That third down call by Chaney...

Chaney's third down call that iced the game was clutch. There's no telling what happens if we had to punt it back to them.
I was calling a rollout after the first run, didn't think Chaney had the balls but it was definitely the winning call. This game was a grind and feels pretty good to win one in this fashion.

Reactions: mtowntim
1st time I've ever seen a decent glimpse of his "dual threat"ability. The run where he turned the corner and stayed in bounds for a 1st down--I couldn't believe it. Best run of his career.
Yeah im starting to see a little bit of Dobbs in him he's starting to beat teams with his feet if the pass isn't there. I never thought I'd say this but I hope he's here next year

True! JG picked up some tough yards with his wheels a few other plays too. Well done. Go Vols!

I have been very critical of JG for most of the year. He pulled this game out for us and did a very good job at QB. Chaney is going to have to keep in mind not to call a play where he has to hand off with his left hand...that was what caused the fumble tonight.

Before that 3rd down play, I'm thinking, OK, if we don't get the 1st down, do we punt out of our end zone or do we take an intentional safety and free kick from the 20. They have no timeouts and are not great at throwing the ball. Thank goodness for JG's run and we don't even have to make that decision.

Reactions: OneVolNation
I kept waiting for Jennings to run wildcat on 2nd and 3rd down..... But that was a great play call.

I thought the same. We always run it well out of the wild cat with Jennings. And with JG's I was thinking why risk it. But it worked out well and that 3rd down run was a great play call.

I really underestimated UK's defense going into this game. That third down call was about the only time we fooled them. The TD grabs by Calloway and Palmer were great plays with two guys battling for the ball.

Chaney's third down call that iced the game was clutch. There's no telling what happens if we had to punt it back to them.

Glad to see him not always be so conservative. I think you see alot of that was Kirby last year costing games. Kirby costing uga against bama in sec championship game....

Reactions: Big151Orange
1st time I've ever seen a decent glimpse of his "dual threat"ability. The run where he turned the corner and stayed in bounds for a 1st down--I couldn't believe it. Best run of his career.

Not gonna lie I thought the same thing. I really didn’t even want to admit he had a good game until he did that... but after that clutch play I knew he deserved a lot more credit for this win. It’s weird because I still don’t fully trust him with the ball but the more he proves me wrong the happier I am.

Huge play.

Though, I think we still win the game even without picking up the 1st there. Kentucky's offense took like 5 minutes to move the ball 30 yards, so them at mid-field with 1 minute left and 0 timeouts was probably a no-go for them. They would've been forced to pass the ball; something they avoided all game.

Still, I never want to leave the game to chance (see BYU). If you can win the game by picking up the 1st, then you absolutely try to do so by any means possible while still playing reasonably safe (i.e. no plays with higher turnover probabilities). Great call by Chaney and great execution by JG.

Reactions: robed20

VN Store

Back