Texas A&M/UT

I don’t believe that will be the case anymore.

I believe he will be a Gator

I don't think he goes home either.

He has a built in advantage by going to UF from UCF and its a substantially better job than Neb.

I wouldn't want Sumlin at all.

Dan Mullen has done ALOT at State for what he has to work with. Just imagine if he had the facilities and $$$ at Tennessee

I would be happy with Mullen too, but I doubt he would come. I heard an interview with his wife in August. She said they are very happy at State. Said the fans are very appreciative, unlike what they experienced at Florida. She said it wasn't enough to win, you had to score a lot of points. She even did her grocery shopping in Orlando. She wouldn't like the pressure at UT.

Fuente would be a good get, but I doubt he would leave Va Tech so soon. Jimmy Frank is not leaving PSU. Sumlin would be settling IMO. Besides, his handling of QBs makes me nervous (transfers and failing to sign Jalen Hurts).

Mullen's record at Miss State
2009 Mississippi State 5–7 3–5 T–4th (Western)
2010 Mississippi State 9–4 4–4 5th (Western) W Gator 17 15
2011 Mississippi State 7–6 2–6 5th (Western) W Music City
2012 Mississippi State 8–5 4–4 4th (Western) L Gator
2013 Mississippi State 7–6 3–5 T–5th (Western) W Liberty
2014 Mississippi State 10–3 6–2 2nd (Western) L Orange† 12 11
2015 Mississippi State 9–4 4–4 5th (Western) W Belk
2016 Mississippi State 6–7 3–5 T–5th (Western) W St. Petersburg
2017 Mississippi State 7–2 3–2 (Western)
Mississippi State: 68–44 32–37
Total: 68–44

Do you think Vols fans will be happy with the above?
0.607 overall winning percentage, losing record in the conference (0.464), winning record in mid-level bowl appearances.

Why do you think Dan will do so much better at UT?

Frustration has the best of the FF. Too much grasping at straws. Too many searching for a savior. Too many lazy hopes tossed about.

Pray that our AD will do his homework and make shrewd moves to improve coaching and programs, including football.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think he goes home either.

He has a built in advantage by going to UF from UCF and its a substantially better job than Neb.

I have been on Nebraska boards trying to get a feel on their side of things and more of them are pessimistic than not.

First of all, they aren't completely sure they are going to fire their coach.

Secondly, most think he would pick Florida anyway.

But, there are some "NegaHuskers" that hope the choice isn't even out there.

They feel if the choice is available and he picked Florida that it would truly be the death of their program. What would it mean to not be able to convince an alumnus from a national championship squad to take the job over another school. It's too terrible for some of them to think about.

On the Florida end, I'm hearing that whatever Frost wants, they will give him and he has a genuine interest in the job.

I actually expect this one to happen.

Trying not to get too excited about it because it's actually the hire I would want them to make.

0.607 overall winning percentage, losing record in the conference (0.464), winning record in mid-level bowl appearances.

Frustration has the best of the FF. Too much grasping at straws. Too many searching for a savior. Too many lazy hopes tossed about.

Pray that our AD will do his homework and make shrewd moves to improve coaching and programs, including football.

People think he would do better at Tennessee because it's a better job that would attract better recruits while facing an easier schedule.

Those who have that opinion may be right or wrong, but the logic makes sense.

You do have to grade these guys on a curve.

So, many guys will say...."I don't want that guy.....the best he did was 10-2". Like you're supposed to go 13-0 and make the playoff at Akron or someplace like that.

Dan Mullen took Mississippi State to the Orange Bowl.

He can coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Franklin yes. Fisher....not sure how emotionally invested he is into his career with all the personal problems. I'd pass on him. Mullen would seem to be a fairly safe choice. Rather middle of the road. I'd really want Fuente first. After that, I'd roll the dice with Frost or Campbell.

my list exactly. hope we get one of these guys.

You really have the savior thing right. A coach wins 5 games and this forum has guys fawning over him like little girls over their latest pop idol.

My husband and his Alabama friend were talking over the weekend about possible coaches for TN. He asked how we would feel about Lane Kiffin coming back and husband said no not after the way he left us even though it could be a smart move. His buddy said what if Lane ends up coaching the Gators?

My husband and his Alabama friend were talking over the weekend about possible coaches for TN. He asked how we would feel about Lane Kiffin coming back and husband said no not after the way he left us even though it could be a smart move. His buddy said what if Lane ends up coaching the Gators?
NCAA probation in 3, 2, 1. . . .

Reactions: 2 people

I wish they would.

neither Franklin or Sumlin won't coach at UT...Franklin ain't leaving Penn State and Big Jim wouldn't hire a just-fired coach who has trouble recruiting enough 5-stars in Texas...Mullen, on the other hand could work fine...he even speaks "southern"...Big Jim could even turn his hearing aids on...:)

GO VOLS!

Frost is a Gator IMO.

Don't know why Fisher or Franklin would want to leave their spots to go to the west, and A&M at that.

No, I think UT has a better shot at landing its target, than A&M landed either of their top 2. I would take Mullen over Chad Morris and I think Mullen is farther down the list than 3rd if you consider Frost a legit option anyway.

No on Sumlin. Today
Frost is a Nebraska guy.

Never Mullen average at best and difficult to manage. He can’t beat Bama and always has loss he not suppose to have. We can do better!

If our resident gator fans are saying Jimbo recruits the guys who are barely able to pass clearly house and some he calls in favors for do you really want him here? Eventually it will catchbupbto him.

Dennis Dodd added credence to the Franklin rumors today on the Finebaum show, said PSU is already aware that A&M is coming and they are already working on a new deal for Franklin. Franklin has already tweeted about being ‘happy’ at penn st as well, definite smoke. Pawwwl is the one who said he was hearing Jimbo to TAM.

Dodd said Mullen had his pick of UT, UF, or Nebraska depending where Frost went.

Do people not realize that Penn State is a great job? Why would Franklin ever leave for any other college job?

Florida State, too. If Jimbo Fisher is leaving, that should be an indicator that it’s not going very well. If you are considering Fisher, you should ask why he’s possibly leaving.

Plus who would you rather play on a yearly basis...Ohio St or Alabama??? Franklin has Penn State is a really good position in just a few years, right now Penn St is a way better job than Tennessee

Reactions: 1 person
Mullen 68-44 overall and 32-37 in SEC play through nine seasons in Starkville.

NO THANKS!
I'm going to show you how wrong you are.

How about this coach.
34-24 in 5 years. Coaches at a power five school. His best record is 9 wins and no conference titles.

His name, Nick Saban of Michigan State.

Comparing record at Mississippi State is like comparing Saban record at LSU and Bama to Michigan State. It's stupid.

Reactions: 4 people
Fuente, Campbell and Mullen are the best coaches we can get. My guess is Florida will charge hard for Mullen.

After that, Brohm, Norvell, Chryst, Patterson, Pruitt, Michigan DC, Doeren NCST HC, Bronco Mendenhall (old I think), etc.

I think Gruden is just using the process to "fluff" himself...unless ESPN wants to lay him off or get him to take a pay raise.

Don't know what, but there is some bad dirt on Chip Kelly or he would have had a job by now.

Fuente, Campbell and Mullen are the best coaches we can get. My guess is Florida will charge hard for Mullen.

After that, Brohm, Norvell, Chryst, Patterson, Pruitt, Michigan DC, Doeren NCST HC, Bronco Mendenhall (old I think), etc.

I think Gruden is just using the process to "fluff" himself...unless ESPN wants to lay him off or get him to take a pay raise.

Don't know what, but there is some bad dirt on Chip Kelly or he would have had a job by now.

Gruden is definitely not getting a pay raise from ESPN.

I don't believe Franklin leaves...BUT...I'm living among the fans. They are as insane as Vols fans are. MANY want him gone due to the past 2 games. Forget that he hasn't had time to sustain quality depth. Forget that they had been terrible prior to his arrival. "He can recruit, but can't coach." He's hi5ing when they are up but biting his nails when games get close." They expect a Natty just because they played great in the Rose Bowl against a Trojan team with no defense.

VN Store

Back