Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Which is why I referenced Barnes EXACT words. Sure, if you have an outlier like Durant, he’s going to play wherever he wants. Those players are too rare to throw out there like BTO did. So, you should take it up with him. If you look at Kent, he was a perimeter big. Barnes wanted him inside. He gone.
That's fair. I don't know if that was a big reason Kent left, but I can get behind what you're saying. I don't think players with untraditional physiques for their positions are quite that rare (though it is uncommon), and Pember is one of the exceptions if you ask me. From what I've seen, he's more guard oriented than forward imo.

That's fair. I don't know if that was a big reason Kent left, but I can get behind what you're saying. I don't think players with untraditional physiques for their positions are quite that rare (though it is uncommon), and Pember is one of the exceptions if you ask me. From what I've seen, he's more guard oriented than forward imo.

Kent was a “perimeter big” that couldn’t defend the perimeter, he moved like he had ankle weights on...the staff loved his offensive skill set but there are 2 sides of the court, when he failed to develop any lateral quickness they wanted to put him in the post more. Pember has the quickness to be on the perimeter more, they aren’t asking him to simply play in the post...as Chris gave examples of Barnes has used many guys very untraditionally, this is simply another of Roust’s attempts to take a negative stance against Barnes. Much like his take that Tennessee’s medical staff, or as he put it Barnes’ guys, screwed up diagnosing turner and drove him into the ground.

FWIW, I don't know that it is as black and white as Roust is portraying. I don't think it was as rigid an issue as "Barnes wanted him inside", as much as Barnes wanted him to be effective inside, as well as on the perimeter. The staff supposedly saw Kent as their version of Luke Kornet, who could play in the paint and on the perimeter. Kent never showed an ability to play anywhere, apparently, and that is more likely why "he gone" than any other reason.

On the recruiting front Tennessee made the short trip to see Knox Catholic’s B.J. Edwards last Friday and it appears the Vols are pushing in a serious manner for the local point guard. Fans will get a chance to see him square off against signee Jaden Springer when IMG comes to Catholic on Jan. 25.
Elsewhere Tennessee was in Dallas on Thursday night to watch top Tennessee 2021 target Harrison Ingram in person. Ingram, the No. 14 ranked player in the ’21 class, has already made a couple of visits to campus as a prospect.
-VQ

Gonzaga landed a big time recruit. Does that help or hurt TN's odds of getting Panchero (I don't know if their recruit complements or takes playing time away from Panchero)?

Gonzaga landed a big time recruit. Does that help or hurt TN's odds of getting Panchero (I don't know if their recruit complements or takes playing time away from Panchero)?
I assume you are referring to Jalen Suggs, who is a PG and a 2020 commit, so doubt it hurts the Zags chances with Banchero (with a B 😉). It could help if Suggs is a multi-year player, but that is probably unlikely. Us landing Chandler would help us more, IMO.

Reactions: ArdentVol
TIFWIW, Basilio said on his postgame that Tennessee is chasing Seth Towns and Patrick Tape.
Towns is very good (Ivy League POY two years ago), but hasn't played in two years because of injury. Sat out all of last year, and just recently had knee surgery that will sideline him this year.

Tape, also an Ivy Leaguer at Columbia, is sitting out this season with intentions to grad transfer. While Towns is perhaps more talented, Tape may fit what we need a bit better and is the taller of the players at 6-9.

Reactions: ArdentVol and VOLED
There will be a lot of teams chasing Seth Towns

No doubt as long as he's healthy as Chris noted. I was admittedly a bit surprised. Figured we would go that route for a legit big man. Towns is about the same size and build as Corey Walker. Tape makes a lot more sense as far as need.

The Florida game at the end of next month could end up being a recruiting showcase for the Vols. Two names we’re hearing right now as potential official visitors from the 2021 class are five-stars Jabari Smith and Harrison Ingram, the No. 3 and No. 14 rated players in the nation in that class. If the Vols manage to get them to campus, and right now it sounds like there’s at least a decent likelihood of that happening, that will be an impressive list of juniors that they will have gotten on campus this year, joining No. 2 overall player Paolo Banchero and No. 11 Kennedy Chandler. Tennessee continues to keep close tabs and remains in contact with both Banchero and Kennedy. It goes without saying that with the competition they’re facing with both that they’re going to be tough pulls and if we were handicapping things it seems that Kennedy is the more likely to end up in orange.
-VQ

VN Store

Back