Teonni Key to UNC

Let me play the devils advocate.... I am the father/mother of 4 daughters and they all are good athletes who play basketball! And all of them are good enough to get college scholarships..... There is a local university in our community ( MTSU ). Right now we have two daughters getting a free education and we can go to all of their home games . But here comes the third daughter with more national attention! She has many offers from many schools and one from THE UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME !!!!! Do you want to give one of your daughters a degree from ND or MTSU ? This is a no brainer ...... Now if we lived in the North Carolina community and had an offer from UT .....? Would we want our daughter to go to UT or stay home and go to a more prestigious university! This is a no brainer also. JMO 🤔

Not that is matters, but the ”prestige” advantage you describe at NC doesn’t match other schools. Unless there was a recent change, their selectivity is on out of state students because by charter they must take 82% of students from NC. It’s not very selective for in state like Ms Key and not close to Duke, Wake and Davidson or ND and VU in your post.

Congrats on having daughters earning scholarships.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Not that is matters, but the ”prestige” advantage you describe at NC doesn’t match other schools. Unless there was a recent change, their selectivity is on out of state students because by charter they must take 82% of students from NC. It’s not very selective for in state like Ms Key and not close to Duke, Wake and Davidson or ND and VU in your post.

Congrats on having daughters earning scholarships.

Thanks for the information. I am not familiar with NC schools . Other than the men’s BB games at Duke and NC , Wake and UNC state and the close proximity. I have little knowledge other than to say Duke Has a well know academic status. I just thought that UNC was high academics as well ? Plus being close to where they live just made since to me ...
obviously Teonni felt good about her visit ... so why not stay close to home , friends , and family . Makes since to me ! I wish her well .

No, there are concerns about the coach because ALL the top flight recruits seem to be choosing different schools. Key is just the latest, and was considered her best shot by far at landing one to this point.

That's why comparing this situation to the Samuelsons is silly. Tara has clearly proven she can attract elite talent. Kellie hasn't...

giphy.gif

I'm shocked.

Last edited:
No, there are concerns about the coach because ALL the top flight recruits seem to be choosing different schools. Key is just the latest, and was considered her best shot by far at landing one to this point.

That's why comparing this situation to the Samuelsons is silly. Tara has clearly proven she can attract elite talent. Kellie hasn't...

"Second verse, same as the first....I'm Darthery the 8th I am..."

I have never called for Harper to be fired, but I do think this is her biggest coaching failure since she came. There's a hundred reasons you can give to rationalize why Key didn't come. Same with Rivers. Same with Verhulst. And on and on. The bottom line is recruiting is a huge part of coaching, and these are the battles Kellie needs to start winning for Tennessee to go where they want to go. It's great Kellie just got the 62nd ranked player, but without game changers you're going to stay a middling SEC team. If you can't close on a player with a sister on the team, then when?
Nonsense. You are thrilled Key did not commit to the Lady Vols. You have been very quiet as Kellie has been adding great recruits. Only now, when we are disappointed do you crawl out of your hole beating your drum to disparage our coach. Hoping to instill doubt in our coach’s recruiting ability just because you wanted another coach and evidently can not stand being wrong. I don’t know what team you actually pull for but it isn’t the Lady Vols.

Nonsense. You are thrilled Key did not commit to the Lady Vols. You have been very quiet as Kellie has been adding great recruits. Only now, when we are disappointed do you crawl out of your hole beating your drum to disparage our coach. Hoping to instill doubt in our coach’s recruiting ability just because you wanted another coach and evidently can not stand being wrong. I don’t know what team you actually pull for but it isn’t the Lady Vols.

Darth needs to craw back to the hole

times 1000

Not fair to call it a KJH failing exactly. Seems like a firm decision was made, maybe early on, that the sisters did not want to play with or against each other. Certainly reasonable and understandable. However, it is a big disappointment to us and will certainly, unfairly, be used against KJH. Not a good look. Also reasonable to think if our team had been more successful recently, Teoni's decision might have been a little tougher. None of this KJH fault.

Worse, this keeps a good class from being an exciting one. Teoni would have been the lynchpin top 20 recruit to make this class shine. Nothing wrong with our recruits, they seem good, solid, workmanlike players with potential to develop. But Teoni would have kicked it up a notch for sure.

Last edited:
Unless Coach K felt that having two sisters on the same team might create more problems than it solved...we'll never know

Unless Coach K felt that having two sisters on the same team might create more problems than it solved...we'll never know
I pray you're joking. If KJH refused Teoni Key bc she didn't want to coach sisters I want her fired yesterday. It's not like having a close family member in the organization is exactly foreign to KJH, right?

I pray you're joking. If KJH refused Teoni Key bc she didn't want to coach sisters I want her fired yesterday. It's not like having a close family member in the organization is exactly foreign to KJH, right?
Not at all,, I have coached about 20 sets of sisters in my 40 years. I can think of three sets of sisters that disrupted the whole team with fighting and sibling rivalry in the form of envy of one sister's stature that the other one could never reach.

It is rare, but it does happen

Wait, someone seriously suggested this? These are the brilliant hot takes I miss....

tenor.gif

no one suggested it,,,just a conversation
Of course you suggested it.
Here's your post.
"Unless Coach K felt that having two sisters on the same team might create more problems than it solved...we'll never know"
No one else posited the notion that CKJH didn't want Teonni on the team because of a possible sibling problem. You suggested it was a possibility and that we'll never know why she chose not to be a LV.

Of course you suggested it.
Here's your post.
"Unless Coach K felt that having two sisters on the same team might create more problems than it solved...we'll never know"
No one else posited the notion that CKJH didn't want Teonni on the team because of a possible sibling problem. You suggested it was a possibility and that we'll never know why she chose not to be a LV.
I think it is a ridiculous conspiracy theory that we wouldn't want her on the team for any reason. She chose a school closer to home she can go home every weekend if she desires. That is not hard for me to understand at all and appreciate that Tamari didn't make the same decision when we were recruiting her. Sisters, Brothers, everyone has different personalities what one wants is completely different from the other a large percentage of the time.

Last edited:
I think it is a ridiculous conspiracy theory that we wouldn't want her on the team for any reason. She chose a school closer to home she can go home every weekend if she desires. That is not hard for me to understand at all and appreciate that Tamari didn't make the same decision when we were recruiting her. Sisters, Brothers, everyone are different personalities what one wants is completely different from the other a large percentage of the time.

I agree. I don’t think we need to be speculating. I certainly don’t think our program would have turned her away if she wished to be there. That’s crazy to me. She chose a school close to home with a new coach and new energy. She has an opportunity to be their go to star for most of her career there. Banghart played a huge role in the development of Bella Alarie, a similar player to Teonni. I’m sure that didn’t go missed, she’ll have an opportunity there to have the offense run through her. That wasn’t going to happen at any of her other choices aside from maybe NC State.

I actually hope to see her help revive that program as well. I always loved our rivalry with NC back in the Larkins/Latta/Pringle era. They were a very tough team. Teonni reminds me a little of Latoya Pringle with that lanky frame and long arms. I expect to see them back at the top of the ACC in the next couple of seasons.

Thanks for the information. I am not familiar with NC schools . Other than the men’s BB games at Duke and NC , Wake and UNC state and the close proximity. I have little knowledge other than to say Duke Has a well know academic status. I just thought that UNC was high academics as well ? Plus being close to where they live just made since to me ...
obviously Teonni felt good about her visit ... so why not stay close to home , friends , and family . Makes since to me ! I wish her well .

PRG, to put a finer point on this to be clear. It’s a fine school, just not on the level of others you mentioned especially as an instate kid like Key. There are a lot of other reasons she might choose the state flagship school though.

lol I think it's safe to suggest that if CoachJumper could go back in time he'd likely choose to keep that last addition to the conversation on the inside. lol Too bad for him that he didn't think five more seconds about it before pressing "send." :rolleyes:

Reactions: cutiepie5
lol I think it's safe to suggest that if CoachJumper could go back in time he'd likely choose to keep that last addition to the conversation on the inside. lol Too bad for him that he didn't think five more seconds about it before pressing "send." :rolleyes:
C'est La Vive

Reactions: sisaq

VN Store

Back