Texas A&M/UT

Seeing how I just joined, I guess I have missed them haha. I'm new to the forums side of being a fan. But that's my point anyways, we don't need a "hugger" we need a winner. But alas, you nailed it with the higher ups. Guess I'm still in the hopeful, delusional phase.

Ah, touche!

Didn't see the join date, etc.

Welcome, snack machines just down the hall. Bathrooms on your right. :p

Reactions: 2 people
Mullen will go to Fla if asked. Wish we could get him.

Don't think so. Mullen's wife didn't care for Gainesville, and Scott Stricklin still has roots in Starkville and would have trouble going home if he hired Mullen.

Should be in top 5 minimum.

Understandable. Just want the best for Tennessee whoever that is. Don’t want anyone who we have to google or would raise more concerns than praise. Wouldn’t be upset with Mullen. Just don’t think he’ll leave up to fans expectations.

Reactions: 1 person
Smoke on A&M boards with James Franklin and Jimbo Fisher. They aren't playing around. Their best fit (IMO) is 3rd on the list in Chad Morris. Morris has done what no their coach before him has done at SMU, actually rebuilt the program since the death penalty.

Looking at UT list, Gruden (fans list, not media). Scott Frost (best fit IMO) and Dan Mullen.

All six have pros and cons and different degrees of probability, but would you switch lists with A&M?

Would you take Sumlin?

Also, lots of smoke of Gus to Arkansas, either by AU firing him or him leaving outright.

Franklin: Not going anywhere, from the area, no reason to leave.

Fisher: YUUUUGE buyout. FSU already stated he's not going anywhere, not up for evaluation until next year.

Morris: I like him. He's done a great job at SMU so far, but the step from SMU to the SEC is massive. He'll be in a power conference at some point, and I'm interested to see how that fares.

Gruden: Gotta be the best (or at minimum the most exciting) name on this list. Part of me thinks it's actually possible where the rest of me feels like it's as much a pipe dream as Franklin to A&M. I'll believe it when I see it.

Frost: I like him a lot. He's going to be very, very good. May be a slightly disappointing hire, considering all eyes are on Gruden, and he has not had a chance to prove himself at the highest level, but I still hope Nebraska gets him instead of Florida.

Mullen: Good coach, gets the most out of his talent. Enough said.

Overall I think Franklin/Jimbo are impossible, and I'll take any of Gruden/Frost/Mullen over Morris, so give me the second list please!

Understandable. Just want the best for Tennessee whoever that is. Don’t want anyone who we have to google or would raise more concerns than praise. Wouldn’t be upset with Mullen.

Hiring Mullen results in us getting Todd Grantham at DC. Would be about the only DC hire that would be better than keeping Shoop.

Smoke on A&M boards with James Franklin and Jimbo Fisher. They aren't playing around. Their best fit (IMO) is 3rd on the list in Chad Morris. Morris has done what no their coach before him has done at SMU, actually rebuilt the program since the death penalty.

Looking at UT list, Gruden (fans list, not media). Scott Frost (best fit IMO) and Dan Mullen.

All six have pros and cons and different degrees of probability, but would you switch lists with A&M?

Would you take Sumlin?

Also, lots of smoke of Gus to Arkansas, either by AU firing him or him leaving outright.

Just FYI, June Jones had two 8 win seasons at SMU and won three bowl games. I was born in Dallas and casually follow them.

Hiring Mullen results in us getting Todd Grantham at DC. Would be about the only DC hire that would be better than keeping Shoop.

Agreed that would be a legit hire. I want the same amount of excitement that Alabama fans had when they hired Saban.

Uh, sure, because Miss. state and UT are so similar in history, facilities and recruiting.

The school does not win because of history. Facilities help with recruiting to a point, but the coach has to recruit and X & O regardless. Using your theory, any coach can come here and win because we have tradition, facilities, and recruits just want to come here. History says no. I like Mullen, but he makes about $4.5M with lower expectations. I think it would take $5 - $5.5M to get him here and don't think he is worth that risk. That kind of money means a long term commitment so he better work out. A 9 win season is ok for a couple of years but fans will want more by year three and beyond. We've just been through that.

Reactions: 1 person
Mullen would be a BUST....you folks are just kidding yourselves about his success at MSU....he had 2 decent years 4 years ago....but NADA since...

I disagree. He is in a division where 4 annual rivals, LSU, TAMU, Auburn, and Bama, are typically top 10 in recruiting evert year, and Bama is usually #1. And Ole Miss had some top 10 classes as well under Freeze. The last 5 recruiting classes for MSU have averaged #28, with their best class #16. That is slightly behind Kentucky recruiting under Mark Stoops. Now imagine UK in the West. Mullen,'s players are coached up. I would like to see him coach up more talented players.

Don’t really understand Mullen. We’ve had 3 coaches that couldn’t beat Alabama. Now we want to add a 4th?

If hiring a coach that has beaten Alabama is your criteria then it will be a very short list, like zero.

VN Store

Back