Tennessee vs Texas (merged)

With the addition of Texas to the SEC will Tennessee no longer be referred to as UT in the SEC? Will we be Tennessee and Texas or maybe UTK and UTA?
Nah. The big question is what happens when the two college football bullies go at it to see who runs the neighborhood. Both Bama and Texas are used to having things set up their respective ways. Both programs have monumental egos. I'll be curious to watch these two dance around each and try to coexist. At some point, one or both are gonna throw down and it's gonna be on.

Reactions: Longhornjack
With the addition of Texas to the SEC will Tennessee no longer be referred to as UT in the SEC? Will we be Tennessee and Texas or maybe UTK and UTA?

While I’m biased…I still think it’ll come down to who beats the stuffing out of the other…”to the winner go the spoils” (and title).

Outside of Mack Brown’s run at texas, they’ve been pretty mediocre since the 70’s. Texas A&M dominated them during the mid 80’s to mid 90’s - won 10 of 11 at one point.

I don’t think Sark is the answer. I think they’ll be KY level in the SEC starting out. If they get a good coach who can develop talent - they’ve got the resources. Their leadership is quite stupid though.

Growing up I used to always hear about them stealing our UT logo, our Power T logo, etc. I don't exactly know how much validity are in those claims but I think the addition to them in the conference could be fun/good for us.

Esp if we can win early. Texas has had their fair share of recent football blunders as well.

We have the similar color schemes, similar logos, and similar state pride.

I know this is likely a stretch, but I've seen some negativity about them and OK joining the conference so I thought maybe we could look at this in a more positive light!!

I think having them on the schedule every few years could be fun. "The Battle for the Power T" or something along those lines. (I'm sure someone could easily come up with a better name than that, lol)

After all we are the REAL UT, and not them. Tennessee should be considered the real UT, not Texas. Here's why.

What do yall think?
UTE vs UTW

I can't hate the state of Texas or Texans. It would take a lot to stoke a rivalry fire in me.

I’ve honestly never heard anybody outside Tennessee call it UT and I’ve never heard anybody call Texas UT.
Am I understanding your statement correctly that you have not heard anyone refer to the University of Texas as UT? You must not have been in the state of Texas before.

For all the resaons previously discussed Tennessee v Texas would be a great rivalry game to have every season, especially so if Texas was playing an SEC schedule without "Cupcakes" to use for practice along the way. I hope our program can improve enough under Coach Heupel to hold up our end.

Reactions: Longhornjack
Am I understanding your statement correctly that you have not heard anyone refer to the University of Texas as UT? You must not have been in the state of Texas before.
Been to Texas, but haven’t heard it much. I don’t doubt that it gets used. I just think that it’s mostly a local phenomenon unless you’ve got a long or directional name or specifically market it that way like LSU or USC. You also tend to hear it more for the “State” schools like FSU.

As bad and underachieving as Texas has been they would’ve rolled us the last 4 seasons.
Good for the last 4 seasons. Texas for all their bravado and bull$hit has never really accomplished anything that we haven’t over the course of college football history. **** Texas.

. Not all of Texas… the highest point in Texas sits at just over 8,000 ft which is higher than the highest point in Tennessee at Clingmans Dome.
There is nothing in Texas like Rocky Top.

There is that southwest corner that comes closest, but God forgot to put plants there. Real plants. Cactus don't count.

Here, let me put my expert geological, geographical, and botanist skills to work:

1627475262225.png

See what I mean? No green mountains. God was probably practicing on Texas before he did his masterpiece in Tennessee.

Last edited:
This will turn into a real rivalry IMO. We haven’t played them in football since the late 60s. Cotton Bowl. They kicked our butts.

The only people that call us UT are Tennessee fans anyway.

Just like we don't call Florida UF. At least not in conversation.

The only SEC schools I can think of whose acronyms have any emotional meaning are LSU and UGa. I mean, the latter named their in-bred dog mascot after the abbreviation. Heh. And LSU is...well, it's one of those names (like USCw) that's easy to just always say the abbreviation and never even try to sound it all out. If someone walked up to me and said Louisiana State University, I'd have to spend a minute figuring out who they were talking about.

Well, and a little bit A&M. I mean, they can't seem to figure out if it's A&M, aTm, or some other combination, but it is clearly important to them.

So for those three, sure, it would be a big deal to share. For all the rest of us? Meh.

Lets hope that when some Tennessee Volunteers go to Texas this time we have a different result.

h25wC3qJyIqUsN6KUVFVnDkmnz6E0AEUhYL7A8AFXrrHMqb5-_zQTBElbdNMYR1OQwzWm38-wknnSKmlVenxUP_0iH7djHM59Blya0GAVeUR2oBEBS-WkSLohIxjLBseJVmhrgSD7EDzyW4b1ZqH4PYMOWv-KID7gp4

Reactions: CR-vol

VN Store

Back