Tennessee Lady Vol News

Tamari Key looks to be in outstanding basketball shape.. playing against Jillian Hollingshead, Jasmine Franklin, and Karoline Striplin in practice will be great competition to improve her overall game.
Based on your terminology in an earlier post only likes can validate a post.you only have two likes on this post as I'm replying to it and some you dont get any does this mean your statements are false no it doesn't so when you posted you don't have enough likes in your earlier post to validate someone calling you out that was stupid if that's the case all your posts are irrelevant when you get just a couple of likes which it is not and it seems that you base how many likes a post get to be deemed credible which it doesn't

Based on your terminology in an earlier post only likes can validate a post.you only have two likes on this post as I'm replying to it and some you dont get any does this mean your statements are false no it doesn't so when you posted you don't have enough likes in your earlier post to validate someone calling you out that was stupid if that's the case all your posts are irrelevant when you get just a couple of likes which it is not and it seems that you base how many likes a post get to be deemed credible which it doesn't
Everytime I see some "nanny nanny boo boo I got more likes" bullsh*t, I think of the classic Black Mirror Ep called Nosedive. Starred Bryce Dallas Howard as a girl whose very existence was caught up in her star ratings and likes. Its Season 3, check it out. Biting social media commentary. Counting likes seems so middle school.

Yeah, uh ... where the heck did 358 million come from? That doesn't sound remotely reasonable. I strongly, strongly doubt the Atlanta Dream are worth 358 million dollars. The league's total revenue is around 60 million a year, and it's common knowledge they're losing between 5-10 million a year as a league. I don't know where that 358 million figure came from, but I don't think you're going to find anyone who would cut a check for 100 million for the Atlanta Dream, to say nothing of 358 million.

What is a WNBA Team Worth?

So just to speculate, the linked article above does a little armchair math on WNBA franchise values, and settles on a range between 17-35 million per franchise, with outliers possibly reaching as high as 65 million if circumstances are right. That's a much more reasonable number, all thing considered. Not that it really changes the calculus much, but that would mean that stat for the Atlanta Dream is around 2-3.5%.

If people really want to improve the WNBA's situation, I really, really think they need to look inward, rather than outward. And what I mean by that is, I think folks who want to grow the WNBA's brand should spend less time asking what's wrong with people - to say nothing of accusing or judging them - and start asking "what can we do with our product to get people more invested." I've felt this way forever. You can't win by saying "you should feel a responsibility to watch." You can win, however, by giving them something they want to watch. Just how it is. For everything.
1652581689979.png

Yeaaaah, I'm gonna go with the New York Times over a summary from a cursory Google search that uses results from an "AI" platform. (I say "AI" in quotes because it's a marketing buzzword).

Atlanta Dream Are Sold After Players’ Revolt Against Kelly Loeffler (Published 2021)

"While the sale price of the Dream was not disclosed, financial advisers in the sports industry say that W.N.B.A. teams typically sell for single-digit or low double-digit millions, a far cry from the $1.66 billion that the Utah Jazz of the N.B.A. were valued at in a recent sale. Most W.N.B.A. teams also lose money, a shortfall that must be covered annually by their owners."

That 358 million cannot be using any definition of "net worth" I've ever seen or heard of; at best it could be a very rosy valuation misrepresented as a net worth, but how a valuation could look at 20+ years of losses in the millions and come up with a valuation of 358 million is beyond me.

Last edited:
TN won their 5:30 game today in Red Bull. Good game. Next game I’ll write down what they do, but this is what I remember:

Key had a big block away from the basket, and was moving well on defense. She obviously can score under the basket.

The announcer said Sara had 3 3 pointers, but I thought I counted 4. She was also the one doing the talking to the rest of the team, I think she is a leader.

Walker got blocked on numerous drives to the basket, but got a layup near the end, and shot the winning 3 at the end of the game. I am not sure of her total 3’s in the game.

Wynn threw numerous wild shots at the basket missing most all. She did make one shot near the basket, and made one 3.

It was a good win, they’re playing more confidently.

I counted 4 too on the replay.

If anyone wants to watch the games, USA Basketball posts the replays on its Twitter page.

All you have to do is hold down on the video if you’re watching on your phone and press backward to scroll through the video.

UT vs Hoopers starts around the 1 hr 28 min mark

UT vs Unlimted - 9 hr 2 min

UT vs UNC - 12 hr 14 min

I mean if you gave me a team with Maya Moore, Rebekah Brunson, Sylvia fowles, and Lindsey Whalen I’d win 4 WNBA championships as well
Don't forget about Seimone Augustus. Reeve got lucky that Whalen wanted to go back home to Minnesota and Fowles wanted to front run and ring chase. One of the most overrated multiple championship winning coaches in professional sports.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I counted 4 too on the replay.

If anyone wants to watch the games, USA Basketball posts the replays on its Twitter page.

All you have to do is hold down on the video if you’re watching on your phone and press backward to scroll through the video.

UT vs Hoopers starts around the 1 hr 28 min mark

UT vs Unlimted - 9 hr 2 min

UT vs UNC - 12 hr 14 min

Nice to know it was 4. When he said 3, I thought how would you even know? They had been talking about other things, and toward the end of the game finally noticed the game was close, and a good game.

Thanks for the replay info, I’ll check that out. Big game against Stanford tomorrow.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Yeaaaah, I'm gonna go with the New York Times over a summary from a cursory Google search that uses results from an "AI" platform. (I say "AI" in quotes because it's a marketing buzzword).

Atlanta Dream Are Sold After Players’ Revolt Against Kelly Loeffler (Published 2021)

"While the sale price of the Dream was not disclosed, financial advisers in the sports industry say that W.N.B.A. teams typically sell for single-digit or low double-digit millions, a far cry from the $1.66 billion that the Utah Jazz of the N.B.A. were valued at in a recent sale. Most W.N.B.A. teams also lose money, a shortfall that must be covered annually by their owners."

That 358 million cannot be using any definition of "net worth" I've ever seen or heard of; at best it could be a very rosy valuation misrepresented as a net worth, but how a valuation could look at 20+ years of losses in the millions and come up with a valuation of 358 million is beyond me.

i did a search "Atlanta Dream Value" and google shot those numbers.
Not sure how they come up with that either, but there it was.
ohwell

Nice to know it was 4. When he said 3, I thought how would you even know? They had been talking about other things, and toward the end of the game finally noticed the game was close, and a good game.

Thanks for the replay info, I’ll check that out. Big game against Stanford tomorrow.
Yes, 4 indeed. Sara looked really strong. Gone was the Freshman hesitancy that sometimes slowed her down. Almost all of her made 3s were extremely quick and difficult shots, She will compete for a starting role as I think Kellie will be wanting to start someone who is a 3 point shooter but who also is an all around player.

Tamari has played excellent so far in this 3x3 competition. The speed of play is really really going to help her with her decision making and scoring next season.

She’s forced to make a really quick decision on score vs pass back out with the extra short shot clock. She has been dominating everyone in the paint. Still wish she would shoot the midrange more, but really glad to see her being so aggressive.

Wynn really, really needs to work on her layups, which was a problem all last season. I doubt she makes >20% of them. The coaches really need to straighten this out before fall.

Key played pretty well and looked like she had a much better feel for the game than she did on Friday.

Puckett and Walker just had a crap shooting day.

Wynn really, really needs to work on her layups, which was a problem all last season. I doubt she makes >20% of them. The coaches really need to straighten this out before fall.

Key played pretty well and looked like she had a much better feel for the game than she did on Friday.

Puckett and Walker just had a crap shooting day.
With credit to Wynn, being able to get to the rim and draw fouls is such an important skill, but if you can't finish and you can't hit free throws, it ends up becoming a liability.

In general, I thought we were pretty lax on rebounding. The girls looked winded after playing three games yesterday.

Businesses typically sell between 7-11*EBITDA dependent upon industry and anticipated growth.
Given WNBA team don’t have a lot of fixed assets to depreciate and have not been particularly profitable thus not a lot of taxes. Therefore the bottom line could be substituted for EBITDA. Another common estimate is 1*top line revenue. With those parameters a franchise with revenue of 30m and a bottom line of 2m might sell for between 20-30 million. Now let’s keep in mind a sports franchise is a vanity purchase so someone might be willing to go quite a bit higher. A purchaser might also believe they are getting in on the ground floor of the next big thing and pay an additional premium. Given all that maybe someone would go 100m. Paying a third of a billion for a franchise seems crazy to me but if you’ve got that much money to throw around for an owner’s box, have at it! Musk paid 44B for twitter 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂so……

Well, TN lost 17-14 to Stanford in the quarterfinals. Here’s what I wrote down:

Key made 9 layups, missed 2 layups, missed 1 foul shot, had 1 block that was called a foul.

Sara made 1 3 pointer (which is 2 points), made 1 outside shot (not a layup or 3 pt), missed 3 3 pointers, missed 2 outside (non 3 pt)-1 blocked, missed 1 layup.

Walker made 1 layup, missed 3 layups, missed 5 3 pointers (one was blocked), lost the ball going for a layup.

Wynn made 1 layup, missed 5 layups, missed 1 3 pointer, missed 1 outside shot (non 3 pt).

Key 9 points
Sara 3 points
Walker 1 point
Wynn 1 point

We missed 11 layups and 1 foul shot, and made only 1 from 3 point range. Maybe because of the 12 second shot clock it was harder for Walker and Wynn to kick the ball out to Sara. This type of play reinforces drive first, instead of pass to another for a better shot, which is not good for 5 player Team first basketball. While Wynn doesn’t need to learn to drive first, this practice may have helped Sara with dribbling to get to the basket and quicker 3 point shooting, and was good practice for Key to finish under the basket.

Still, we made it to the quarterfinals over a lot of teams. Good effort by all, lots of work to be done.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
Wynn is a player that could be a super player if she can develop an offensive game. She is an awesome defensive player and can get to the rim with ease. It makes no difference if you can't finish the play. I would tell her to get to work and she needs someone to coach and train her cause if she plans to play next season her offense has to improve dramatically. I was hoping she could get eight to 10 minutes a game next season, but with players like Horston, Jackson, and Franklin who all can get to the rim and finish the play going to be tough. I hope the player we seen this week is totally different offensively in November.

Interview with Jillian Hollingshead. Great kid, really happy to have her with the program and you can tell she'll embody the Lady Vols tradition for life. As an aside, much like Jasmine Powell, I get the impression she'd do well in sports broadcasting if she were interested. She just has a calm, unique speaking voice and poise.

With credit to Wynn, being able to get to the rim and draw fouls is such an important skill, but if you can't finish and you can't hit free throws, it ends up becoming a liability.

In general, I thought we were pretty lax on rebounding. The girls looked winded after playing three games yesterday.
She does need to start hitting layups, especially if she doesn't improve on hitting her free throws if we want to win close games.

VN Store

Back