Tennessee Lady Vol News

For the public to value the league, the owners have to value their players:
the Atlanta Dream is worth $358 million . . . Total Salaries, $1,371,908 (0.38%)
the Atlanta Hawks are worth: 2 Billion . . . total salaries 146,689,507 (0.73%)
Both leagues play less than one percent of the team's worth, yet...

Yeah, uh ... where the heck did 358 million come from? That doesn't sound remotely reasonable. I strongly, strongly doubt the Atlanta Dream are worth 358 million dollars. The league's total revenue is around 60 million a year, and it's common knowledge they're losing between 5-10 million a year as a league. I don't know where that 358 million figure came from, but I don't think you're going to find anyone who would cut a check for 100 million for the Atlanta Dream, to say nothing of 358 million.

What is a WNBA Team Worth?

So just to speculate, the linked article above does a little armchair math on WNBA franchise values, and settles on a range between 17-35 million per franchise, with outliers possibly reaching as high as 65 million if circumstances are right. That's a much more reasonable number, all thing considered. Not that it really changes the calculus much, but that would mean that stat for the Atlanta Dream is around 2-3.5%.

If people really want to improve the WNBA's situation, I really, really think they need to look inward, rather than outward. And what I mean by that is, I think folks who want to grow the WNBA's brand should spend less time asking what's wrong with people - to say nothing of accusing or judging them - and start asking "what can we do with our product to get people more invested." I've felt this way forever. You can't win by saying "you should feel a responsibility to watch." You can win, however, by giving them something they want to watch. Just how it is. For everything.

Much better movement this game. Key was way more aggressive offensively and had some very nice buckets. The announcers had a discussion of how much better TK would be if she would only stop bringing the ball down and negating her height advantage. Ya think?

Puckett had a nice all round game. Nice passing by all.

These games are so fun! Reminds me of the millions of driveway bball games I played as a kid. Had to win by 2, and always played make it take it!

Does this work? There are ads also, btw

Edit: Tennessee wins 18-13. Kaiya passes really well, and Puckett plays great defense. Impressive.

Thanks for this link. I didn't see it until about a minute and a half left. At first, it show a couple of seconds then it was block about with a screen talking about what you needed to do to join twitch, so I was giving up and the game came back. What were other people's experiences?

Thanks for this link. I didn't see it until about a minute and a half left. At first, it show a couple of seconds then it was block about with a screen talking about what you needed to do to join twitch, so I was giving up and the game came back. What were other people's experiences?
This was my first time watching a twitch stream but other than some very long ads (that somehow got through multiple ad blockers) it was fine for me.

Reactions: LV renaissance
Ok, had to go find the game when site said waiting for game to start, so these are the stats I wrote down, starting when game tied at 6 apiece:

Key made 3 layups, missed 1.

Sara made 1 layup, 2 3 pointers, had 2 blocks, and tied the ball up at least twice.

Walker missed 3 layups, made 1 3 pointer, and turned the ball over while driving to the basket, once.

Wynn made 1 layup, missed 1 layup, missed 1 3 pointer, and turned the ball over while driving to the basket, once.

Beat UNC 18-13

Playing tomorrow according to brackets made from these early games.

GO LADY VOLS!

The lynx are so out of shape. Just pisses me off watching them knowing how good Rennia is.

Carlton is a brick layer and is absolutely sucking air.

Westbrook is still a joke.

Love seeing them get their butt kicked. The Sky are so fun to watch again. Great mix of young players and veteran talent.
Can’t wait for Candace to go back to back this season and ride off into the sunset 🥲🥲🥲🥲

Why don't more people watch WNBA games?

Ease of Access: Although more WNBA games than ever are being televised, sometimes trying to find the schedule and the stations is frustrating. The WNBA League Pass app has supposedly been improved, but many fans have found that the app is unreliable. Even Carolyn Peck tweeted that she was trying to use the app to watch Sparks vs. Sun, and the app wouldn't work. I went to NBA.com to stream the Sparks vs. Sun game as I was told it was available. I purchased a one-month pass. Excitedly, I clicked on the required links to stream the game, but it wouldn't work. To watch WNBA games, I have to subscribe to Amazon Prime, WNBA Season Pass, and ESPN. That's a lot of money. When I turn on the television, my local channels, on weekends during basketball season, inevitably an NBA game pops right up. When WNBA games are so easy to access, more people will watch..

IMHO, this is the single biggest part of the problem. It's difficult for existing WNBA fans to watch their favorite teams play. Making potential new fans jump through all these hoops to see a game is ludicrous.

There are 15 games next week. They're collectively being broadcast/streamed by...
YesApp
NESN+
Facebook
BallySports Southeast
CBS Sports Network
BallySports Southwest
Monumental Sports Network
MYLVTV
BallySportsArizona Extra
Spectrum Sports Net
Bally Sports North Extra
Amazon Prime
Marquee Sports Network
BallySports North
BallySports Southwest Extra
Twitter
BallySports South
Fox 13+
ABC
ESPN3.

Seriously? Most of those are regional networks that can't be accessed outside that area. More require a subscription or membership. Half the time you can't even figure out which network is showing a specific game (WNBA.com is frequently wrong), and then you can't figure out if you can actually get the game until tip-off. League Pass is another exercise in frustration due to the horrible quality of their stream and their abysmal customer service and support.

The league needs to figure out how to provide consistent access to current fans before they can deal with the issue of growing their fan base.

VN Store

Back