt tasting. But, I had hte cards. So, I got a bag of Siren's Blend, and a bag of Guatemala Antigua. Both are exceptional in the Aero Press. I haven't used the Moka Pot since Xmas.
I've read some good things about the Aero Press. Do you use the disposable filters, or the reusable discs?

GVF

Absolut Orange
I've read some good things about the Aero Press. Do you use the disposable filters, or the reusable discs?
Disposable. There's 300 in a pack. And you can brew/press maybe 2 cups or close of Americana coffee if you choose. It's more economical on coffee use than the moka pot. The flavor is better than the moka, which is better than the french press. After having it, I stand totally behind any claims on the aero press. Technically, I guess it is a form of French Press for espresso ground coffee, whereas a regular FP uses coarse ground.

mad4vols

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
Any help would be appreciated.
My daughter decided to stop drinking Red Bull.
What is the best method to making good strong cold coffee?
Is cold brew a good option?

ButchPlz

Any help would be appreciated.
My daughter decided to stop drinking Red Bull.
What is the best method to making good strong cold coffee?
Is cold brew a good option?
I'd recommend getting something like this:
And a big mason jar and making it overnight that way. It's pretty simple and makes super strong stuff.

ButchPlz

My mom got me a little pack of kopi luwak for Christmas, and let me tell you, it's worth the hype. The beans smelled like sweet cocoa and the coffee had a really clear chocolate note.

Now we're down in Peru so we're going to hunt around Lima for some shops.

VN Store