Tennessee Lady Vol News

I didn't love the answer about the lineups. Coach Kellie continues to point out how the lineups are fluid and will change per game but I'm not sure that has materialized so far. I was happy to hear that they are utilizing various forms of data to evaluate lineups, but the fact that different lineups have performed better defensively each game sounds like more confusion to me.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I didn't love the answer about the lineups. Coach Kellie continues to point out how the lineups are fluid and will change per game but I'm not sure that has materialized so far. I was happy to hear that they are utilizing various forms of data to evaluate lineups, but the fact that different lineups have performed better defensively each game sounds like more confusion to me.

Yeah it’s sorta pissing me off. The way she’s subbing makes it impossible to evaluate that. She should be leaving our 3 main players on the floor for close to 30 minutes and trying other combos with them.

The 5 in 5 out crap does not lend itself to any consistency and it’s too hard for the players to get in a rhythm to assess any data meaningfully as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s sorta pissing me off. The way she’s subbing makes it impossible to evaluate that. She should be leaving our 3 main players on the floor for close to 30 minutes and trying other combos with them.

The 5 in 5 out crap does lend itself to any consistency and it’s too hard for the players to get in a rhythm to assess any data meaningfully as far as I’m concerned.

I guess it is frustrating to some. Just got to have faith she is doing it this way because she believes it will work. There could be several reasons she is subbing the way she is not the least of which is challenging the on-floor leadership to lead. The hard things are the ones they will remember the longest.

It is ok to continue it against certain opponents coming up. I hope she will go to about 8 players that are the most trustworthy right now for the Va Tech game. The starters really need to play plus 30 if she thinks they can handle it. You have to put your best out there when the opponent is this good. We can evaluate more against Wright State and teams like that.

The 5 in 5 out crap does lend itself to any consistency and it’s too hard for the players to get in a rhythm to assess any data meaningfully as far as I’m concerned.
She has to know who the best are right so now take the best and forget the rest for Va Tech. We can go back into more evaluation with the 240 ranked teams.

It is ok to continue it against certain opponents coming up. I hope she will go to about 8 players that are the most trustworthy right now for the Va Tech game. The starters really need to play plus 30 if she thinks they can handle it. You have to put your best out there when the opponent is this good. We can evaluate more against Wright State and teams like that.

I hope the board doesn't go postal if she plays more than 8. Oh well....it would have been nice to get Karo, Justine, Kaiya, and Brooklyn some minutes against a top 10 team. Who is the 8 you want to see play?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If one counts Powell, Horston, Jackson, Darby and Key as the starters, which 3 does one pick for the total of 8.....Hollingshead, Suarez, Franklin, Pissott, Striplin, Wynn, Walker, Puckett or Miles?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So, which is better?

Massey’s has LSU’s strength of schedule at 323, ours is at 4, and LSU is ranked in the AP at 11, while we’re unranked. Since this is our situation, each game has become more
imperative to win, bringing with it more pressure, and possibly nerves and confidence issues. We can still play the best schedule, but it doesn’t have to be in the very beginning. Right now, 2 of the first 3 teams we played, and lost to, are ranked in the top 5. Hope we start with some cupcakes next year.

So, which is better?

Massey’s has LSU’s strength of schedule at 323, ours is at 4, and LSU is ranked in the AP at 11, while we’re unranked. Since this is our situation, each game has become more
imperative to win, bringing with it more pressure, and possibly nerves and confidence issues. We can still play the best schedule, but it doesn’t have to be in the very beginning. Right now, 2 of the first 3 teams we played, and lost to, are ranked in the top 5. Hope we start with some cupcakes next year.

Deja Vu?

So, which is better?

If it were me, I would play 11......the starters + Hollingshead, Suarez, Franklin, Striplin, Puckett and Miles. Would also love to have the lead to play Pissott, Wynn, and Walker. It will be interesting to see who steps up this Sunday.

I wouldn't be too worried about LSU since there will be a head-to-head. Kim, like Luigi used to do, schedules down when they are weak and up when strong. It's what they do.

I hope the board doesn't go postal if she plays more than 8. Oh well....it would have been nice to get Karo, Justine, Kaiya, and Brooklyn some minutes against a top 10 team. Who is the 8 you want to see play?
For these elite games only would like to see post Key, Franklin, and Hollingshead, wings Horston, Jackson, Darby, Puckett, and Powell maybe Walker or Miles sometime during the game. You could play all ten of these and probably not lose any effectiveness as long as you kept three starters on the floor at all times. You could sub Puckett in for Horston and leave Jackson out there and then Jackson to the bench with Horston's return. The most panic sets in when I see Jackson and Horston on the bench at the same time. The scary part is when you see something like Miles, Wynn, Walker, Suarez, and a center out there together. We've had lineups like that out there and they always were getting beaten badly by the opponent.

That is ten not eight and can see that being ok to not get off track to much. Justine is just a little to frightened to play right now in these type games. Wynn, and Suarez play way out of the team concept. Striplin plays ok and I could see her getting couple minutes here and there if the coach so decides. I'd like to see Horston, Jackson, Key, Franklin and Powell play at least 30 minutes each with players like Hollingshead, Puckett, Darby, and Walker filling in the rest.

Ohio State vs. Louisville - Women's College Basketball Box Score - November 30, 2022 | ESPN This is what Ohio State looks like in a big game. A lot of coaches use this same concept maybe adding one or two more players. He only played seven against Louisville and they pressed the entire game. Wright State vs. Ohio State - Women's College Basketball Box Score - November 23, 2022 | ESPN When he plays someone like Wright State that is when he expands and lets everyone play as seen in this boxscore.

So, which is better?

The big question will be how does it affect LSU in the NCAA Tourney and how will it affect us. Let us say we tie in wins in the Southeastern conference and they win all their non conference games with their best opponent being ranked 47 and one other at 150 and the other nine mostly over 300. We lose five non conference games all to teams ranked in the top 20. If we get a lower seed than LSU for playing those games then it seems logical to play their schedule what other benefit does it bring? Because the schedule they have played you can play every player you got every game and still win. You can't do that against the teams we have been playing. If your getting a higher seed for doing it I don't see the point in not doing it.

For these elite games only would like to see post Key, Franklin, and Hollingshead, wings Horston, Jackson, Darby, Puckett, and Powell maybe Walker or Miles sometime during the game. You could play all ten of these and probably not lose any effectiveness as long as you kept three starters on the floor at all times. You could sub Puckett in for Horston and leave Jackson out there and then Jackson to the bench with Horston's return. The most panic sets in when I see Jackson and Horston on the bench at the same time. The scary part is when you see something like Miles, Wynn, Walker, Suarez, and a center out there together. We've had lineups like that out there and they always were getting beaten badly by the opponent.

That is ten not eight and can see that being ok to not get off track to much. Justine is just a little to frightened to play right now in these type games. Wynn, and Suarez play way out of the team concept. Striplin plays ok and I could see her getting couple minutes here and there if the coach so decides. I'd like to see Horston, Jackson, Key, Franklin and Powell play at least 30 minutes each with players like Hollingshead, Puckett, Darby, and Walker filling in the rest.

Ohio State vs. Louisville - Women's College Basketball Box Score - November 30, 2022 | ESPN This is what Ohio State looks like in a big game. A lot of coaches use this same concept maybe adding one or two more players. He only played seven against Louisville and they pressed the entire game. Wright State vs. Ohio State - Women's College Basketball Box Score - November 23, 2022 | ESPN When he plays someone like Wright State that is when he expands and lets everyone play as seen in this boxscore.

I like it.....don't totally buy-in only because I believe when Horston and Jackson are on the bench, one or more players have to step up and fill that scoring and defense void. They have to be ready. This type of situation is what Kellie is coaching to fix. There will be one or more games where either Jordan or Rickea is sick or having an off game and the other gets into foul trouble effectively benching both or heaven forbid an injury occurs. Who is going to step up and who is left to maintain or extend leads when Kellie rests the starters? In that scenario, only 1 of the eight is left to provide rest. That will definitely drive the starters minutes up but, IMO, our starters should not have to play more than 25 minutes a game otherwise, they may not have the legs to play through tournaments.

The big question will be how does it affect LSU in the NCAA Tourney and how will it affect us. Let us say we tie in wins in the Southeastern conference and they win all their non conference games with their best opponent being ranked 47 and one other at 150 and the other nine mostly over 300. We lose five non conference games all to teams ranked in the top 20. If we get a lower seed than LSU for playing those games then it seems logical to play their schedule what other benefit does it bring? Because the schedule they have played you can play every player you got every game and still win. You can't do that against the teams we have been playing. If your getting a higher seed for doing it I don't see the point in not doing it.
Tougher schedule is high risk, high reward vs. what LSU did. There is zero chance that LSU will get a #1 seed if they don't beat SC or win the SECT. Tennessee's schedule could have gotten a #1 seed even with some losses by virtue of the tougher competitiom...assuming they backed that up with some wins against good teams. The issue is that they lost the games against the good teams they were expected to beat, and have yet to play the teams they were expected to lose to. So they got no benefit from the tougher schedule simply because they didn't win enough of the games against the better teams. If they don't beat VT, UConn or Stanford OOC, there's not much separating the teams Tennessee beat vs. the ones that LSU beat.

I like it.....don't totally buy-in only because I believe when Horston and Jackson are on the bench, one or more players have to step up and fill that scoring and defense void. They have to be ready. This type of situation is what Kellie is coaching to fix. There will be one or more games where either Jordan or Rickea is sick or having an off game and the other gets into foul trouble effectively benching both or heaven forbid an injury occurs. Who is going to step up and who is left to maintain or extend leads when Kellie rests the starters? In that scenario, only 1 of the eight is left to provide rest. That will definitely drive the starters minutes up but, IMO, our starters should not have to play more than 25 minutes a game otherwise, they may not have the legs to play through tournaments.
Could turn out to be true, but a lot of teams end up playing their starters something like 25 to 30 a game, but they sit out a lot more in the weaker games and play more in the tougher games. Had hoped going into the season that the talent level would not show a drop off to at least ten players into the bench. JMO after about five players we experience a talent drop to some extent and after about nine there is some real concern at least what has happened on the court. I'm all in for Coaches plan to work just make the tourney then you need to make a huge run if what were doing is to pay off. Losing a few games won't mean anything if you make the elite 8 or hopefully the final four.

"The issue is that they lost the games against the good teams they were expected to beat, and have yet to play the teams they were expected to lose to. So they got no benefit from the tougher schedule simply because they didn't win enough of the games against the better teams. If they don't beat VT, UConn or Stanford OOC, there's not much separating the teams Tennessee beat vs. the ones that LSU beat.

And that is the concern about this team/brand going in the right direction. Hard to get excited about wins vs EKU when we've lost games to team we were "expected to beat". Those teams are pretty solid teams as the season played on, but getting knocked out of the Top 25 this early is concerning from where we started.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Tougher schedule is high risk, high reward vs. what LSU did. There is zero chance that LSU will get a #1 seed if they don't beat SC or win the SECT. Tennessee's schedule could have gotten a #1 seed even with some losses by virtue of the tougher competitiom...assuming they backed that up with some wins against good teams. The issue is that they lost the games against the good teams they were expected to beat, and have yet to play the teams they were expected to lose to. So they got no benefit from the tougher schedule simply because they didn't win enough of the games against the better teams. If they don't beat VT, UConn or Stanford OOC, there's not much separating the teams Tennessee beat vs. the ones that LSU beat.
Yes I was saying something a little different from what your saying. I was saying we win over Va Tech, UCF, and already have a win over UMASS, Colorado four teams all better than they will play excepting one. Then we have six losses against all top 20 teams they have six wins over 300 rated teams. We finish with the same SEC record a tie who gets the higher seed? If it is them for their six 300 rated teams then this is the course we should've took. It is an easy way to get to play your first two games at home and be a top 16 seed. If it does end up that way and we have the three better non conference wins where all their wins are 300 rated excepting two then who gets the higher seed? That will be what I am interested in seeing this season. I can see both Tennessee and LSU winning 12 or more SEC conference games this season. I want to see how much just winning helps them no matter the competition.

Last edited:
Maybe a list of pros and cons is appropriate.

This year, what were some of the pros and cons of playing 2 (now top 5) teams in our first 3 games, and a total of 4 teams in the first 6 games now ranked in top 25?

Cons:
1. Burst our beginning of the season excitement bubble.
2. Hurt our confidence.
3. Fell out of the rankings, which is bad publicity.
4. Put even more pressure on winning future games.
5. Effect of tournament seeding yet to be determined.

Pros:
1. Big anticipation and excitement to start the season.
2. Had we won, you can reverse Cons 1-3, and the games would have been a great confidence booster.
3. Pointed out weaknesses which can be immediately worked on to correct.
4. Hopefully the losses brought the team together in determination and urgency on improving their play.
5. Effect of tournament seeding yet to be determined.

It was a gamble, maybe we started the season overconfident. We are not overconfident anymore, but hopefully more together and more determined. Have to count it as a learning experience, and hope it helped us in the long run.

Last edited:
Remember Keliie is a math major and loves stats and statistical analysis. I'm thinking she's trying to find best combinations for different situations and against different opponent playing styles and personnel. I think she's going to use them all this season based on certain situations. For example, if we are gonna play a pressing team, what are the best five? If we're playing a zone defense team, best five? etc. I think she's trying to find ways that any of her 15 players can help, and use them in those ways.

The starting five seems to have been established now. Beyond those mentioned, I think Suarez is redundant to Puckett, so one of them will probably take a back seat to the other. Miles would likely play if we're pressing or trying to break a press, and maybe Wynn as well for her speed. I odn't think it's necessary to cull the roster to 8 players and the others sit and watch. I think there are more deserving than 8. Remember that the ones who sit so much are not gonna develop at the rate they'd like to.

The ones I would play the least (if I had to, but I don't want to) are Miles, Wynn, Suarez, Walker, Striplin, and maybe Pissott, hoping she will develop more in practice. But that still leaves 9 or 10 to play. I'm not advocating those players should sit, just sayin........

Remember Keliie is a math major and loves stats and statistical analysis. I'm thinking she's trying to find best combinations for different situations and against different opponent playing styles and personnel. I think she's going to use them all this season based on certain situations. For example, if we are gonna play a pressing team, what are the best five? If we're playing a zone defense team, best five? etc. I think she's trying to find ways that any of her 15 players can help, and use them in those ways.

The starting five seems to have been established now. Beyond those mentioned, I think Suarez is redundant to Puckett, so one of them will probably take a back seat to the other. Miles would likely play if we're pressing or trying to break a press, and maybe Wynn as well for her speed. I odn't think it's necessary to cull the roster to 8 players and the others sit and watch. I think there are more deserving than 8. Remember that the ones who sit so much are not gonna develop at the rate they'd like to.

The ones I would play the least (if I had to, but I don't want to) are Miles, Wynn, Suarez, Walker, Striplin, and maybe Pissott, hoping she will develop more in practice. But that still leaves 9 or 10 to play. I'm not advocating those players should sit, just sayin........
As much as it pains me to say it, you probably have to play Walker or Miles. Otherwise, Powell is the only guard in the rotation.

VN Store

Back