Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Being recruited as a TE with the option of playing basketball. Legit basketball talent, apparently, but pulling double duty is so hard, I'd be shocked if he were able to be effective in both sports.
Does that impact basketball scholarship #s?

Does that impact basketball scholarship #s?
No. I think the rule is technically written to say that if an athlete competes in football and another sport, that athlete's scholarship is deducted from the number of scholarships of the highest revenue sport, which is almost always football.

It is affectionately known as the "Bear Bryant rule" due to his propensity for giving baseball, swimming, track, etc. scholarships to football players to skirt the NCAA limit on football scholarships.

The football team is also recruiting Malachi Wideman he is a 4 star receiver and small forward. I don't think there has been any mention of Barnes giving Wideman the option to play b-ball. It seems like Beckwith is a Vol and Malachi is unlikely.
Malachi Wideman, 2020 Small forward - Rivals.com

I'd seen Dee Beck's bball highlights but hadn't seen Wideman's yet. I wouldn't be mad if both were Vols and played both sports. They likely wouldn't be contributors on the court until mid-January but adding athletic toughness to a team is never a bad thing. Imo

Btw, if those were Widemans sophomore highlights I can't wait to see his junior and senior tapes.

Being recruited as a TE with the option of playing basketball. Legit basketball talent, apparently, but pulling double duty is so hard, I'd be shocked if he were able to be effective in both sports.

No clue where he'd help the Vols the best, but if Barnes can gain +1 from a legit D-1 talent without having to burn a scholarship...I don't hate the idea. Even if he's just mostly an extra body in practice that still can be of benefit.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Hope not, he seems like the perfect fit to finish that class. Maybe just didn’t click with the everybody when he was here. Who knows, would be a tough miss tho
For some reason, I thought Cardwell and Springer were good friends

I wonder with Jalen Johnson stepping up his play the last few games if there will even be a for sure spot for Cardwell on next season’s roster, scholarship wise

Last edited:
There will be a spot this spring, someone will move on.
Agree and UT needs another rim protector, not named Pons. Cardwell would be the perfect fit, imo. I know Fulk blocks some shots and UP will, just because he is 7 foot, but Cardwell is Kyle Alexander 2.0 with a mean streak.

There will be a spot this spring, someone will move on.

Care to tell us who that would be? I'm not necessarily seeing it unless JJ wants to be the man in a different situation. But he could add the element of a 3-point threat next year. Pember is last off of the bench, but he could pay his own way next year if they need another scholarship. He needs to redshirt in 2020-21.

So who are you running off?

Care to tell us who that would be? I'm not necessarily seeing it unless JJ wants to be the man in a different situation. But he could add the element of a 3-point threat next year. Pember is last off of the bench, but he could pay his own way next year if they need another scholarship. He needs to redshirt in 2020-21.

When has JJ ever been a 3pt threat?

I am not endorsing the idea, but perhaps Gaines.

His playing time, for whatever reason, is dropping, and the guard position is about to see a glut of of bodies and talent. Since he signed, we have added Vescovi, Springer, Johnson, and Bailey, all of which may see minutes ahead of him next year, plus Jalen Johnson and JJJ who would be returning, as of now. That puts DG 6th or 7th in the pecking order based on his current status.

On the flip side, he could use that opportunity to redshirt if he open to the idea.

Again, not saying it will be him, but he is 700 miles from home, not getting a lot of playing time, and is facing an uphill battle for future playing time. I’d hate to lose him because I like his potential.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I am not endorsing the idea, but perhaps Gaines.

His playing time, for whatever reason, is dropping, and the guard position is about to see a glut of of bodies and talent. Since he signed, we have added Vescovi, Springer, Johnson, and Bailey, all of which may see minutes ahead of him next year, plus Jalen Johnson and JJJ who would be returning, as of now. That puts DG 6th or 7th in the pecking order based on his current status.

On the flip side, he could use that opportunity to redshirt if he open to the idea.

Again, not saying it will be him, but he is 700 miles from home, not getting a lot of playing time, and is facing an uphill battle for future playing time. I’d hate to lose him because I like his potential.

Gaines makes sense, but if he can wait it out he could be a major contributor. He has that RS year, so he could move down a level or two and be the featured player for 3 years. If he stays at TN he absolutely should RS next year while Springer, KJ, Walker, JJJ, Bailey, Vescovi, and possibly JJ take almost all available minutes. Depends what he wants. Transferring guarantees he'll get 30+ minutes per game for 3 years. Sticking with the Deacon means he'll be pushed to his potential. He would log fewer minutes in games but he'll be practicing against future NBA draft picks.

If he becomes a 5th year senior at TN, only Pember would have a good chance of still being on the roster. Springer, JJJ, JJ, and Bailey will all be gone. Vescovi isn't going to be here except in a highly improbable scenario. I think that there's a small chance that Keon stays 4 years as Griffin has said he's very serious about his education. I think he's most likely on the roster for 2 years and possibly 3 as long as he won't be as dominating as the VN drive bys expect him to be.

Pember and Gaines will almost certainly see a lot of playing time their junior and senior years if they take redshirts. The big unknown is who does Barnes add in the 2021 and 2022 classes.

Gaines makes sense, but if he can wait it out he could be a major contributor. He has that RS year, so he could move down a level or two and be the featured player for 3 years. If he stays at TN he absolutely should RS next year while Springer, KJ, Walker, JJJ, Bailey, Vescovi, and possibly JJ take almost all available minutes. Depends what he wants. Transferring guarantees he'll get 30+ minutes per game for 3 years. Sticking with the Deacon means he'll be pushed to his potential. He would log fewer minutes in games but he'll be practicing against future NBA draft picks.

If he becomes a 5th year senior at TN, only Pember would have a good chance of still being on the roster. Springer, JJJ, JJ, and Bailey will all be gone. Vescovi isn't going to be here except in a highly improbable scenario. I think that there's a small chance that Keon stays 4 years as Griffin has said he's very serious about his education. I think he's most likely on the roster for 2 years and possibly 3 as long as he won't be as dominating as the VN drive bys expect him to be.

Pember and Gaines will almost certainly see a lot of playing time their junior and senior years if they take redshirts. The big unknown is who does Barnes add in the 2021 and 2022 classes.

According to RSPN, in their way-too-early 2021 NBA draft projection, Keon will go 14th, Jaden 28th, and Pons late second round. I would have thought that Keon’s and Jaden’s position would be reversed.

According to RSPN, in their way-too-early 2021 NBA draft projection, Keon will go 14th, Jaden 28th, and Pons late second round. I would have thought that Keon’s and Jaden’s position would be reversed.
Sorry, ESPN, not RSPN.

VN Store

Back