Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

No. Not if somebody just baselessly made that comment without any proof and ignoring logic.

Just like Penny Hardaway has to be cheating because he’s recruiting well to Memphis. It’s baseless.

Not if you want to make the argument that everyone cheats (which at that point isn’t really cheating) that’s different.

Why do you have Vol in your name when you are clearly a Memphis Tiger fan??

Good lord, back off.

If anyone has any evidence of Penny cheating, share it. I hate Memphis and would love to see them roasted. The reality is there is no evidence.
And you want to attack someone else’s opinion because he won’t agree with your baseless allegations.
Why are you bullying me with baseless allegations? I just wish someone could share their opinion on this board without you attacking them for it.

If he could have any sort of postseason success that would help. But he hasn’t. He’s been pretty much what I said would happen four years ago (a little more regular season success than I envisioned I will admit). We would have 20 win seasons but never do anything in the postseason. And it’s exactly played out that way.
I'm still excited with what he's done here though what you describe will most likely continue. He'll continue to have a losing record to ranked teams and underachieve in post season. I think his philosophy of pretty much putting his team on auto pilot in games and doing very little actual in game coaching is what has always done him in. Results in his kids getting out coached by guys that have been doing it for years. and him sitting there "waiting for them to figure it out" works less often than desirable. Like to see him hand game day off to his assistants.

I'm still excited with what he's done here though what you describe will most likely continue. He'll continue to have a losing record to ranked teams and underachieve in post season. I think his philosophy of pretty much putting his team on auto pilot in games and doing very little actual in game coaching is what has always done him in. Results in his kids getting out coached by guys that have been doing it for years. and him sitting there "waiting for them to figure it out" works less often than desirable. Like to see him hand game day off to his assistants.

Part of it too he has never fully embraced the small ball style of basketball that has come into basketball the last few years. He still loves having two classic post players (which can really hurt defensively, see Purdue) working for mid range shots, slowing down the game. A big criticism I’ve had is the lack of pick and roll/pop with Bone, who was perfect for it. He also wants to defend the paint instead of guarding the 3 ball, which cost us in all our losses.

Part of it too he has never fully embraced the small ball style of basketball that has come into basketball the last few years. He still loves having two classic post players (which can really hurt defensively, see Purdue) working for mid range shots, slowing down the game. A big criticism I’ve had is the lack of pick and roll/pop with Bone, who was perfect for it. He also wants to defend the paint instead of guarding the 3 ball, which cost us in all our losses.
I'm pretty sure Barnes has been wanting to insert a stretch 4 in the offense the last couple of years. It's why we recruited and signed Kent 2 years ago and Pember and ORN this year. The problem is obviously that Kent has been injured since he's been here.

If he could have any sort of postseason success that would help. But he hasn’t. He’s been pretty much what I said would happen four years ago

Gtfo that’s comical to act like you predicted what he’s done

Please show us a link where you said championships would be won and he would take us to number 1 in the land????

That’s a far cry from a 20 win season prediction my man

Reactions: Vol49er
Gtfo that’s comical to act like you predicted what he’s done

Please show us a link where you said championships would be won and he would take us to number 1 in the land????

That’s a far cry from a 20 win season prediction my man

Championship. Singular. We were co-SEC champs in 2018.

That number 1 ranking was cool, I guess. We hang banners for those?

Championship. Singular. We were co-SEC champs in 2018.

That number 1 ranking was cool, I guess. We hang banners for those?

I like banners, but they are overrated. I win is a win, and a big win is a big win. The number 1 ranking, that we held onto for a long time, was awesome. I don't need no stinkin banner for that.

I like banners, but they are overrated. I win is a win, and a big win is a big win. The number 1 ranking, that we held onto for a long time, was awesome. I don't need no stinkin banner for that.

Fair enough. I disagree but I’m not gonna say you should feel different

When you’re #1 in January and don’t win any championships with it I don’t find it particularly meaningful. To each his own.

To act like being ranked #1 for about 4 weeks when you're not a basketball blue blood is meaningless is beyond ridiculous. I get being upset with how the tourney went, we ran into one of the hottest teams in the field, it happens and no it's not fun. But to act like this past season wasn't a success is just a shame

The flippancy in which we discuss meaningful (to whatever degree) accomplishments in regards to a basketball team that has never been a long-term force to be reckoned with, is pretty comical.

“We were ranked #1 for a month? Big deal.”
“Co-SEC champs? Who cares.”
“We signed a 5* player, but he’ll probably suck like the last couple.”

It’s being said like it has been commonplace over our team history in the same vein as the football team winning 10+ games in the 90s, and fans being disappointed. Celebrating it and enjoying it are frowned upon because we “don’t hang banners” for those meaningless accomplishments.

In life, people searching for disappointment are certain to find it.

I feel like that you feel that Barnes should have walked in and won at a high level from the start.
All I expected was Barnes to exhibit more recruiting equity from his long career. We got very little, if none.
The fact that he made it to two straight championship games is more than I expected.

I think he’s done a remarkable job considering.
I’d absolutely be happy with recruiting kids in the 65-160 range and leave the one in doner, head cases. In fact I’d prefer it to what UK does.

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
If he could have any sort of postseason success that would help. But he hasn’t. He’s been pretty much what I said would happen four years ago (a little more regular season success than I envisioned I will admit). We would have 20 win seasons but never do anything in the postseason. And it’s exactly played out that way.

Lmao, a little more?

The flippancy in which we discuss meaningful (to whatever degree) accomplishments in regards to a basketball team that has never been a long-term force to be reckoned with, is pretty comical.

“We were ranked #1 for a month? Big deal.”
“Co-SEC champs? Who cares.”
“We signed a 5* player, but he’ll probably suck like the last couple.”

It’s being said like it has been commonplace over our team history in the same vein as the football team winning 10+ games in the 90s, and fans being disappointed. Celebrating it and enjoying it are frowned upon because we “don’t hang banners” for those meaningless accomplishments.

In life, people searching for disappointment are certain to find it.

The Seattle Mariners were 13-2 and had the best record in MLB in April. Do you think any of their fans currently care about that? I remember when Missouri was #1 in football in 2007, do you ever go around talking about “Damn that Missouri team was special, what an accomplishment?”

People make excuses because of who or what they like. Which is very commonplace on this board. I remember Dooley. I remember Butch. And Rick is a super likable dude and a bunch of people will do whatever they can to praise him even beyond what his accomplishments show he is really is. Just like how there is a huge segment of Vol fans who act like Bruce Pearl was sort of special, amazing coach when in reality he is just a good coach. They really just like the guy and overrate him because of it.

Ultimately nobody except Vol fans are going to remember when UT was #1 for four weeks. They didn’t do anything memorable nationally. And it will be fun to reminisce on the season in the upcoming years. And no matter what, no matter how you view this year, you’re always going to always think “Damn we should have beaten Purdue for a shot to go the Final Four.”

And I don’t think my expectations for this year were out of whack or how I view this season is out of whack. To me, it’s a disappointment that a preseason top ten team:

1) Didn’t win a regular season conference title
2) Didn’t win their conference tournament
3) Lost in the S16 as a higher seed

I’m sorry, that isn’t special.

Lmao, a little more?

Yeah. If you had told me Barnes would have us in the top 25 year 3/4 when he was first hired, I would have believed that. Top 10? No. A regular season title? Eh I would probably not have taken that bet. Which is a little more success.

The Seattle Mariners were 13-2 and had the best record in MLB in April. Do you think any of their fans currently care about that

Glad you brought up baseball.

Vandy the greatest team in the history of the sec just won a natty.

You see baseball knows how to crown a real champion.

You know Duke destroyed them 18-5 in the sweet 16 matchup don’t you?

It’s almost as if baseball understands that one crazy ass blown call doesn’t decide real success or even a bad game. Perhaps that’s just a little too over some of those posters heads here

The Seattle Mariners were 13-2 and had the best record in MLB in April. Do you think any of their fans currently care about that? I remember when Missouri was #1 in football in 2007, do you ever go around talking about “Damn that Missouri team was special, what an accomplishment?”

People make excuses because of who or what they like. Which is very commonplace on this board. I remember Dooley. I remember Butch. And Rick is a super likable dude and a bunch of people will do whatever they can to praise him even beyond what his accomplishments show he is really is. Just like how there is a huge segment of Vol fans who act like Bruce Pearl was sort of special, amazing coach when in reality he is just a good coach. They really just like the guy and overrate him because of it.

Ultimately nobody except Vol fans are going to remember when UT was #1 for four weeks. They didn’t do anything memorable nationally. And it will be fun to reminisce on the season in the upcoming years. And no matter what, no matter how you view this year, you’re always going to always think “Damn we should have beaten Purdue for a shot to go the Final Four.”

And I don’t think my expectations for this year were out of whack or how I view this season is out of whack. To me, it’s a disappointment that a preseason top ten team:

Bruce won the NC at a lower division, took a nobody to he sweet 16, UT to the elite 8 and Auburn to the final 4.
That’s better than good.

Sure, 10-20 years from now not many will remember our run at #1 for those weeks, but I think it definitely helped our reputations for now and going forward. We’ve seen the success of the last couple years pay off with landing James/Walker, with a chance to add several more good players to that.

1. Your first Seattle Mariners comparison is a complete embarrassment. A 15 game segment in a 162 game season is hardly comparable to the success Tennessee achieved within the regular season, this year. It would be more akin to Tennessee fans touting a 4-0 start to the basketball season as being anything meaningful.

2. I bet there is a faction of Mizzou fans that still reflect fondly upon being #1 12 years ago. They aren't taking that excitement to their graves most likely, but neither will most Tennessee fans 12 years from now. It's still fresh in the minds of fans, and for others to crap on it as if it mattered not one bit is really just poor taste and ignorant. Mizzou fans talked about that ranking for a long time, I can just about guarantee it.

3. I don't really disagree with much of the rest of your post. Of course, it works in reverse, too. You don't particularly like Barnes or see him as a good coach, so anything he does is under a microscope, to you. He would have to overachieve in the grandest fashion to win your approval because you already have a preconceived opinion of who and what he is.

No one with any sense is pretending like this past season ended the way they hoped, expected, or even that the season was an overwhelming success worthy of reverence for the next decade. But to pretend like there weren't some watershed moments for our program is foolish, as is the idea that people shouldn't still hold those in high regard just 3 months after the fact. I'd suggest you remember the alternative is much worse and appreciate the fact that you had a winning product to cheer for from November to March instead of trying to convince everyone else that the end result means none of it really mattered.

VN Store

Back