Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Basketball is more "used car salesman" than football unfortunately. Most these guys looking to move are wanting guaranteed playing time.

In football you have dozens of spots where a guy can get that. In basketball you really only got 5-8 spots with quality minutes. And if you're a 1 and done (transfer or HS player) you ask for minutes before earning them.

Barnes shoots it straight, he's not going to give anyone minutes they don't earn. If this was the late 80s and early 90s we'd be stacked because of that mindset...but we're in a softer and more entitled era of basketball.

Need more ZZ/JJJ/Santi players and less Burns/BHH types.
Agree with that for sure. Rare breed now

Reactions: CBVols and MoCo_Vol
I just want to know how good Phillips will actually be. Hoping to get him, but I think the expectations for him are a bit high right now. Also has some BHH vibes.

I just want to know how good Phillips will actually be. Hoping to get him, but I think the expectations for him are a bit high right now. Also has some BHH vibes.

BHH had issues out of high school coming from UK’s side of perspective, which sadly turned out to be true.

Haven’t heard anything “bad” about Phillips.

Phillips and BHH aren't the same, IMO. There were "motor" issues surrounding BHH the entire recruitment. It was rumored to be the reason Calipari pulled out the recruitment back when it was happening. We laughed at the time, but it turned out to be very true.

Phillips is a special talent, and probably has as much of an impact on this team as Chandler did this past season, IMO. He'll just need some time to get there like any young talent.

Phillips and BHH aren't the same, IMO. There were "motor" issues surrounding BHH the entire recruitment. It was rumored to be the reason Calipari pulled out the recruitment back when it was happening. We laughed at the time, but it turned out to be very true.

Phillips is a special talent, and probably has as much of an impact on this team as Chandler did this past season, IMO. He'll just need some time to get there like any young talent.

If he has as much of an impact as Chandler and we land Lofton, this team shouldn't miss a beat. Hope you're right, I just err on the side of caution when it comes to expectations for freshman.

Reactions: HeadVol77
If he has as much of an impact as Chandler and we land Lofton, this team shouldn't miss a beat. Hope you're right, I just err on the side of caution when it comes to expectations for freshman.

It will be hard to have the impact of Chandler because he had the ball in his hands so much and his defense was so disruptive and amazing. If Phillips or anyone new can manage that we should win 24+ games.

People like to use BHH as the example of us "missing" on a 5-star, but look at all of the other examples of Barnes' 5-stars:

- Kennedy Chandler
- Keon Johnson
- Jaden Springer
- Josiah Jordan-James

We're essentially 4/5 on instant impact players with these blue chip recruits. BHH was just a unique case study. He didn't want to do what it takes to be like these other guys, which is exactly why he transferred.

People like to use BHH as the example of us "missing" on a 5-star, but look at all of the other examples of Barnes' 5-stars:

- Kennedy Chandler
- Keon Johnson
- Jaden Springer
- Josiah Jordan-James

We're essentially 4/5 on instant impact players with these blue chip recruits. BHH was just a unique case study. He didn't want to do what it takes to be like these other guys, which is exactly why he transferred.

I would argue BHH was still an impactful player.

At 6-10 and very athletic, his impact should have been much greater. Something to be said for work ethic. Something he didn’t have.
I would argue BHH was still an impactful player.

Probably could have been better, if he had stopped taking bad advice from people around him.

Reactions: HeadVol77

Some people laughed.

DJ seems like the player that’ll transfer out after his freshman season when he inevitably doesn’t play a lot with who we have in front of him. Seems like a really explosive player though.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
DJ seems like the player that’ll transfer out after his freshman season when he inevitably doesn’t play a lot with who we have in front of him. Seems like a really explosive player though.
Not sure what the new norm will be…
1. Enter the portal after year one due to no playing time
2. Wait for that break out year and enter the portal for max NIL.

Not sure what the new norm will be…
1. Enter the portal after year one due to no playing time
2. Wait for that break out year and enter the portal for max NIL.
There should be a rule change that makes the act of entering the portal burn up the free transfer even if the player doesn’t leave. The portal is for players who intend to leave. It’s not supposed to be there to help players extort money out of their current school.

VN Store

Back