Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Sure, 10-20 years from now not many will remember our run at #1 for those weeks, but I think it definitely helped our reputations for now and going forward. We’ve seen the success of the last couple years pay off with landing James/Walker, with a chance to add several more good players to that.

Definitely could be true. Even if Barnes doesn’t grt us there, maybe the next guy can. That’s why I’m so urgent about this year and making the tournament, we need to keep this going.

The Seattle Mariners were 13-2 and had the best record in MLB in April. Do you think any of their fans currently care about that? I remember when Missouri was #1 in football in 2007, do you ever go around talking about “Damn that Missouri team was special, what an accomplishment?”

People make excuses because of who or what they like. Which is very commonplace on this board. I remember Dooley. I remember Butch. And Rick is a super likable dude and a bunch of people will do whatever they can to praise him even beyond what his accomplishments show he is really is. Just like how there is a huge segment of Vol fans who act like Bruce Pearl was sort of special, amazing coach when in reality he is just a good coach. They really just like the guy and overrate him because of it.

Ultimately nobody except Vol fans are going to remember when UT was #1 for four weeks. They didn’t do anything memorable nationally. And it will be fun to reminisce on the season in the upcoming years. And no matter what, no matter how you view this year, you’re always going to always think “Damn we should have beaten Purdue for a shot to go the Final Four.”

And I don’t think my expectations for this year were out of whack or how I view this season is out of whack. To me, it’s a disappointment that a preseason top ten team:

1) Didn’t win a regular season conference title
2) Didn’t win their conference tournament
3) Lost in the S16 as a higher seed

I’m sorry, that isn’t special.
Post of the year. You get it. Couldn't have explained it better myself... Some call them "coach worshipers."

Post of the year. You get it. Couldn't have explained it better myself... Some call them "coach worshipers."

Hahahahahahahaha.

I hate it that I enjoyed the hell out of last basketball season. I hate that we won 30 games and were a foul away from the EE. I long for the days of 15-15 seasons.

I’ll even sign up for the next four years to be the same as these past 4 years. Hell I must be crazy I guess
I don’t think I would do that, the vision for the program is to consistently make the NCAAT...Barnes has built that up and it should now be the minimum each year, making it 2/4 years or 50% of the time wouldn’t keep me very happy.

Reactions: RyanWalkerPGH
I don’t think I would do that, the vision for the program is to consistently make the NCAAT...Barnes has built that up and it should now be the minimum each year, making it 2/4 years or 50% of the time wouldn’t keep me very happy.

My expectation to not get fired is make the tourney consistently every year. I would not be happy at all with missing two tourneys the next four years.

Yea I am going to edit my post

I’ll take the last four years over again IF year 2 gets into the tourney instead of faltering off the bubble.

Agree we can’t miss tourney 2 of next 4 years

Barnes made it to what 17 straight and we’re supposed to pay that kind of jack for every other year. Really?

The Seattle Mariners were 13-2 and had the best record in MLB in April. Do you think any of their fans currently care about that? I remember when Missouri was #1 in football in 2007, do you ever go around talking about “Damn that Missouri team was special, what an accomplishment?”

People make excuses because of who or what they like. Which is very commonplace on this board. I remember Dooley. I remember Butch. And Rick is a super likable dude and a bunch of people will do whatever they can to praise him even beyond what his accomplishments show he is really is. Just like how there is a huge segment of Vol fans who act like Bruce Pearl was sort of special, amazing coach when in reality he is just a good coach. They really just like the guy and overrate him because of it.

Ultimately nobody except Vol fans are going to remember when UT was #1 for four weeks. They didn’t do anything memorable nationally. And it will be fun to reminisce on the season in the upcoming years. And no matter what, no matter how you view this year, you’re always going to always think “Damn we should have beaten Purdue for a shot to go the Final Four.”

And I don’t think my expectations for this year were out of whack or how I view this season is out of whack. To me, it’s a disappointment that a preseason top ten team:

Exactly.

1. Your first Seattle Mariners comparison is a complete embarrassment. A 15 game segment in a 162 game season is hardly comparable to the success Tennessee achieved within the regular season, this year. It would be more akin to Tennessee fans touting a 4-0 start to the basketball season as being anything meaningful.

2. I bet there is a faction of Mizzou fans that still reflect fondly upon being #1 12 years ago. They aren't taking that excitement to their graves most likely, but neither will most Tennessee fans 12 years from now. It's still fresh in the minds of fans, and for others to crap on it as if it mattered not one bit is really just poor taste and ignorant. Mizzou fans talked about that ranking for a long time, I can just about guarantee it.

3. I don't really disagree with much of the rest of your post. Of course, it works in reverse, too. You don't particularly like Barnes or see him as a good coach, so anything he does is under a microscope, to you. He would have to overachieve in the grandest fashion to win your approval because you already have a preconceived opinion of who and what he is.

No one with any sense is pretending like this past season ended the way they hoped, expected, or even that the season was an overwhelming success worthy of reverence for the next decade. But to pretend like there weren't some watershed moments for our program is foolish, as is the idea that people shouldn't still hold those in high regard just 3 months after the fact. I'd suggest you remember the alternative is much worse and appreciate the fact that you had a winning product to cheer for from November to March instead of trying to convince everyone else that the end result means none of it really mattered.
Great post but his first point is even more ridiculous than you said! 15 games out of 162 is equivalent to about 2.87 games of 31, so it’d be even less reasonable than touting a 3-0 start in basketball

I guarantee that Missouri fans talk about that 2007 team’s accomplishments.

Why do you have Vol in your name when you are clearly a Memphis Tiger fan??
So because he thinks Hardaway is not cheating, based on the fact there is no EVIDENCE, you call him a Memphis fan? Lot of logic there.
I like banners, but they are overrated. I win is a win, and a big win is a big win. The number 1 ranking, that we held onto for a long time, was awesome. I don't need no stinkin banner for that.[/QUOTEBig wins and a number 1 ranking were great and a lot of fun, but being in the Final Four and winning a title would be the ultimate. But, at the end of the year in college basketball, when midnight strikes, most of us are feeling a little blue. But perspective, which might not come right away, usually triggers me to realize accomplishments and milestones. It would be sad to think that all but one team thought they were successful each year.

Reactions: i2amavol
I’m really concerned with our 4 and 5 depth.
Assuming Plavsic gains eligibility our starters look like now: PG Turner G Bowden G James F Fulkerson F Plavsic

Then after that it’s Kent and Nkouhma off the bench? You’d probably wanna redshirt Pember, so do you decide to play Pons at the 4? If so that’s Kent Nkouhma and Pons off the bench which isn’t awful, but it’s not great. Then you have Johnson off the bench for the 2-3, Pons the 2-3, and you’re probably looking at Gaines off the bench too as a skinny freshman. Idk there’s just a lot of uncertainty off the bench, but I’m perfectly fine with our starting 5 for sure
At this point I’m not impressed with this front line. Lots of questions if they will provide low post scoring, rebounding and rim protection. Obviously the strength of this team will be its back court.

Reactions: SweetDaddy

VN Store

Back