Tennessee Lady Vol News

Now that we are 6 meaningful games into the season I think the team stats are starting to have some legitimacy. Here are some that I find interesting...

Current Season
1669133062702.png
1669133265057.png

Last Season
1669133097226.png
1669133242327.png

OBSERVATION: Our offense has improved slighly, but our defense has fallen off badly with no real explanation other than Key has not been even close to the defensive presence that she was last year.

Current Season
1669133403882.png

Last Season
1669133379553.png

OBSERVATION: We are a significantly better shooting team this year.

Current Season
1669133694520.png

Last Season
1669133714692.png

OBSERVATION: We have gone from perhaps the best rebounding team in the nation to barely average. This one bothers me most.

Thanks for introducing facts. Probably worthy of a thread of its own but facts tend to get dismissed around here in favor of innuendo or fabrication so I don't know if the truth or facts would be well received by some.

Rebounding is a surprise....not because of the way they are playing....but because with a 6'6" + center and two 6'2" wings, we theoretically should be getting a lot of rebounds because we are bigger.

Now that we are 6 meaningful games into the season I think the team stats are starting to have some legitimacy. Here are some that I find interesting...

Current Season
View attachment 516899
View attachment 516903

Last Season
View attachment 516900
View attachment 516902

OBSERVATION: Our offense has improved slighly, but our defense has fallen off badly with no real explanation other than Key has not been even close to the defensive presence that she was last year.

Current Season
View attachment 516905

Last Season
View attachment 516904

Current Season
View attachment 516907

Last Season
View attachment 516908

OBSERVATION: We have gone from perhaps the best rebounding team in the nation to barely average. This one bothers me most.
I've been saying from the beginning rebounding and defense were the problem and you just presented the stats that prove that to be true. Both were a lot better yesterday still a lot of room for improvement.

Current Season
View attachment 516899
View attachment 516903

Last Season
View attachment 516900
View attachment 516902

Current Season
View attachment 516905

Last Season
View attachment 516904

Current Season
View attachment 516907

Last Season
View attachment 516908

Great info! Thanks for pulling it together!

I would say that four spots look really solid to me. Jackson, Powell, Franklin, and Horston. That fifth spot could go either way. Key makes us better defensively with the other four and Darby makes us better offensively. I think those six lead the way and were looking for players to step up and find a place in the rotation. I haven't seen anybody past those six that has really been effective to this point. Actually only four Jackson, Powell, Horston, and Franklin have shown any consistency at all. Darby and Key have played well in some stretches neither has shown consistent play. Other that have played well in certain games are Miles and Suarez in one game. Walker has played decent defense, but her offense and decision making have hurt badly. Coach Kellie needs to find nine or ten right now she has four.

Reactions: Mr.Vol2U
Interesting that we don't see Key anywhere maybe she will stay and talk Jordan into doing so also.
Key is not dominant enough to be successful at the pro level. She has few post moves and has limited shots in her tool box. She also gets abused down low by smaller ball players. Also she does not have very good hands. She could use some work with the medicine ball. I believe it would benefit her to stay another year but first take post training from a post coach. Boston did this after her freshman year and it paid a ton of benefits.

Key is not dominant enough to be successful at the pro level. She has few post moves and has limited shots in her tool box. She also gets abused down low by smaller ball players. Also she does not have very good hands. She could use some work with the medicine ball. I believe it would benefit her to stay another year but first take post training from a post coach. Boston did this after her freshman year and it paid a ton of benefits.
I think it is a mental thing too. You have got to want to be dominant. It's seems to me she is just not into playing the game. I could be wrong but imo.

Glad she talked about the defense and making it a priority this week. Totally agree with her still not where we want to be, but a lot of progress has been made. As we get better there the team will become more like a top five team in the country. When you can stop the other team effectively your chance of winning even when your offense is having a bad day is still a high percentage chance of winning.

The defensive assessment is reasonable from Coach KJH but the offense can’t have these lapses both on the court & from the sidelines. Turnovers and in-game management can be improved by using those timeouts. Today was a step forward..

I think it is a mental thing too. You have got to want to be dominant. It's seems to me she is just not into playing the game. I could be wrong but imo.
I agree with you on the mental thing. You have to want to, have the physical ability, and the mental desire and fire to be dominant. TK also doesn’t seem to be as strong as she needs to be. A good weight program should have cured that.

I saw this and I was stunned.....no one including UCONN will ever match this...incredible to say the least !!!! Tennessee fell out of the poll this week marking the 56th time in the 827-week history of the poll that the Lady Vols weren't ranked. Gamecocks still No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll

Justified, very justified. But Tennessee will be back in the poll, soon enough.

VN Store

Back