The ‘So Crazy It Just Might Work’ thread

What if...

... the Lady Vols tried training with weighted basketballs in order to improve the crispness of passing and to help with hand/arm strength??

Making chest passes with a heavy ball (NOT a medicine ball, a real ball) against a block wall is something that anyone can do — even on their own time. It helps both passers AND pass receivers get more conscious of really having to focus on the ball. A post player who might sometimes have trouble with it slipping through their fingers can benefit greatly from really having to focus on putting pressure on the ball at the catch point to keep it from hitting them in the chest or face.

If I were coaching this team, I’d spend the first part of the post workout with tge weighted balls. And ALL of the posts would wear a face protector of some sort to prevent them getting a broken nose if a high inbound pass slips through.

But that’s just me and my crazy ideas! lol

Check this out:

We know that folks from UT do, on occasion, pay at least some attention to social media because comments have been made that indicate they do. So, just in case someone connected with LVBB might put eyes on us this week for a few minutes, I’ve got another suggestion. Actually, more of a reminder that they probably don’t need. But I’m obsessed, so I’ll just blabber on to no one. lol

Just saying, we’re at the point in the season now that if they’re going to put in a sure-fire inbounds play or miracle “seven second”-type desperation scoring play (or any other kind of total surprise play) to pull on an unsuspecting opponent at Tourney Time, then NOW is the time to start devoting just a little time at the end of practices toward making that play(s) run smooth as silk under different scenarios. Gotta plan for the future ‘cause as my cousin says, “ain’t NObody thinkin’ anything’s gonna be easy” this postseason.

Gotta start thinking and planning and practicing the crap out of your secret weapon now so that it’ll be second-nature and everyone will walk onto the court with a twinkle in their eye, confident that it will work. :) Besides, I think doing that will inspire even more confidence in players that their staff is competent and has a workable plan.

Anyone else remember the story of how Pat had the Lady Vols practice that seven-second play that ended up getting us the literal last-second win against LSU to put us into the Final Four? I think I remember reading that the players (Parker, Hornbuckle, etc.) would kinda roll their eyes over it, but then it ended up launching them toward a national championship.

Now is the time to start think of a trick play or two to get us to the next game if we need a boost, and repetition is the key to the success! Go Lady Vols! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
If they don't already have several last second miracle plays, I'd be shocked. Sure hope that thing we did against Bama isn't one of them.

Also, what kid who's ever picked up a ball hasn't practiced the game winning shot, while counting down 3-2-1 out loud, over and over on the driveway goal? LOL, this is probably the one that happens more than the coaches' carefully calculated one.

Reactions: lvocd
If they don't already have several last second miracle plays, I'd be shocked. Sure hope that thing we did against Bama isn't one of them.

Also, what kid who's ever picked up a ball hasn't practiced the game winning shot, while counting down 3-2-1 out loud, over and over on the driveway goal? LOL, this is probably the one that happens more than the coaches' carefully calculated one.

True about the 3-2-1 game. I played that a lot, and all I can say is that I’m fortunate that no big game ever came down to ME having to take the desperation shot! :oops:

But as far as being shocked if they didn’t already have a few of those, I’d actually be kinda shocked if they did at this point. I’ve been under the impression that the staff has been deliberately slow-moving as this group learns, and so there’s a big part of me that suspects that building a trick-play arsenal wouldn’t be a priority — yet. That’s why I brought it up. If there’s a chance they haven’t gone there yet, it’s about time they start thinking about it.

By the way, I’m not talking about the normal in-bounds and after-time-out-type scoring plays every coach builds on throughout the season. I’m talking about that one or two plays that are never used until THE biggest moment of need possible. Like that seven-second play was.

But as far as being shocked if they didn’t already have a few of those, I’d actually be kinda shocked if they did at this point. I’ve been under the impression that the staff has been deliberately slow-moving as this group learns, and so there’s a big part of me that suspects that building a trick-play arsenal wouldn’t be a priority — yet. That’s why I brought it up. If there’s a chance they haven’t gone there yet, it’s about time they start thinking about it.
I'd be surprised if they didn't have at least one in place before the first game of the season. Coaches don't want to get caught unaware.

What if...

... the Lady Vols were to start using some old-school head/ball/shot/pass fakes to add another wrinkle to our offense? Why don’t more of today’s players use that terrific tool for getting space and/or getting the defense to commit one way to let them actually go the other way?

I would love, Love, LOVE for our players to be willing to work on that on their own time. It does take a lot of repetitions to become proficient at the various fake-off moves, but the payoff for our taller guards having to deal with smaller, quicker guards would be well worth the time and energy they put into it.

I hope everyone on this forum watched this, or for that matter, any game in which Larry Bird played; this one was not that extraordinary, not for him. And, did you hear Bill Russell refer to Boston’s “left-handed forward?”
Pat Riley once declared the Celtics of that early-to-mid-eighties era “the greatest starting five in basketball;” and I think he said “history.” Quite a statement from the arch rival coach who more than held his own against them.
While I’m rambling: something to really take note of regarding that incredible five - Parrish, McHale, Ainge, Johnson, and Bird - none of them were fast, certainly not by NBA standards. No spectacular “twitch fiber” “natural quickness,” etc., You could say the same for many of those from your neck of the woods - Taurasi, Bird (or is it Byrd), DelleDonne (I know, she didn’t stay for long); plus the great point guard from Gonzaga (Vandersloot?) and so many others.
So, while I surely hope that Coach Kellie can successfully recruit players with height, length, speed, etc., you still have to box out, make crisp, clean passes, DEFEND, hit open shots, secure the basketball, to consistently be a winner.
Thanks for the video.

Reactions: Rooster1
What if...

... the Lady Vols were to start using some old-school head/ball/shot/pass fakes to add another wrinkle to our offense? Why don’t more of today’s players use that terrific tool for getting space and/or getting the defense to commit one way to let them actually go the other way?

I would love, Love, LOVE for our players to be willing to work on that on their own time. It does take a lot of repetitions to become proficient at the various fake-off moves, but the payoff for our taller guards having to deal with smaller, quicker guards would be well worth the time and energy they put into it.

Definitely need more pass fakes to reduce turnovers. Pass fakes still seem very popular in the NBA... and effective. IMO we should almost always pass fake before wasting our dribble.

Definitely need more pass fakes to reduce turnovers. Pass fakes still seem very popular in the NBA... and effective. IMO we should almost always pass fake before wasting our dribble.

Yes! An average-speed ballhandler who might otherwise be fairly easily face-guarded by a smaller, quicker opponent can neutralize that opponent by being a heady player with an arsenal of well-practiced fake moves. Gosh how I wish our players would get the memo on that fact!

What if...

Totally agree! I mentioned this somewhere on here the other day. We have got to make a ball fake.

Would have saved us 10 turns in the UCONN and Kentucky games. We had so many picked passes for turnaround offense their direction in those contests. Give a ball fake and instead you’re making an easy pass to your wide open wing for a wide open shot. The defender is trying to recover and then someone has to help so their whole team defense breaks down on that side.

Ball fake, pump fake, ball swings, jab-steps,,,most all of these are lost arts

Yep. And the key to using them is to not use them all the time. Ya gotta use them so sparingly and at such random moments that defenders forget that you might do it.

Reactions: T_Vol376
If the Refs in the WCCB were any good we'd had about six to eight more fouls on LSU and some of those rebounds that they got so much credit for were over the backs not called. If there is one area where women's basketball could use a lot of improve it would be officials. I'm not saying we don't get some favorable calls as well, but after watching the LSU game again think we got the short end of the deal. Hopefully they are out to cheat Vandy Thursday night instead of us as LSU had at least 4 over the backs not called and two punches in the face to Brown not called.

What about developing a high low, with Key high, who has a nice 10 ft shot, and McCoy, KK, when she tries, or one day Sanders on the low block, dish to slashing Davis, Horston, Massengale, and wow, if we had Zay!

Reactions: VolBall09 and lvocd
Yes, to coaching but it's hard for me to understand how a player can continue to do the same thing over and over with the same negative result without eventually having an aha, lightbulb moment as a result of experience or from watching film.
First yr, huge improvement in every player, you want miracles go to Rome

First yr, huge improvement in every player, you want miracles go to Rome
Where did I say I haven't seen improvement? I have seen lots. I simply made a statement about players improving their game through experience and self analysis. Example KK, for two years now, continuing to bring the ball down to her waist often resulting in a turnover. At some point it should dawn on her that is not working. A common thread among all great players is how much ownership they took of their own game and the effort they put into honing their craft. As far as your infantile comment about wanting miracles and going to Rome, I'll ignore that and chalk it up to your inability to read with comprehension or bother to read the post I was referencing. You can get help for that.

What about developing a high low, with Key high, who has a nice 10 ft shot, and McCoy, KK, when she tries, or one day Sanders on the low block, dish to slashing Davis, Horston, Massengale, and wow, if we had Zay!

Key has a bright future...she is not a true post right now though. She has 1/3 of the post game down, blocks. The other 2/3 required of the post, rebounding with authority and scoring down low with strength, she is still developing. She is not aggressive enough yet, not strong enough yet. That is what will propel her game from here.. For now, can still be neutralized easily.

Volfan it drives me nuts how our girls just drive into traffic and lose the dang ball....Often they are wide open for the pull up 8-10 footer, but "no" into trouble they go.....Where's the coaching?
Hit the nail on the head. I am dumbfounded when I see them drive into traffic and lose the ball. They do not seem to understand that you do not drive to the basket unless you see an open lane.

Key has a bright future...she is not a true post right now though. She has 1/3 of the post game down, blocks. The other 2/3 required of the post, rebounding with authority and scoring down low with strength, she is still developing. She is not aggressive enough yet, not strong enough yet. That is what will propel her game from here.. For now, can still be neutralized easily.
I agree with your comment and Key is a world-class shot blocker.

Another idea from this dinosaur...

This coming offseason, send a selection of players to Point Guard College. Many top coaches over the years have taken advantage of the intensive training offered at various locations across the U.S.

I would send Jaz, Jordan, Jessie, Rennia and Rae. Obviously not all of them would get much, if any, time at PG next season, but ALL of them would benefit from the skills drills they’d learn. Ideally Zaay would be included in the group as well, but I doubt she’d be either medically cleared or mentally/physically in good enough condition at that point to go. Kellie is probably not going to want to take any chances with her.

Reactions: krichunaka
Another idea from this dinosaur...

This coming offseason, send a selection of players to Point Guard College. Many top coaches over the years have taken advantage of the intensive training offered at various locations across the U.S.

I would send Jaz, Jordan, Jessie, Rennia and Rae. Obviously not all of them would get much, if any, time at PG next season, but ALL of them would benefit from the skills drills they’d learn. Ideally Zaay would be included in the group as well, but I doubt she’d be either medically cleared or mentally/physically in good enough condition at that point to go. Kellie is probably not going to want to take any chances with her.

This is a great idea, but not because we do not have the personnel to teach those skills drills on-site, but because getting away from the daily grind can be a healthy, or literally a game-changing experience.

I have no idea what specifics are taught in such a setting, but we (I’m not going to single them out) need very little in physical skills training per se; we need to work more on our peripheral game(s). Because we have developed the bad habit of entering into places we dare not tread, with no escape plan.

Again - and I know that you know this - experience (and as new players arrive, competition) will go a long way in fixing this problem.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back