Tennessee Lady Vol News

Yes I was saying something a little different from what your saying. I was saying we win over Va Tech, UCF, and already have a win over UMASS, Colorado four teams all better than they will play excepting one. Then we have six losses against all top 20 teams they have six wins over 300 rated teams. We finish with the same SEC record a tie who gets the higher seed? If it is them for their six 300 rated teams then this is the course we should've took. It is an easy way to get to play your first two games at home and be a top 16 seed. If it does end up that way and we have the three better non conference wins where all their wins are 300 rated excepting two then who gets the higher seed? That will be what I am interested in seeing this season. I can see both Tennessee and LSU winning 12 or more SEC conference games this season. I want to see how much just winning helps them no matter the competition.
If Tennessee beats VT (who doesn't take bad losses in ACC play) and they both finish with equal SEC record, it would probably come down to a.) who had better SEC wins and b.) who won their H2H matchup.

If one counts Powell, Horston, Jackson, Darby and Key as the starters, which 3 does one pick for the total of 8.....Hollingshead, Suarez, Franklin, Pissott, Striplin, Wynn, Walker, Puckett or Miles?

IMO, Puckett, Franklin, and Hollingshead are who I would roll with. The others I would only play in very specialized situations.

A flaw with this is that I know CKH will still play Walker, which is disappointing.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
IMO, Puckett, Franklin, and Hollingshead are who I would roll with. The others I would only play in very specialized situations.

A flaw with this is that I know CKH will still play Walker, which is disappointing.
If Kellie is looking at the stats which she claims she is would sit Walker until those shooting percentages go up. Her shooting percentage from every part of the game is tragic at this time.

If Kellie is looking at the stats which she claims she is would sit Walker until those shooting percentages go up. Her shooting percentage from every part of the game is tragic at this time.

Ya think she may be off since she lost the starting role?

I was in the minority (as usual) in offseason that was not thrilled when Walker announced she was returning, and this is why. She contributes little on the court, and Kellie's insistence on continuing to give her minutes is only stymying the development of players with higher upside...

Ya think she may be off since she lost the starting role?
She does have some intangibles that some of the others don't. She is a bit tougher than most on the team and isn't afraid to mix it up. She is not timid, she will take a charge and rebound from her position. That may be the reason for the continued minutes.

But none of the three you mentioned are guards. Are our starting guards supposed to play 40 minutes?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
She does have some intangibles that some of the others don't. She is a bit tougher than most on the team and isn't afraid to mix it up. She is not timid, she will take a charge and rebound from her position. That may be the reason for the continued minutes.

So far she's only delivering god-awful shooting, turnovers, and pissed off teammates...

But none of the three you mentioned are guards. Are our starting guards supposed to play 40 minutes?

Puckett plays on the perimeter. Powell, Jackson, Horston, and Darby all have guard skills. If Jackson and Horston play about 35 minutes and Powell and Darby play about 30 minutes, two out of those four could be in the game at all times.

Tell me you wouldn't be okay with this lineup as the first subs in (after the starters). Here we are pulling Key, Darby, and Horston...

Powell
Jackson
Puckett
Franklin
Hollingshead

Then sub out Powell, Jackson, and Hollingshead for a couple minutes and you come back with

Horston
Darby
Puckett
Franklin
Key

Then maybe you finish the half like this

Powell
Horston
Jackson
Hollingshead
* your choice of Darby, Key, or Franklin based on their minute workload or you could take this opportunity to dip into the bench and play Striplin or Suarez for a couple minutes. I kinda like the idea of letting Striplin come in fresh off the bench at the end of the first half to keep our other posts out of foul trouble and beat up their best post for a couple minutes.

Puckett plays on the perimeter. Powell, Jackson, Horston, and Darby all have guard skills. If Jackson and Horston play about 35 minutes and Powell and Darby play about 30 minutes, two out of those four could be in the game at all times.

Tell me you wouldn't be okay with this lineup as the first subs in (after the starters). Here we are pulling Key, Darby, and Horston...

Powell
Jackson
Puckett
Franklin
Hollingshead

Then sub out Powell, Jackson, and Hollingshead for a couple minutes and you come back with

Horston
Darby
Puckett
Franklin
Key

Then maybe you finish the half like this

Powell
Horston
Jackson
Hollingshead
* your choice of Darby, Key, or Franklin based on their minute workload or you could take this opportunity to dip into the bench and play Striplin or Suarez for a couple minutes. I kinda like the idea of letting Striplin come in fresh off the bench at the end of the first half to keep our other posts out of foul trouble and beat up their best post for a couple minutes.
No.

We’ve got a problem. If you look at the roster for the last 2 competitive games against UCLA and Gonzaga, you’ll see that in the UCLA game, we had 10 players get 11+ minutes each. Neither Rickea nor Horston shot well, going 2 for 9, and 5 of 17, respectively, playing 29 and 28 minutes.

This changed for the Gonzaga game. In that game, we had 6 players get 20+ minutes each. They were Horston, Rickea, Powell, Key, Franklin, and Walker. Tess got 15, Sara and Marta got 8 each, and Hollingshead got 4 minutes.

Horston and Rickea shot better, going 8 of 20, and 6 of 12. A problem was that Powell made 2 of 7 shots in 30 minutes, and Walker made 1 of 6 in 25 minutes. So, who subs for Powell? Do we let Horston play point, and add Sara? If we think adding Sara is going to help scoring, her numbers in all our games are: 0-1, 1-3, 0-0, 2-5, 1-5, 1-3, and 2-6. Apparently, she has expected to play less this year, and not being needed for scoring has taken her scoring edge. Her minutes played in the games are: 7, 9, 5, 12, 14, 16, and 12. She needs more minutes to get back in her scoring rhythm.

So, Kellie is going to go over all the stats, which is probably a mammoth job. In our last game against Eastern Kentucky in which everyone played, we saw 5 players score in double digits: Rickea, Horston, Key, Hollingshead, and Striplin. It was not tough competition, so do you give Hollingshead and Striplin more minutes?

We practiced on defense this week, and Tamari plays well against players more her size. Marta plays defense with a lot of energy. I’d like to see some of Walker minutes given to better shooters, whomever they may be. The best players are still Horston, Rickea, Key, and Franklin, and hopefully, Powell. Hollingshead and Striplin show promise. It’s complicated, but at least Horston and Rickea appear to be playing well together.

Hope we get it all figured out before this game against Virginia Tech.

Last edited:
We’ve got a problem. If you look at the roster for the last 2 competitive games against UCLA and Gonzaga, you’ll see that in the UCLA game, we had 10 players get 11+ minutes each. Neither Rickea nor Horston shot well, going 2 for 9, and 5 of 17, respectively, playing 29 and 28 minutes.

This changed for the Gonzaga game. In that game, we had 6 players get 20+ minutes each. They were Horston, Rickea, Powell, Key, Franklin, and Walker. Tess got 15, Sara and Marta got 8 each, and Hollingshead got 4 minutes.

Horston and Rickea shot better, going 8 of 20, and 6 of 12. A problem was that Powell made 2 of 7 shots in 30 minutes, and Walker made 1 of 6 in 25 minutes. So, who subs for Powell? Do we let Horston play point, and add Sara? If we think adding Sara is going to help scoring, her numbers in all our games are: 0-1, 1-3, 0-0, 2-5, 1-5, 1-3, and 2-6. Apparently, she has expected to play less this year, and not being needed for scoring has taken her scoring edge. Her minutes played in the games are: 7, 9, 5, 12, 14, 16, and 12. She needs more minutes to get back in her scoring rhythm.

So, Kellie is going to go over all the stats, which is probably a mammoth job. In our last game against Eastern Kentucky in which everyone played, we saw 5 players score in double digits: Rickea, Horston, Key, Hollingshead, and Striplin. It was not tough competition, so do you give Hollingshead and Striplin more minutes?

We practiced on defense this week, and Tamari plays well against players more her size. Marta plays defense with a lot of energy. I’d like to see some of Walker minutes given to better shooters, whomever they may be. The best players are still Horston, Rickea, Key, and Franklin, and hopefully, Powell. Hollingshead and Striplin show promise. It’s complicated, but at least Horston and Rickea appear to be playing well together.

Which has been said if you take Horston and Rickea out of the game schematically or they have a bad night individually or collectively who’s going to take over?

Those benchmark games will be telling

Last edited:

I think you probably just cut Walker's minutes and add them to Powell or one of the other starters. I have been saying that the starters need to go over 150 minutes in the games like the one today. I would say as much as 160. I don't think you ever take Rickea and Jordan Horston out of a game like today at the same time. Just for today I would say Jordan Horston and Rickea Jackson 34 each today. Powell, Key, and Franklin are your next best three. Hollingshead, Darby Puckett, and Walker for backup minutes only to Powell. That is really everyone that needs to play today JMO but just want to win and anyone that gets to play needs to step up and make a difference.

This!! Walker does the little things and the dirty work you don’t always see on the stat sheet.

This!! Walker does the little things and the dirty work you don’t always see on the stat sheet.
Fully agree with the intangibles. Kellie sees something in her that this team needs. While the amount of minutes will drop because she isn't starting, that does not mean her contributions have to dwindle as well. She can be perplexing with her passing at times but she knows what everyone is supposed to be doing and that is helpful and, like already said, she is not afraid to mix it up. In the unlikely event her play becomes a liability, she will probably sit but I think she will get minutes until that happens. She came and stayed to help this team and that counts a lot for me even when she makes a bonehead turnover.

Reactions: luballer and lvocd

Hopefully they addressed the ball pressure on the opposing teams point guard this week. That has not been anywhere close to what it needs to be. There is much more than just scoring. If you let a guard come down and easily get their team into offense, then our opponents are going to continue to put up high numbers. Defense starts before our opponents offense starts and needs to be highly effective and tenacious to take opponents out of offensive rhythm

VN Store

Back