Teonni Key to UNC

Alasia Hayes signed with ND in the fall before the season started. That one bad season didn't stall ND's recruiting prowess either because they got a verbal commit from a top 5 player and a top 20 player in the 2021 class.

Corrrect! So does that make the MTSU coach a bad coach because he couldn’t get her there in her own backyard with her sisters?

Also if she wanted she could have probably gotten a release because of the change without ND really fighting it.

I have never called for Harper to be fired, but I do think this is her biggest coaching failure since she came. There's a hundred reasons you can give to rationalize why Key didn't come. Same with Rivers. Same with Verhulst. And on and on. The bottom line is recruiting is a huge part of coaching, and these are the battles Kellie needs to start winning for Tennessee to go where they want to go. It's great Kellie just got the 62nd ranked player, but without game changers you're going to stay a middling SEC team. If you can't close on a player with a sister on the team, then when?

You don't even identify with us now...Et Tu Garth....Not cool.
et-tu-brute.jpg

Corrrect! So does that make the MTSU coach a bad coach because he couldn’t get her there in her own backyard with her sisters?

Also if she wanted she could have probably gotten a release because of the change without ND really fighting it.
I see what you did there without putting the things like the recruitment and other factors in context. I'm done with this discussion anyway.

Last edited:

Let me play the devils advocate.... I am the father/mother of 4 daughters and they all are good athletes who play basketball! And all of them are good enough to get college scholarships..... There is a local university in our community ( MTSU ). Right now we have two daughters getting a free education and we can go to all of their home games . But here comes the third daughter with more national attention! She has many offers from many schools and one from THE UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME !!!!! Do you want to give one of your daughters a degree from ND or MTSU ? This is a no brainer ...... Now if we lived in the North Carolina community and had an offer from UT .....? Would we want our daughter to go to UT or stay home and go to a more prestigious university! This is a no brainer also. JMO 🤔

Let me play the devils advocate.... I am the father/mother of 4 daughters and they all are good athletes who play basketball! And all of them are good enough to get college scholarships..... There is a local university in our community ( MTSU ). Right now we have two daughters getting a free education and we can go to all of their home games . But here comes the third daughter with more national attention! She has many offers from many schools and one from THE UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAME !!!!! Do you want to give one of your daughters a degree from ND or MTSU ? This is a no brainer ...... Now if we lived in the North Carolina community and had an offer from UT .....? Would we want our daughter to go to UT or stay home and go to a more prestigious university! This is a no brainer also. JMO 🤔

Anastasia was the highest rated of all of them and probably had the most options (although ND is pretty damn good for Alasia). I'm surprised she settled on MTSU, to be honest. She looks to have not improved much. Still can't shoot, turns the ball over like crazy and an awful FT shooter. Her ego killed any chance that she would become a good college player.

Reactions: cutiepie5

EXACTLY, your proving my point. So devils advocate you are not. It is not a miss on a school because she didn’t go to a school that was a better fit for her! Maybe Teonni saw a chance to get a degree from UNC regardless that still carries a lot of weight.

Thanks 😃

Last edited:
EXACTLY, your proving my point! So devils advocate you are not! It is not a miss on a school because she didn’t go to a school that was a better fit for her!

Thanks 😃

Bottom line ..... Some are saying our coach is not doing a good job because a certain player chose a different school ! If I was Teonni’s parent ???? I would be glad that one child was getting a degree from UT ..... and ecstatic that one of my children was getting a degree from North Carolina! JMO

P.S. I would rather my child got a degree from Vanderbilt ! Even if they sat on the bench for four years and never played. again JMO

Bottom line ..... Some are saying our coach is not doing a good job because a certain player chose a different school ! If I was Teonni’s parent ???? I would be glad that one child was getting a degree from UT ..... and ecstatic that one of my children was getting a degree from North Carolina! JMO

P.S. I would rather my child got a degree from Vanderbilt ! Even if they sat on the bench for four years and never played. again JMO

Or even Duke right ?!?

But people want to use that as an indictment that Kellie can’t recruit! What people also haven’t mentioned is maybe she wants to be closer to home with all the unknowns and the climate of things right now. Controversial topic I know and I AM NOT getting started however that might have had something to do with it. Just saying... she may have wanted to be close to home where things are familiar.

Reactions: 1reVOLver and PRG
Looks like Teonni wanted to stay close enough to home so she could go there every weekend if she desired. You recruit a player with all you got and Tennessee recruited her that way. Each and every person has a mind of their own know what they want to do and she is going to play for her state's school nothing wrong with that decision.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Her mother is VERY happy Teonni is staying “home.” Just because a player chooses a school, which she obviously has to, doesn’t mean a coach at another contender or the campus, etc. didn’t look good to the player. People make the choice so black and white, but it usually isn’t. Education, campus, near home, comfort level are the most important elements for Teonni.

Agreed. People are simplifying the sibling relationship as well. I know nothing about Teonni and Tamari’s personal relationship. I do know, that if it had been me, and I could choose to go where my older brother was or somewhere else. I would choose somewhere else lol.

I’m really glad for their mom. It will be much easier for her to catch games for both girls at different schools with Teonni so close. Would have been so hard if they were both a long drive away.

I am still curious. Did Tamari have a NC offer and was she actively recruited by NC?

I am still curious. Did Tamari have a NC offer and was she actively recruited by NC?

I’m not sure. Different staff though. She would have been recruited mainly by Hatchell and her staff and they were in a mess at the time. Allegations of misconduct, forcing injured players to play etc.

Banghart would only have had a month or two at most to speak with her. I think Tamari had committed to UT before Banghart was hired anyway. Been a couple years though, it all runs together.

Bottom line ..... Some are saying our coach is not doing a good job because a certain player chose a different school !

No, there are concerns about the coach because ALL the top flight recruits seem to be choosing different schools. Key is just the latest, and was considered her best shot by far at landing one to this point.

That's why comparing this situation to the Samuelsons is silly. Tara has clearly proven she can attract elite talent. Kellie hasn't...

VN Store

Back