The Coffee Thread

I don't dare mention wanting to try any kind of new coffee to my wife. I even so much as mutter "I wonder if that's any good?" and suddenly Amazon is dropping off a 96 count box at our house.

I'm still on the K-cup kick since they are simple. I really like the Black Rifle Coffee AK-47 blend. Though lately I've been buying the 1850 Pioneer and Peet's Major Dickason pods.

I'm a missionary working with the Church here

We have a nephew who lived there and did his work over the internet. He later did the same thing in Buenos Aires. He moved to Columbia to live and was kidnapped.
That and marriage ended his foreign living days. at least for now.
He loved Cusco.

We have a nephew who lived there and did his work over the internet. He later did the same thing in Buenos Aires. He moved to Columbia to live and was kidnapped.
That and marriage ended his foreign living days. at least for now.
He loved Cusco.

I know it's a coffee thread, but I would really like to hear more about the kidnapping you so nonchalantly mentioned.

Sounds like it was a happy ending.

I was given a Delonghi espresso machine since last posting in this thread. Fresh, locally-roasted beans produce the best coffee. Vienna is awesome, but they don't sell their espresso in grocery stores, so I have to get it from Maryville. I have also started drinking my coffee black, with just a little hot water dilution.

The Keurig hardly ever gets used, anymore.

This may have been mentioned in this thread already but I saw this on Amazon:

Amazon Death Wish

The reviews are hilarious but seriously they have 4.6/5 stars and over 21 thousand reviews. That's saying something.

The best coffee I've had is from a little place in Williamsport, PA called Alabaster.

There is a new roaster where I live that's getting real close. He's better and better each round and he was already good.

Another favorite of mine was a little roaster in Wise, VA but I believe they only do wholesale batches now.

I know it's a coffee thread, but I would really like to hear more about the kidnapping you so nonchalantly mentioned.

Sounds like it was a happy ending.

It was a huge deal to him. He thought he was going to die. Abducted might be the correct word. He flew to Columbia, and took what was supposed to be a safe cab to his hotel. On the way to the hotel the cab pulled in an alley where two guys on motorcycles pulled up, and drug him out of the cab. They keep him for a while and took everything then took him to ATMs to withdraw money with credit cards. After the 2nd ATM transaction a policeman walked around the corner almost a block away. He took off running to the cop, and the bad guys ran the other way.
He was supposed to fly to a different city to live and work, but flew back to Asheville instead. He was still scared, and was afraid that they were coming after him even after getting home. I think that has been about 8 years? Ago.

It was a huge deal to him. He thought he was going to die. Abducted might be the correct word. He flew to Columbia, and took what was supposed to be a safe cab to his hotel. On the way to the hotel the cab pulled in an alley where two guys on motorcycles pulled up, and drug him out of the cab. They keep him for a while and took everything then took him to ATMs to withdraw money with credit cards. After the 2nd ATM transaction a policeman walked around the corner almost a block away. He took off running to the cop, and the bad guys ran the other way.
He was supposed to fly to a different city to live and work, but flew back to Asheville instead. He was still scared, and was afraid that they were coming after him even after getting home. I think that has been about 8 years? Ago.

Thanks for the reply. Scary situation for sure. Could have turned out a lot worse.

Anyone here ever tried roasting their own coffee? It’s something I’ve recently got into. It isn’t nearly as complicated as you might think. It’s pretty satisfying to roast and drink your own coffee and it usually beats anything you can buy anywhere except for local roastery or online.

Anyone here ever tried roasting their own coffee? It’s something I’ve recently got into. It isn’t nearly as complicated as you might think. It’s pretty satisfying to roast and drink your own coffee and it usually beats anything you can buy anywhere except for local roastery or online.
No, but now I want to.

Do I need to grow my own coffee beans too?

That’s weird.
I almost text you last night.
Things are as good as they can be all things considered. You?
I almost text you lol
but yeah everything is going well. Things getting interesting work wise. They’re screening all employees as they come in and only allowing one person per patient and no one under 18 in the hospital.

Roasting coffee is pretty easy. I’m using a heat gun and flour sifter. Started with a popcorn popper.

I almost text you lol
but yeah everything is going well. Things getting interesting work wise. They’re screening all employees as they come in and only allowing one person per patient and no one under 18 in the hospital.

Roasting coffee is pretty easy. I’m using a heat gun and flour sifter. Started with a popcorn popper.
I’m going to be watching videos all night tonight. Lol

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
I’m going to be watching videos all night tonight. Lol
Sweet Maria’s is a great site for home roasting. Lots of videos and information on their. They’re who I bought my first green beans from. Got 4lbs and a popper for 20$.

I’d also recommend getting a router speed control if you don’t have one to help adjust the temperature so you don’t burn the beans. Only downside is it also controls the fan speed so you have to use something to stir the beans at the start.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Just bought five pounds of French Roast beans in four separate bags and added to freezer after pondering what it would be like to be confined in our house with my husband for eight weeks when running out of coffee after three weeks.

Thoughts and prayers for our venerable Mr. Coffee grinder.

Just bought five pounds of French Roast beans in four separate bags and added to freezer after pondering what it would be like to be confined in our house with my husband for eight weeks when running out of coffee after three weeks.

Thoughts and prayers for our venerable Mr. Coffee grinder.
If the grinder breaks.......Hammer time

Reactions: VolNExile
Roasted 2lbs of Bali Blue Moon and some Ethiopia and Guatemala coffee over the weekend. Traded some of the Ethiopia and Guatemala for some farm fresh eggs from a nurse at work.

Ordered an assortment of 11lbs of green beans from Happy Mug and Sweet Maria’s yesterday. One of them is a Guatemalan natural process that is supposed to have flavor notes of white chocolate and berry. Can’t wait to try that one out.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back