Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

We are swimming in recruiting waters that I thought I would never see, its amazing

Yet somehow certain posters leap at any opportunity to bash Deacon Barnes. The only time that TN was trending this well, Ernie ran out of eligibility, Bernard took the rare hardship route to the NBA, and despite only being in his very early 50s our coach had to retire for medical reasons.

I hate the one-and-done model. I want to continue with the majority of the rotation being upperclassmen.
I’m not talking about the one and done model

Do you not remember that team? They had soph and freshmen, Harrison twins came back, Stein came back, etc. they brought in Ulis, Booker, Towns, and more.
They used their starting line up and when they subbed they subbed out 5 guys. All I was saying is I wish we could do that. I thought it was cool.

I’m not talking about the one and done model

Do you not remember that team? They had soph and freshmen, Harrison twins came back, Stein came back, etc. they brought in Ulis, Booker, Towns, and more.
They used their starting line up and when they subbed they subbed out 5 guys. All I was saying is I wish we could do that. I thought it was cool.

I thought that we'd possibly go 2 platoon last year, but never saw it.

I thought that we'd possibly go 2 platoon last year, but never saw it.
I just thought it was unique, randomly thought about it this morning.

Line up 1
Springer
Vescovi/Bailey/Keon or whoever you think starts
JJJ
Pons
Fulky

Sub

Line up 2
Vescovi
Bailey
Ticket
ORN
Maybe a grad transfer big or if we add another HS recruit

It depends on how this off season goes with players leaving etc etc. Honestly, don’t think we can have two lineups next year, would be cool though, just need another big. We could try it though, we will deff have the best starting lineup in the SEC next season, imo. That whole 2nd group could give our starters rest

Reactions: SlyStone
It seems like 2-platoons would be fairly common when rosters permit it. Practices would have two cohesive units scrimmaging. But it would be disruptive to game flows and Barnes utilizes various combinations to find mismatches.

I hate the one-and-done model. I want to continue with the majority of the rotation being upperclassmen.
Man, I hate it too. Most of my enjoyment from last year's team was watching them improve and getting to "know" them as a players year to year. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to win championships too, but the mercenary quality of most UK teams make me not want to rely the one and doners. You can tell when you read their forums that the one year players leave a vacuum in their feelings for the players and the team. Significant unrest there unless you go undefeated in the season and win the nation championship. Last years team was satisfying to me even with the earlier than desired exit from the dance.

Hopefully we will see a combination. A few one and dones and some guys who need some time to become good players.

Yes. That's why I slid in the word "majority". What we have coming up next year is a nearly perfect mixture. A couple of players with NBA potential and the bulk of the rotation grizzled old veterans that have developed and are looking at paychecks as professionals that the young guns will listen to and respect. Admiral is the perfect role model. He was apparently a bit of a knucklehead as a freshman but 3 years later was in tears while addressing the TBA crowd on Senior Day and is now cashing NBA checks.

It seems like 2-platoons would be fairly common when rosters permit it. Practices would have two cohesive units scrimmaging. But it would be disruptive to game flows and Barnes utilizes various combinations to find mismatches.

I remember Perry Clark doing 2-platoon basketball when he brought back Tulane from the death penalty, somewhere around '89-'91. After the game got into a rhythm he would send in "The Posse" and they would press, trap, steal, and try to keep the other team from even getting the ball over halfcourt. They might own the record for steals. But it was very, very competitive in practice between the starters and the Posse... though in games they averaged almost exactly the same scoring.

Exciting basketball to watch (I was living in New Orleans at the time) and I think Clark won a national coach of the year award there.

Reeves not making official visit this weekend as we wrote in the War Room. Had a death in the family yesterday. Tennessee will have 2022 prospect Brandon Miller (No. 14 on Rivals) from Nashville in tomorrow on an unofficial visit.
-VQ

Last edited:
Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I just thought it was unique, randomly thought about it this morning.

Line up 1
Springer
Vescovi/Bailey/Keon or whoever you think starts
JJJ
Pons
Fulky

Sub

Line up 2
Vescovi
Bailey
Ticket
ORN
Maybe a grad transfer big or if we add another HS recruit

It depends on how this off season goes with players leaving etc etc. Honestly, don’t think we can have two lineups next year, would be cool though, just need another big. We could try it though, we will deff have the best starting lineup in the SEC next season, imo. That whole 2nd group could give our starters rest
What about Walker?

Barnes isn’t using a platoon system. He doesn’t play the bench period.

Barnes isn’t using a platoon system. He doesn’t play the bench period.

No one is really reliable or a scoring threat on this year's bench. Gaines will give you some hustle and JJ might hit a three or two.
Nothing from any Big though.

He's had good production from the bench in the past and he will again next year.

No one is really reliable or a scoring threat on this year's bench. Gaines will give you some hustle and JJ might hit a three or two.
Nothing from any Big though.

He's had good production from the bench in the past and he will again next year.

Yes but he’s not playing multiple bench guys over 20 mpg is what I’m saying

He did 2 years ago, but just barely...your point remains though, he’s not playing 10 guys big minutes. He prefers 7-8 main guys getting bulk of minutes each game.

He likes giving six guys bulk minutes, have one true backup big man and then having a couple wings play sporadically. At least since he’s been here

He likes giving six guys bulk minutes, have one true backup big man and then having a couple wings play sporadically. At least since he’s been here
That certainly wasn't true his first two years (8 and 9 guys averaging 15+ mpg), and not even entirely true his third year. Possible explanation is he was trying to figure out what he had in the players he inherited and then the first group he recruited. That rotation seemed to tighten up last year and this year.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
That certainly wasn't true his first two years (8 and 9 guys averaging 15+ mpg), and not even entirely true his third year. Possible explanation is he was trying to figure out what he had in the players he inherited and then the first group he recruited. That rotation seemed to tighten up last year and this year.

We were just trying to figure out who he had the first two years. I think the last three years you see more of a rotation he likes.

VN Store

Back