Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Agree about KO. Him and Barnes are the only two hires since DeVoe left where I felt we had hired a somewhat proven commodity. All the others were typical of UT athletics hiring...roll the dice and hope we hit a homerun.

Bruce was also hired after taking a mid major to the Sweet 16. Not necessarily even a high level MM. Cuonzo wasn't as successful in the NCAAT, but seemed like a solid guy. The thing that hurt him the most was following Bruce's personality. He would have had an easier path if following JG or DD or KO or BP.

Agree about KO. Him and Barnes are the only two hires since DeVoe left where I felt we had hired a somewhat proven commodity. All the others were typical of UT athletics hiring...roll the dice and hope we hit a homerun.
I’d love to hear the real story on how we settled on Jerry Green after KO. He was 72-70 at Oregon in 5 years, and was coming off of a 17-11 season and first rd loss in the NIT. How in the world did we end up settling on a guy from the west coast with that kind of resumé?

I’d love to hear the real story on how we settled on Jerry Green after KO. He was 72-70 at Oregon in 5 years, and was coming off of a 17-11 season and first rd loss in the NIT. How in the world did we end up settling on a guy from the west coast with that kind of resumé?

KO was pissed off at DD and put a lot of effort into poisoning the well. Green was a desperation hire.

He also had UNC connections and coached in Asheville. Might have been from NC as well.

Sorry, KO could not play nice anywhere he went. He was a disaster here. I will never forget being down 26-0 to Arkansas. Had to be the most embarrassing game in UT history. Thank God we finally have a real coach!!!

Sorry, KO could not play nice anywhere he went. He was a disaster here. I will never forget being down 26-0 to Arkansas. Had to be the most embarrassing game in UT history. Thank God we finally have a real coach!!!
Don't disagree, but at the time he had just beaten a good UK team in the tourney while at Marquette, best I remember, and seemed to be a coach on the rise.

KO was pissed off at DD and put a lot of effort into poisoning the well. Green was a desperation hire.

He also had UNC connections and coached in Asheville. Might have been from NC as well.
Is this the same coaching search during which we had all but hired Stallings, only to have Dickey taking calls from other prospective coaches within earshot of Stallings?

Reactions: LoudOrange

Yeah, that is all pretty-well known. I just wondered if there was some dark truth that created that match between Tennessee and JG. Green was also an assistant under Roy Williams at Kansas for a time, as well, and then head man at UNC-Asheville for many years. He had experience, he just didn’t have a lot of success. Just an odd fit, but Dickey was known for some odd fits in basketball.

Reactions: sport3500
I don't think that KO had enough of a track record when he was hired to have known how disturbed of a personality he was. He had been making waves as a recruiter while an assistant coach (the gorilla suit) and was successful at Marquette. We had no idea how much of an a**hole he really was. He had TN playing some intense defense... but then they couldn't toss a basketball into the TN River on the offensive end. He was only about 35 years old when DD hired him.

Is this the same coaching search during which we had all but hired Stallings, only to have Dickey taking calls from other prospective coaches within earshot of Stallings?

That might have been Buzz. Not sure though. DAD was a disaster for BB. Really surprising that he was able to return in 1985 after the **** he pulled in 1969.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Yeah, that is all pretty-well known. I just wondered if there was some dark truth that created that match between Tennessee and JG. Green was also an assistant under Roy Williams at Kansas for a time, as well, and then head man at UNC-Asheville for many years. He had experience, he just didn’t have a lot of success. Just an odd fit, but Dickey was known for some odd fits in basketball.

Four 20s and NCAATs. But another one of our pissed off ex coaches along with KO and Cuonzo. "Kmart".

Certainly one of the worst coaches at public relations that I can recall. He touted the fact that he had 4 seasons in a row with 20+ wins, but I believe most UT fans were glad to see him go.

Certainly one of the worst coaches at public relations that I can recall. He touted the fact that he had 4 seasons in a row with 20+ wins, but I believe most UT fans were glad to see him go.

Yes. He was a Richard Cranium. And way under achieved with the roster that KO left for him despite the 4x 20s and 4 NCAATs in 4 years.

KO was a tireless, relentless recruiter. Hardest working coach anywhere. Personal conflicts sabotaged his time here, but he had the train on the rails and would have been successful but for the conflicts.

My position is that Dickey was a "do it my way" person. He apparently had many conflicts across the years, but I hated that we took him back.

KO was a tireless, relentless recruiter. Hardest working coach anywhere. Personal conflicts sabotaged his time here, but he had the train on the rails and would have been successful but for the conflicts.
Agree about his work ethic and recruiting abilities. I thought he would have been successful here had he stayed as well, but after seeing the path of destruction he left everywhere he went afterwards, I'm not so sure now.

I don't think that KO had enough of a track record when he was hired to have known how disturbed of a personality he was. He had been making waves as a recruiter while an assistant coach (the gorilla suit) and was successful at Marquette. We had no idea how much of an a**hole he really was. He had TN playing some intense defense... but then they couldn't toss a basketball into the TN River on the offensive end. He was only about 35 years old when DD hired him.
Funny story about KO's offensive coaching abilities...I was coaching a middle school b-ball team during his tenure at UT and another local coach passed along some offensive drills and sets he had received during a KO clinic at UT. I used them in practice for a couple weeks, thinking that surely a D-1 coach's strategies must be something to be imitated. The first game we played, we put up a goose-egg in the first half.

Needless to say, I never used those drills/strategies again.

I think he was never going to get along with some people, but I thought he turned around recruiting. I think he inherited the least talent in the last 50 years (5 - 22 at TENNESSEE the previous season!), and survived long enought to recruit some good players. If he had not been such a hot head, I think he would have righted the ship. They HAD to play defense just to survive.

KO gets most of the bad rap, because of the mess that Houston left behind. Greene did as well as he did, primarily because he reaped the benefits of KO's recruiting. O'Neill was the right coach for that time in history, regardless of his record and reputation.

I know this opinion likely puts me in the minority, but I just think it was harder to follow Houston than it was to follow Bruce Pearl.

Reactions: cardvolfan
In other news, Josiah James said Victor Bailey Jr. is the best kept secret in all of college basketball, today. Yeah the inevitably of this season not happening is going to be a real kick in the nads.
I am curious if that was to happen (I don’t think it does) what that looks like for CBB...do they grant an extra year like in baseball? I didn’t follow that ruling too closely, did underclassmen lose a year of eligibility? Did they increase the roster numbers?

In other news, Josiah James said Victor Bailey Jr. is the best kept secret in all of college basketball, today. Yeah the inevitably of this season not happening is going to be a real kick in the nads.
I hope he's correct, but I don't put as much stock into these statements after similar statements were made about Jalen Johnson.

Reactions: berryvol
I could see the basketball season shortened, but I don't think it being cancelled is anywhere nearly as likely as football. Starting in January would not be that bad of an idea, if the coronavirus is still raging in October.

Reactions: Vols All Day

VN Store

Back