Teonni Key to UNC

I disagree! Every player wants big time support and big crowds!! A chance to showcase their skills.
I didn’t say it wasn’t one of the reasons. I just don’t believe it’s a Big one. I listed the reasons I thought are more important to players. Where do you think attendance is on that list?

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Anyone still hand-wringing and standing on the ledge should read Maria's story posted Saturday evening on 24-7. Not only will it immediately cheer you up re: the players being recruited, it ought to inspire confidence in Kellie's recruiting process.

Just as people questioned Barnes and Pruitt, Harper is being scrutinized. Read the article (Google "One on One With Sara Puckett and Family") and come in off the ledge.

Loved reading about Kellie's "blueprint" that covered the whole table. And loved Mom and Dad's comments about the impression it made on them, and the impression the entire visit made on Sara. And how easily Kellie connected with the family.

Loved reading about Kellie's "blueprint" that covered the whole table. And loved Mom and Dad's comments about the impression it made on them, and the impression the entire visit made on Sara. And how easily Kellie connected with the family.

This is the second time I have heard about a plan for each recruit! The first was Wynn and now again for Puckett ! This must be impressive for the recruit and for the parents ... Good to hear about the in depth preparations made for the players we are going after . I liked the idea of not putting on a Lady Vol Jersey until you commit !!! We see these recruits in 20 different jerseys and doing BB poses for photo opportunities. I like Kelly keeping the honor of being a Lady Vol strictly to recruits that will make that commitment! It sends a message to all recruits.... pictures with game jerseys only for real Lady Vols !

Somewhere between “fire Coach Harper, Key was a must get”

I have never called for Harper to be fired, but I do think this is her biggest coaching failure since she came. There's a hundred reasons you can give to rationalize why Key didn't come. Same with Rivers. Same with Verhulst. And on and on. The bottom line is recruiting is a huge part of coaching, and these are the battles Kellie needs to start winning for Tennessee to go where they want to go. It's great Kellie just got the 62nd ranked player, but without game changers you're going to stay a middling SEC team. If you can't close on a player with a sister on the team, then when?

I have never called for Harper to be fired, but I do think this is her biggest coaching failure since she came. There's a hundred reasons you can give to rationalize why Key didn't come. Same with Rivers. Same with Verhulst. And on and on. The bottom line is recruiting is a huge part of coaching, and these are the battles Kellie needs to start winning for Tennessee to go where they want to go. It's great Kellie just got the 62nd ranked player, but without game changers you're going to stay a middling SEC team. If you can't close on a player with a sister on the team, then when?

I agree that she needs to be winning some recruiting battles, but the reality is that she doesn't have much to offer right now. Tennessee has been a middling team for years. I think Kellie can improve them more than Holly ever could, but she will need time to give higher rated recruits a reason to come to Tennessee. I said in the past that it's like what Vic had to do his first couple of years, and that's win without having the best talent. Once he started doing that, then he was able to get the Rickea Jacksons, Sidney Cooks and Madison Hayes of the game to sign with MSST. Kellie needs to do the same. I think her 2021 class is solid enough that they shouldn't be struggling to make the NCAAT, so if she can scalp a higher rated team with a good mix of stars (Davis, Horston) and role players, then she will have more of a shot at picking up some of the top 20 recruits. Yeah, it sucks to not get Key, but she did get Wynn who is ranked in the same range along with some other solid players, so she's trending in the right direction. Certainly 2021 is a much stronger class than 2020, so she's building on that.

I agree that she needs to be winning some recruiting battles, but the reality is that she doesn't have much to offer right now. Tennessee has been a middling team for years. I think Kellie can improve them more than Holly ever could, but she will need time to give higher rated recruits a reason to come to Tennessee. I said in the past that it's like what Vic had to do his first couple of years, and that's win without having the best talent. Once he started doing that, then he was able to get the Rickea Jacksons, Sidney Cooks and Madison Hayes of the game to sign with MSST. Kellie needs to do the same. I think her 2021 class is solid enough that they shouldn't be struggling to make the NCAAT, so if she can scalp a higher rated team with a good mix of stars (Davis, Horston) and role players, then she will have more of a shot at picking up some of the top 20 recruits. Yeah, it sucks to not get Key, but she did get Wynn who is ranked in the same range along with some other solid players, so she's trending in the right direction. Certainly 2021 is a much stronger class than 2020, so she's building on that.

How dare you actually recognize that there is something to positive to be found with our 62nd ranked (yes we all know her highest ranking is 21 on one site) hard working player might actually just help. And shame on you for not condemning Kellie for not forcing Teonni to come here with her sister 😡

Oh I forgot “git a room” I learned that one from @gule

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyPayne

Good points and I hope you're right, but UNC doesn't have a lot to offer right now either and somehow Banghart landed a top 10 player in the 2020 class (while Kellie salvaged whatever she could get) and followed it up with Key. If she gets another elite player in 22, that's how you go from middling to powerhouse quickly.

And everyone can call me Chicken Little if they want, but fans are underestimating how much the team will struggle without a point guard on the roster next season.... the other critical item on Kellie's offseason to-do list she's failed to address. If he could find a player to stabilize that position, I would feel a lot better about the potential for impressive wins (and impressing potential recruits) next season...

Banghart did a fine job at Princeton, but let's be honest...how many other Ivy teams (aside from the conference champ) went to the tourney in those years? Princeton was the big fish in the little pond. Again, props to her for making them the big fish, but some successes are more relevant than others considering competition level.

A better measure of success is how they fared against OOC schedule, and I believe Princeton acquitted themselves well. What was her highest NCAA finish?

Reactions: Rickster
I remember making a case that I doubted Vic could turn around MSU. So, this time around, I'm going to wait and see. Teonni is a good nucleus and if Banghart can control her recruiting destiny in North Carolina and Virginia, she could get UNC back in the game pretty quick.

Reactions: cutiepie5
Banghart did a fine job at Princeton, but let's be honest...how many other Ivy teams (aside from the conference champ) went to the tourney in those years? Princeton was the big fish in the little pond. Again, props to her for making them the big fish, but some successes are more relevant than others considering competition level.

A better measure of success is how they fared against OOC schedule, and I believe Princeton acquitted themselves well. What was her highest NCAA finish?
Well, considering the talent pool that would go to Ivy League schools, she did remarkably well. She had a 30-0 team that won an opening round NCAA game. That was her only tourney win.

After two tough seasons to start her career at Princeton she won 20+ games in 7 consecutive seasons and 9 out of 10.

She is 270-117 for her career, almost a .700 winning percentage. That is great no matter what league it was done in.

Yeah, when Katie Lou went to UCONN, that proved to me that Tara was a failure at recruiting. What a loser.

Something a little closer to home.... How about the Hayes sisters.. 2 at MTSU the third had them in her top and their mom really wanted them to play together but she went her own way to ND who was coming off of one of their worst seasons. Even with 2 sisters and a mom who wanted them to play together, and being close to home Insell couldn’t get her there.

Reactions: creekdipper
Yeah, when Katie Lou went to UCONN, that proved to me that Tara was a failure at recruiting. What a loser.

Well I heard those Ogwumike girls were pretty decent, but reaching the Final Four 12 times affords a coach a little more leniency when they miss one. Especially losing one to the premier program, as opposed to a team that wouldn't have even made the tournament this season.

But I have to say the fact that Maria thinks the Lady Vols coach is doing a wonderful job really is a strong argument for Kellie, well played...

Reactions: cutiepie5
(BLUE) So you're a big Coach K fan huh Garth? (BLUE)

Did I mention that this was written in BLUE?

Something a little closer to home.... How about the Hayes sisters.. 2 at MTSU the third had them in her top and their mom really wanted them to play together but she went her own way to ND who was coming off of one of their worst seasons. Even with 2 sisters and a mom who wanted them to play together, and being close to home Insell couldn’t get her there.
Alasia Hayes signed with ND in the fall before the season started. That one bad season didn't stall ND's recruiting prowess either because they got a verbal commit from a top 5 player and a top 20 player in the 2021 class.

VN Store

Back