Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Julian Phillips, the five-star power forward, decommitted from LSU on March 18, following the firing of Will Wade. Since reopening his recruitment, he has visited Auburn, South Carolina and the Overtime Elite league, while also showing interest in the NBA’s G-League. The 6-foot-8, 200-pound Phillips, had a final four of Florida State, LSU, Tennessee and USC before committing to the Tigers in October, is the No. 12 overall prospect in the 2022 class, ranked No. 2 among power forwards and No. 1 overall in Missouri, where he attends Link Academy.

Rick Barnes and associate head coach Justin Gainey made a trip to see Phillips last month. Phillips signed with LSU in November but was released from his letter of intent following the coaching changes. Phillips took an official visit to Tennessee last September.
“I’m looking for a school I can play some good minutes in my freshman year, and come in and make an impact,” Phillips told 247Sports last summer. “I want to be at a school that will help me develop my game. The ultimate goal is to be an NBA player, so I want a school that will develop my game for the next level. I want a good academic school as well. One day the ball will stop bouncing, and I will have to fall back on my education, so I want a school that will set me up well with that

Tyrese Hunter, the 6-foot Big 12 Freshman of the Year, took an official visit to Tennessee over the wekened. He announced his top six on Monday, including the Vols alongside Kansas, Gonzaga, Texas, Purdue and Louisville.

Hunter averaged 11.0 points, 3.5 rebounds and 4.9 assists during his freshman season at Iowa State. He was a four-star prospect in the 2021 recruiting cycle, ranked No. 37 overall by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. He was ranked No. 6 among point guards in the class and was the No. 2 overall prospect out of the state of Wisconsin[\quote]

Watched some video of the kid, I can definitely see him being in the top 100, kid is a freak.

Edit: "
DJ Jefferson should be a high major commodity
DJ Jefferson is a known player out of Minneapolis (MN) Minnesota Prep. The lefty shooting guard has a smooth floor game with range and confidence from all three levels.
He recently de-committed from Tulsa and has said schools like Washington State, Texas, and Wichita State. Jefferson is currently unranked by On3, but if he continues to play as he has so far, look for him to make a significant entry into the top 100."
You had me at lefty…

Isaac Likekele started 110 times in 114 career games at Oklahoma State before entering the NCAA Transfer Portal as a graduate transfer. He averaged 8.9 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.9 assists in 31.9 minutes per game over his four seasons with the Cowboys. He had a career year in 2019-20, averaging 10.9 points, 5.6 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.9 steals in 32.4 minutes per game, starting all 28 games in the COVID-shortened season. Likekele, from Mansfield, Texas, was a three-star prospect in the 2018 recruiting cycle, ranked No. 26 among point guards and No. 10 in the state of Texas. He was the No. 156 overall player in the 2018 class according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

DJ Jefferson is currently rated as a three-star small out of Minnesota Preparatory Academy in Saint Paul, Minn. Originally a Richardson, Texas, native, Jefferson de-committed from Tulsa last month. He’s currently ranked No. 40 among small forwards in the 247Sports Composite and is the No. 7 player out of the state of Minnesota. He’s ranked No. 175 overall. Jefferson improved his stock in the Iverson Classic game and had offers from Arizona State, Creighton, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU and Virginia Tech before committing to Tulsa.

“(Jefferson has) freak athletic ability and is one of the nation's best at finalizing a play above the rim with ferociousness,” 247Sports national recruiting analyst Brandon Jenkins wrote in March. “His athletic gifts are also utilized on the defensive end when motivated. His lateral mobility and bounce project for him to be a very disruptive asset on that end with commitment.”

Tobe Awaka, a 6-foot-8, 235-pound power forward out of The Bronx, N.Y., picked up offers from Tennessee and Maryland last week, with St. John’s and Pitt among other programs involved in his recruitment. Awaka plays for the same New York Lightning AAU program that produced Tennessee point guard Zakai Zeigler. He has not yet been rated by 247Sports, but was the Gatorade Player of the Year in New York, after averaging 19.2 points and 13.9 rebounds per game at Cardinal Hayes High School.

“Tobe Awaka is a tremendous talent,” St. Francis Prep head coach Jimmy Lynch said. “No other team in the league has a weapon like him. He’s big, strong, physical and great around the basket. He’s effective from the perimeter too. Defensively, he rebounds everything and is a major presence as a rim protector.”

Just got to watch some more Likekele. I’m not sure who to compare him to on offense, but defensively I see a comparison that I’m not sure many will like, but if he plays anything like him for us he’d be a great grab…. Patrick Beverly.

Reactions: ClasslessVol
Just got to watch some more Likekele. I’m not sure who to compare him to on offense, but defensively I see a comparison that I’m not sure many will like, but if he plays anything like him for us he’d be a great grab…. Patrick Beverly.
I feel like people on here overhate him a little bit because of his 3PT%. It obviously isn’t great but he does a lot of the little things (which are huge in CBB) well.

His 3pt% and FT% are so bad. If he can fix that in a season then he could be the JJJ of the team at PG, which could take us really far in the tourney

Reactions: Dallasbowlin
His 3pt% and FT% are so bad. If he can fix that in a season then he could be the JJJ of the team at PG, which could take us really far in the tourney

I think it’s asking a lot of a guy that has been around as long as Likekele to “fix” his 3-point and FT shooting in one off-season. If we bring him in, he is what he is. A nice depth piece but he isn’t going to drastically change as a player.

247 posted an article "Best fits for Frankie Collins"

This stood out to me

"Collins and Zeigler would create one of the fastest backcourt duos in the country. Keeping those guys out of the lane would be an impossible task, and they’d be on you defensively. Opposing point guards would be in hell."

VN Store

Back