The Coffee Thread

I used to be a coffee snob.
Tried I guess a hundred types.
To me most were no better or not as good as Classic Roast Folgers. You get some cans that are surprisingly good. Other cans so-so. As with any blend.
Blue Mountain and another brand I used to buy in Puerto Rico ( I can't recall the name) are the only ones I would pay big money for.

Yep, I have had the same experience, generally. I usually buy the medium roast Folgers/Maxwell House/Brand X that happens to be on sale when I'm at the grocery store. It's early enough in the morning that my main goal is a warm caffeine vehicle that doesn't taste bad, and any of those listed check the boxes for me. I'll take a proper breakfast tea over dark roast any day, though.

Honestly in my case I think part of the allure of the Costa Rican and Colombian coffee that I've had is that it was super-fresh and the other part being the "hey, I'm on vacation and I'm having a good time so the sun is a bit brighter today and dayum, this coffee is great!" factor.

Reactions: tnutater
My dad was all about Folger's. Silk or dark silk. As good as it came for drip makers.

I am into the Italian moka pots, and Cafe Bustelo is my go to coffee. Hard to beat. especially for the money.

But, my wife got me an Aero Press espresso maker for xmas. Alton Brown's go to coffee maker after spending thousands on just about every coffee maker according to him. $27 on amazon. Hand presser. Love it. And Cafe Bustello is still my favorite. But, wife had some gift cards from students for Starbucks. I generally despise their coffee. Over roasted, overrated and always burnt tasting. But, I had hte cards. So, I got a bag of Siren's Blend, and a bag of Guatemala Antigua. Both are exceptional in the Aero Press. I haven't used the Moka Pot since Xmas.

Reactions: tbh
My dad was all about Folger's. Silk or dark silk. As good as it came for drip makers.

I am into the Italian moka pots, and Cafe Bustelo is my go to coffee. Hard to beat. especially for the money.

But, my wife got me an Aero Press espresso maker for xmas. Alton Brown's go to coffee maker after spending thousands on just about every coffee maker according to him. $27 on amazon. Hand presser. Love it. And Cafe Bustello is still my favorite. But, wife had some gift cards from students for Starbucks. I generally despise their coffee. Over roasted, overrated and always burnt tasting. But, I had hte cards. So, I got a bag of Siren's Blend, and a bag of Guatemala Antigua. Both are exceptional in the Aero Press. I haven't used the Moka Pot since Xmas.

I've read some good things about the Aero Press. Do you use the disposable filters, or the reusable discs?

I've read some good things about the Aero Press. Do you use the disposable filters, or the reusable discs?
Disposable. There's 300 in a pack. And you can brew/press maybe 2 cups or close of Americana coffee if you choose. It's more economical on coffee use than the moka pot. The flavor is better than the moka, which is better than the french press. After having it, I stand totally behind any claims on the aero press. Technically, I guess it is a form of French Press for espresso ground coffee, whereas a regular FP uses coarse ground.

Reactions: tbh
I have a french press, but I've never cared for it vs other brewing methods. But, wanting to give it another chance, I came across a difference technique and was very pleased:

Even if I never attempt this, enjoyed watching.

Any help would be appreciated.
My daughter decided to stop drinking Red Bull.
What is the best method to making good strong cold coffee?
Is cold brew a good option?

Any help would be appreciated.
My daughter decided to stop drinking Red Bull.
What is the best method to making good strong cold coffee?
Is cold brew a good option?
I'd recommend getting something like this:

And a big mason jar and making it overnight that way. It's pretty simple and makes super strong stuff.

Reactions: MAD
My mom got me a little pack of kopi luwak for Christmas, and let me tell you, it's worth the hype. The beans smelled like sweet cocoa and the coffee had a really clear chocolate note.

Now we're down in Peru so we're going to hunt around Lima for some shops.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
My mom got me a little pack of kopi luwak for Christmas, and let me tell you, it's worth the hype. The beans smelled like sweet cocoa and the coffee had a really clear chocolate note.

Now we're down in Peru so we're going to hunt around Lima for some shops.
Lol good luck in Lima. 99% of Peruvians drink instant coffee inexplicably. You can find some real beans in Lima but you'll need to go into the markets and speak Spanish to not be had. If you're in Cusco, you're much closer to the source. I know where to send you there for them.

Lol good luck in Lima. 99% of Peruvians drink instant coffee inexplicably. You can find some real beans in Lima but you'll need to go into the markets and speak Spanish to not be had. If you're in Cusco, you're much closer to the source. I know where to send you there for them.
Yep, my wife's family drinks exclusively instant. Last time we were here I found one good shop but it was tiny. We're going to have more time to explore around next week so maybe I can find something.

Usually for everyday at home it's Dunkin. I really like the flavor; plus it's deceptively strong, even though it naturally looks very light after a drip. An underrated place around the Nashville area is White Bison. Not quite Starbucks expensive, but much better product.

At work every day we have Folgers Classic Roast. It's horrid, but it's coffee.

I see amazon has a lot of whole bean coffee to choose from, but anywhere else a good place to shop around?

I see amazon has a lot of whole bean coffee to choose from, but anywhere else a good place to shop around?

Sam's Club has whole bean coffee; that's where I buy mine to grinding later and then making cold brew.

Reactions: TVOLS

I like to go to the Fresh Market and stand around in the fresh coffee and breath in the aroma. They have huge selection of whole bean and ground. Or you can pick the whole bean you like and grind it yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: TVOLS
Buy direct from a roastery if you want good stuff. Most stuff on Amazon or at a grocery store will be 1 month+ old. Usually older.
Our neighborhood roastery (I’d never heard that term; thanks!) was sold to new owners and turned into a coffee and tea “library” 🙄, and now we’ve lost our source of local fresh-roasted beans. We haven’t found a local substitute we like, so for now it’s Peets on Amazon. The dates on the first two bags were not bad, but we’ll see how long that lasts. ☕

VN Store

Back