Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

It was something along the lines that he would have gone to UCLA had they matched the TN offer. So he didn’t go to UCLA for less money.

UCLA came after Barnes. UT did what it took to retain him. That’s the story. Barnes’s salary wouldn’t even be in the top 10 had the pandemic not erupted immediately after his deal. His timing was as lucky as it gets.
Agree 100%. I’m pretty sure he said UCLA not matching was a sign from god that he should stay at Tennessee…. Can we move on now? It’s tiresome when people make something out of nothing, and then hold on to the grudge for three years. People think they got this perfect ace up their sleeve, but really it’s just a nothing burger.

Agree 100%. I’m pretty sure he said UCLA not matching was a sign from god that he should stay at Tennessee…. Can we move on now? It’s tiresome when people make something out of nothing, and then hold on to the grudge for three years. People think they got this perfect ace up their sleeve, but really it’s just a nothing burger.

It wasn’t that UCLA wouldn’t match. It was that they wouldn’t pay his buyout. To invoke God in that moment is laughable IMO. He is no deacon, no saint - he is a college basketball coach who “found” religion several years ago and now has internal conflict with NIL - after making a fortune of the backs of college athletes. It’s tiresome when people put Barnes on a pedestal.

Reactions: FranklinVol16
Barnes was dinged by the NCAA for giving some of his money to his assistants. That is never mentioned when yet another poster whines about his agreement to be the TN HC.

I think that his comments on NIL are being distorted by those wanting to get in another shot. I think that his biggest concern is that it is disruptive to throw all of these big deals at the new signees while leaving out the upperclassmen that have already been great assets to the program.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
It wasn’t that UCLA wouldn’t match. It was that they wouldn’t pay his buyout. To invoke God in that moment is laughable IMO. He is no deacon, no saint - he is a college basketball coach who “found” religion several years ago and now has internal conflict with NIL - after making a fortune of the backs of college athletes. It’s tiresome when people put Barnes on a pedestal.

I hope he legitimately gets a pedestal now

It’s rich with all of the chronic Barnes bashing that it’s “tiresome” when he’s put on a pedestal. The whiney posts about CRB’s compensation alone probably outnumber the “pedestal” posts 10:1. The can’t win in March whines are even more tiresome. And then when the chronic bashing is replied to, those posters are “pumping sunshine”.

The NIL conversation is already in the RECRUITING thread. You’re just late to the party. Actually a thread dedicated to NIL ought to be in the Around the NCAA forum if we really want to get **** organized as you’re dreaming about. Seems kind of dumb to move a discussion somewhere else after it is already ongoing for several pages.
It belongs in its own thread or the Barnes “it’s getting old thread”. This one is generally considered one for recruiting updates. I click on this thread constantly looking for updates or peoples opinions on recruits. Not lectures on Barnes

It belongs in its own thread or the Barnes “it’s getting old thread”. This one is generally considered one for recruiting updates. I click on this thread constantly looking for updates or peoples opinions on recruits. Not lectures on Barnes

As I said earlier, somebody ought to create a “Recruit News” thread. “Recruiting” is a very broad topic.

It always cracks me up when people get butthurt over whats posted in a thread. If these threads only had recruiting news theyre be 10 posts on news and 100 asking the same question "anything new?" "Why is there no news"everyday.

Can we have threads for CRB’s compensation and NCAAT results so I don’t have to see it anywhere else? Is that how this thread organizing concept works?

It always cracks me up when people get butthurt over whats posted in a thread. If these threads only had recruiting news theyre be 10 posts on news and 100 asking the same question "anything new?" "Why is there no news"everyday.

It's not like there aren't threads for individual recruits and threads like "2022 Targets" "2023 Targets" etc. I take this thread to be about the broad range of things that affect and result from recruiting. NiL is THE story in recruiting right now. The last few weeks we've heard the staff may not be embracing it. Then the head coach gives an interview that at the very least sees him painting it in a negative light regarding it's influence on recruiting. That's news. I guess we could just post "Any updates" 20 times a day in here.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
I guess this thread is going to get awfully quiet if we leave it to recruit specific updates seeing as those are actually quite rare right now.
Also there’s PLENTY of conversation about recruits that can fill up a thread without actual updates. Which is totally fine. But when we have threads already dedicated to how much Barnes sucks at his job it becomes an off topic conversation.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back