Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Ok spin doctor.

I don’t spin. Records are difficult to argue with since well they are records.

Hoping Barnes lands Hunter and Phillips. I am doubtful on both but until they sign elsewhere it’s still possible.

Also want Barnes to make an elite 8. Or heck even a 16 before he retires.

You mean another? Or were you too busy bashing and missed that S16?

I won’t be upset with the off-season if we land Phillips either. He’s a huge talent that could make this team a true F4 contender. We only need a 7-8 man rotation anyway. It’s just hard to not be slightly disappointed if you can’t get a better PG, which would exponentially lift this team’s ceiling.

I get that these kids are looking for immediate Major minutes, but most of them are looking at teams with a lot of depth already, too. I don’t think we’re uniquely loaded.
Well Hunter is looking at Kansas, Gonzaga and Purdue who have wide open spots at PG.

I think I understand the thinking behind Likekele. He’s a 6’5” ultra athletic PG. Compared to our 5’9” PG so it adds some needed flexibility at the PG position. He’s a great defender, he’s built like a linebacker, and he can guard probably the 1-3 positions. So we are feeling good about Akawa BTO?

I think I understand the thinking behind Likekele. He’s a 6’5” ultra athletic PG. Compared to our 5’9” PG so it adds some needed flexibility at the PG position. He’s a great defender, he’s built like a linebacker, and he can guard probably the 1-3 positions. So we are feeling good about Akawa BTO?
Imo yes

You mean another? Or were you too busy bashing and missed that S16?

Yeah I remember the Williams Admiral 16. I was there.

And Barnes SECT chsp was pretty awesome. But his NCAAT record has been less than stellar at TN and for several years before TN.

Like I said I hope he goes out on a high note with an Elite 8. (And when I say go out that means retires - so as to avoid you and others saying I’m calling for Barnes to be fired).

It belongs in its own thread or the Barnes “it’s getting old thread”. This one is generally considered one for recruiting updates. I click on this thread constantly looking for updates or peoples opinions on recruits. Not lectures on Barnes
Absolutely, I second that!!

Everyone has their opinion. I actually think PG is more important than landing Philips, but I get why some feel different.
I should say landing an elite PG vs Phillips. We need some depth at PG so we’re not relying solely on BJE as a backup. But at the 4 position JJJ can definitely play there but would be huge to have someone that is more of a natural 4. We don’t have that at all on our current roster

I wouldn’t say Kansas’ position is any different than ours. DeJuan Harris is a similar mold to ZZ. You could probably argue ZZ is better, but I wouldn’t consider Kansas to have a wide open spot.
They like to play 2 guards, and they lost more than just Remy…but yea that’s also probably why Purdue and Gonzaga are his other 2 visits he currently has set up.

I should say landing an elite PG vs Phillips. We need some depth at PG so we’re not relying solely on BJE as a backup. But at the 4 position JJJ can definitely play there but would be huge to have someone that is more of a natural 4. We don’t have that at all on our current roster
And I get it, but I think an elite PG that can step into KC's role allows us to continue what worked for us last season. Truthfully, I want both. But if you forced me to choose, I'd pick the PG. Again, JMO.

And I get it, but I think an elite PG that can step into KC's role allows us to continue what worked for us last season. Truthfully, I want both. But if you forced me to choose, I'd pick the PG. Again, JMO.
I agree w that. I guess I’m just not as down on ZZ commanding the majority minutes at PG as some others are. We definitely need another ball handler. But I think we should be able to find one. Compared to someone who could command the majority of minutes at the 4

I agree w that. I guess I’m just not as down on ZZ commanding the majority minutes at PG as some others are. We definitely need another ball handler. But I think we should be able to find one. Compared to someone who could command the majority of minutes at the 4
I love ZZ as a player, but I don't think he's ready yet, and I don't think BJE will be close to ready.

Yea, last year ZZ played 22mpg, why can’t he do the same this year? Or 25mpg? Yes you’ll have a drop off from Chandler to those 15mpg, but hopefully and improvement 2-4.

You’ll never convince me that Sparks wasn’t interfering with TN football by recruiting less than happy players off of TN’s roster to transfer to C-N with the incentive of not having to sit out.
Yea, you have to be right. Who would pass up the chance to play at grassy creek in front of hundreds of fans in a stadium at that time didn’t even have visitor’s bleachers instead of playing in front of 100,000 in Neyland. CN just sold itself with its high school level facilities!

Really curious about this top 100 guy BTO mentioned last night, wonder what position the kid plays?

My first thought was Shawn Phillips who recently decommitted from NSCT

Last edited:
Really curious about this top 100 guy BTO mentioned last night, wonder what position the kid plays?

My first thought was Shawn Phillips who decommitted from NSCT about a week or so ago.
I skimmed through 247’s top 100 and there are 2 guys remaining. Riley Kugel a 6’4” guard from Orlando Florida, and Adrame Diongue a 7’ Center from a prep school in Arizona. So if it’s in the current top 100 then those are 2 remaining. If it’s somebody he thinks will be in the top 100 when they update rankings then I do not know.

I skimmed through 247’s top 100 and there are 2 guys remaining. Riley Kugel a 6’4” guard from Orlando Florida, and Adrame Diongue a 7’ Center from a prep school in Arizona. So if it’s in the current top 100 then those are 2 remaining. If it’s somebody he thinks will be in the top 100 when they update rankings then I do not know.

Yeah, I meant to put "outside the top 100 currently"

VN Store

Back