Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

This is why I say he’s finding just the parts to fit his narrative and ignoring the parts that don’t…Barnes isn’t saying we won’t allow anyone to make money, but that’s what the OP would have you believe. IMO he’s stating that he doesn’t want it to be the reason you pick a school, and especially pick a school that maybe you admit is a worse fit for you.

Yes. He's stating that financial reasons shouldn't be why you pick a school. After making a career of picking schools for financial reasons and admitting he is still at Tennessee for financial reasons. Rich coaches complaining about NiL just reeks of hypocrisy to me. Instead of complaining about it, adapt to it and embrace it. Don't be seen as the guy who wants to cap or curb the opportunities for players.

Yeah I was thinking that myself. Not that I don't like the people involved in it, but there should be a forum topic for this type of stuff. Until now, I really enjoyed getting on here and finding out what the newest updates on the recruiting trail was. Not lately though!!

We are talking about the head coach, talking about the biggest recruiting change in the history of the sport, in the recruiting thread. I'm not sure why anyone feels this isn't a place to discuss it.

Stupid of me to come here looking for recruiting info… nothing to see here but another pissing match 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

The all encompassing word “recruiting” is in the title. There should probably be a separate thread with “recruits” or “recruits in play” or “recruits status” to keep it more focused on those developments and the info that you are looking for. Could even have another for “recruit evaluations” as that seems to take over the discussion a lot.

Army, Checkers, and a few others will never pass up an opportunity to trash Barnes (the UT coach who has had more recruiting success than every other UT coach before him).

“Like I said, there are a lot of numbers out there that aren’t true, but some of them that are true,” Barnes said. “What you don’t want to do and it has happened, a young person comes in and you’re recruiting them, they’re not even thinking about NIL, but then one school says, ‘We will do this.’ They’ll ask what you can do, and then that other school says, ‘We’re not gonna get beat on this NIL deal.’

“Then the agents start getting into it,” Barnes added. “They start getting a percentage of what they can create, and so that’s the part where it wasn’t thought out years ago and we should’ve been able to control what we have right now, which is what it’s not.”

These quotes from Barnes read pretty anti-NiL to me. He doesn't like hearing that recruits are getting NiL offers on the recruiting trail. What control does he want to have over it? Is he willing to have a salary cap for coaches? Should a coach's agent not be allowed to try for the maximum amount of money?

Barnes is a pretty good recruiter in the old way of doing things. We see complaints mainly coming from older coaches who are good recruiters under the old way. Dabo and Saban hate it because they have more competition all of a sudden for top players.

You just read them that way because that’s your feelings on how he feels. I can just as easily read them to mean he doesn’t want $$$ to be the main reason why you pick a school and that you shouldn’t be trying to simply create a bidding war rather than finding the best for that also values you ($$$).

Yes. He's stating that financial reasons shouldn't be why you pick a school. After making a career of picking schools for financial reasons and admitting he is still at Tennessee for financial reasons. Rich coaches complaining about NiL just reeks of hypocrisy to me. Instead of complaining about it, adapt to it and embrace it. Don't be seen as the guy who wants to cap or curb the opportunities for players.
Again head in the sand, you don’t think Barnes could have left Texas for more money? Could’ve likely gotten more $$ from Arkansas?

Reactions: Volflyfisher
He grew up in Jefferson City and wasn’t comfortable in the UT environment. Again wasn’t poached, came on his own. Keep trying

You’ll never convince me that Sparks wasn’t interfering with TN football by recruiting less than happy players off of TN’s roster to transfer to C-N with the incentive of not having to sit out.

@ Freak ... can you just cut the last 10 pages ... so we can get back to NEWS about BASKETBALL recruits??? :^)))))))

The thread title is Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting. It’s pretty broad. It isn’t Recruit News Only. There’s an entire forum for football recruiting with over 17,000 threads. You can create a thread in the BBF that is more targeted to the news of the recruits if you need one.

The thread title is Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting. It’s pretty broad. It isn’t Recruit News Only. There’s an entire forum for football recruiting with over 17,000 threads. You can create a thread in the BBF that is more targeted to the news of the recruits if you need one.
Or maybe we could make a “I want to talk past other people about NIL” thread?

So you’re not against separating threads, just against having your conversation in a different thread?? LOL

The NIL conversation is already in the RECRUITING thread. You’re just late to the party. Actually a thread dedicated to NIL ought to be in the Around the NCAA forum if we really want to get **** organized as you’re dreaming about. Seems kind of dumb to move a discussion somewhere else after it is already ongoing for several pages.

VN Store

Back