The Cocktail Thread

...and LIT. Much rather have the girl get a nice quick buzz from a LIT and finish what she started versus having a few shots and throwing up in my lap.

At least the LIT staves off the puking until the next day when the ****load of sugar rears its ugly head in the form of a hangover crafted in the 7th level of hell.

At least the LIT staves off the puking until the next day when the ****load of sugar rears its ugly head in the form of a hangover crafted in the 7th level of hell.

Yep, but I ain't drinking them and I sure ain't worried about the next day puking. :)

Reactions: 1 person
DF, what's the lowdown on shaken or stirred martinis? I only had w/ gin and stirred because shaking bruises the vermouth or so I've heard.

DF, what's the lowdown on shaken or stirred martinis? I only had w/ gin and stirred because shaking bruises the vermouth or so I've heard.

Gin martinis should always be stirred as it's the gin that bruises. Vodka martinis should always be shaken as there are no botanicals to agitate. As far as vermouth, you can technically bruise it in a shaker which is why it's best to just rinse the glass in vermouth instead of directly mixing it in the shaker.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not a Scotch drinker. Took a taste of Lagavulin - probably the first sip of a single malt I've ever had. Likely not the best choice as a starter.

I'm not a Scotch drinker. Took a taste of Lagavulin - probably the first sip of a single malt I've ever had. Likely not the best choice as a starter.

Probably not the best starting point for most. All depends on the individual palate, but I had to grow into peaty whiskies.

Probably not the best starting point for most. All depends on the individual palate, but I had to grow into peaty whiskies.

I would say that applies to everyone. I have occasionally pulled some peated Islay scotches on people to get a laugh, but most are not ready for one right off the bat. They are the deep end of the scotch pool.

Hey Dink,

Got some Monkey 47. What concoctions should I concoct with it?

I'm with golfballs on this one. I'd pour it into a mixing glass, toss a dash or two of orange bitters with it, stir for about 20 seconds, and serve it up with a lemon twist.

I'm sure it would be fine in a cocktail though. What sort of liqueurs do you have?

Laphroaig was love at first sip with me.

I actually had Lagavulin first, so I was pleased to find another rich, peat-forward Scotch I enjoyed that doesn't break the bank!

On another note: nothing says "summer" like a nice, simple Mojito -- fresh lime and mint is a must.

I'm with golfballs on this one. I'd pour it into a mixing glass, toss a dash or two of orange bitters with it, stir for about 20 seconds, and serve it up with a lemon twist.

I'm sure it would be fine in a cocktail though. What sort of liqueurs do you have?

virtually nothing liqueur wise. I have some Campari but the one Negroni I attempted was not good (not with this stuff).

Will try the martini method.

virtually nothing liqueur wise. I have some Campari but the one Negroni I attempted was not good (not with this stuff).

Will try the martini method.

W a nice gin I like to keep it simple. At least at first

I think negronis can be tricky. For me, the proportions need to be precise. Anything slightly off can taste way off balance

VN Store

Back