Tennessee Lady Vol News

Tennessee won their second game today. The announcers kept saying it was the lowest scoring game they’ve seen so far. Key did well. We just struggle with shooting and finishing layups. I thought Wynn played better today than yesterday.

That 5th starter for the season will have to be someone who can knock down a consistent perimeter shot. Puckett doesn’t have a quick release.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Tennessee won their second game today. The announcers kept saying it was the lowest scoring game they’ve seen so far. Key did well. We just struggle with shooting and finishing layups. I thought Wynn played better today than yesterday.

That 5th starter for the season will have to be someone who can knock down a consistent perimeter shot. Puckett doesn’t have a quick release.
I am just almost certain that Key, Powell, Jackson, and Horston are four of the starters. Who joins this is the question mark. I think it could be Walker just to get another smaller player in there. I can see Darby and Pissott sharing minutes of whatever is allotted to those two. Puckett. Striplin, Suarez seem to be the same player in so many ways so which of those gets the time? Guess who improves the most over the summer. Puckett may have a slight edge, but it is still a tossup in my mind. The problem with those three is that we have Jillian Hollingshead and Franklin taking up those inside minutes. So a lot of options next season with some players getting a lot of bench time.

I am just almost certain that Key, Powell, Jackson, and Horston are four of the starters. Who joins this is the question mark. I think it could be Walker just to get another smaller player in there. I can see Darby and Pissott sharing minutes of whatever is allotted to those two. Puckett. Striplin, Suarez seem to be the same player in so many ways so which of those gets the time? Guess who improves the most over the summer. Puckett may have a slight edge, but it is still a tossup in my mind. The problem with those three is that we have Jillian Hollingshead and Franklin taking up those inside minutes. So a lot of options next season with some players getting a lot of bench time.

Does Edie have a consistent 3? I’m open to any and all players. We need to start recruiting pure shooters so Pissott is a good start.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The reality that no one wants to admit is that the WNBA is not a success because women don't support it. Period. See attached graphic where 83% of women surveyed said they are not a fan of the WNBA (compared to 74% of men) and only 17% considered themselves an avid or casual fan (compared to 26% of men). Let's take this in for a second. 83% of women surveyed don't support the WNBA. But somehow, it's the fault of men that the league is unsuccessful and the players can't swathe themselves in Gucci and LV like their male counterparts?

View attachment 455266

Interesting enough, the results for the women viewing the NBA were 30% avid/casual fans and 70% not interested (vs. 53%/47% split for men). Bottom line is if women turned out to support the WNBA the same way that men support the NBA, then it would be a booming success. Hell, even if women supported the WNBA as much as they support the NBA. But they don't/won't, and they also have no desire to point the finger at themselves where it belongs...so instead we get "SEXISM!" AND "GENDER PAY GAP!" and "PATRIARCHY!" ad nauseum.

Then maybe you should be asking other women why they don't support the WNBA, because they are the ones shouldering the greatest load of the diminishing that you speak of. Nah, I'm sure you'll just find a way to blame men again.
My hope for you is that one day you have a granddaughter who makes a lot of money as a stripper and you can proudly declare her success because she’s doing something men value as that seems to be your guidelines for worthiness.
I do have to self own that I am more than a little salty this week as to how our society values women and I have covid and it is no fun. I stand behind my point though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas
+
So basically your saying "if you show naked people on TV,people will look"?
Haven't you noticed what is streaming and on cable these days! I am not saying they should do this for WBB, but look around on music videos, advertisements, and all types of entertainment, and how often are the women scantily clad. I am not a prude and there is nothing wrong with sex appeal in general, but forever that was thought to be the primary appeal of women outside of homemaking. And with a fairly large portion of the male population, it still is despite the rhetoric that this has changed. An example outside of sports is country music radio. They did research that found that most of the male listeners weren't interested in hearing women artists, whereas women were interested in both male and female artists. The upshot is that only about 10% of the top 10 songs in country are by females despite the critical acclaim of many of the female artists. And I will guarantee that if you didn't doll up your look as a woman you are unlikely to be one of the 10% that gets played. They also found that females over 40 are generally not accepted whereas they will play the music of males over 40. Weaving this back to WBB, not just the WNBA but also NCAAWB, they are many men that just aren't going to follow it no matter how good or bad it is. It is what it is. Fortunately, there are a growing number women and men who are interested, which accounts for the improved tv ratings for the WNBA and the NCAAWB.

Reactions: Lucy
WNBA players are wonderful to watch. It's very American, though, to get pissed off at people who tell you that it's important to support women. Interestingly, my best make friends are athletes who respect and support women's athletics. This makes them very attractive. They aren't threatened by females and female athletes.

Why don't more people watch WNBA games?

Ease of Access: Although more WNBA games than ever are being televised, sometimes trying to find the schedule and the stations is frustrating. The WNBA League Pass app has supposedly been improved, but many fans have found that the app is unreliable. Even Carolyn Peck tweeted that she was trying to use the app to watch Sparks vs. Sun, and the app wouldn't work. I went to NBA.com to stream the Sparks vs. Sun game as I was told it was available. I purchased a one-month pass. Excitedly, I clicked on the required links to stream the game, but it wouldn't work. To watch WNBA games, I have to subscribe to Amazon Prime, WNBA Season Pass, and ESPN. That's a lot of money. When I turn on the television, my local channels, on weekends during basketball season, inevitably an NBA game pops right up. When WNBA games are so easy to access, more people will watch.

Patriarchy: Yep, it happens. I was amazed the first time I heard a man on an internet message board say that women's sports don't matter. And then noticing that so many men go out of their way to post this same message, regardless of sport. If they feel women's sports don't matter, then why do they pend so much time and energy spouting off about it? Why not just shut up and watch men's sports? Hmmmm....could it be that they don't value women....at all?

Life: So, many of my female friends are not sports fans....at all. The only time they go to sporting events is when their guys kind of pressure them to go. Or, they "watch" games on television as they are serving the men snacks. (Wow. Is it 1950?) Even if they weren't taking care of their men, though, they wouldn't be watching sports; they would be spending time on something they enjoy.

Some of my friends who do want to watch the WNBA can't because they are worn out from work and taking care of kids and taking care of the housework, grocery shopping, cooking, etc. Add that the games are not televised as much as the men's and women who would watch can't.

Fear: Believe it or not, some men admit that if others know they watch women's basketball that people will think they are gay. WHAT? This one kills me. My grandfather played basketball in high school and college, and he took me to meet Pat Summitt when the Lady Vols were playing games in Alumni Gym. He supported women's sports, especially the Lady Vols, through donations and encouraging the girls in my family to play sports. He took me to just about every Lady Vol basketball game, even away games, for 15 years. It would NEVER have crossed his mind that people would think he was gay because he watched women's basketball.

Women's Sports are Boring:
First, I never watch NBA games because they're boring. The rim has stayed the same height as the players have grown taller and can jump higher. Raise the rim so the game might be more challenging. Just about every NBA player can dunk, so ho hum who cares. Seen it before many times. But this is a subjective choice. Basketball started out as a non-contact sport, which is still should be. It's not entertaining to watch a bunch of huge men smack each other around.

Fans: According to Statista (2022), 35% of avid sports fans in America are male while 12% are female. 43% of casual sports fans are male and 42% are female. 22% of men are not sports fans and 46% of women are not sports fans at all. So, based on these percentages, men make up a significantly higher percentage of sports fans and if they don't like women's sports, then of course not as many people are watching women's sports.

This is a simple analysis. It goes much deeper. For myself, I enjoy watching women's sports and believe all athletes, like all people, are of equal worth. A message board doesn't allow a platform for discussing the intricacies of American economics.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
While that's true, that is also something that other secondary sports leagues have to deal with and charter flights are not an option for them either. WNBA needs to stop comparing themselves to NBA, NFL, MLB and what kind of perks they get. They should be comparing themselves to the G-League or XFL....probably the same kind of travel headaches, but they don't have the money to rectify it.

Didn’t the New York owners go out an find a company to offer charter flights FOR FREE for 5 years and the W turned it down? And their excuses for the denial were very questionable. That is poor management. Not the players fault. Should everyone here really be getting on the players?

the apathy on this board toward the WNBA is disheartening and a little bit shocking. From people who post nonstop about the lady Vols and celebrate the LVFL like they are part of their own family is sad.

If you didn’t watch the Sky in the playoffs last year with the now likely established GOAT in Candace Parker, then you missed some of the best basketball ever. The team play was artistry. Like watching an entire concert perform.

We have supported the W by going to games and then buying season tickets since 2006 when the Sky came to Chicago. We’ve taken tons of people with our spare tix and every one, even the total testosterone cousins have enjoyed themselves immensely. My brother and his friends created the W Fantasy league we are playing in. The product is good. No, it’s actually It’s tremendous. It just has to fight such terrible stigma. If you like college ball, then any game in the W features better athletes and better skill at the pinnacle of women’s basketball.

I get tired of hearing people complain that it’s not exciting. That’s misogynist BS. It is completely the male driven narrative in this culture that is not rooted in anything other than misogyny. As supporters of the LVs y’all should be wanting to tear down these horrible cultural norms that are so limiting and quite frankly tiring. They dont just do a disservice to these ladies, it dilutes the quality everyone’s life experiences as well.

Furthermore, the disparity in basketball and life for women is growing not shrinking. If these ladies want to raise their voices than more power to them. They aren’t just raising their voices for themselves they are doing it for all the oppressed. Furthermore, I think almost all of you would complain if your male counterpart in a job was making more than 100x what you did. Imagine making $1000 to do what the other skilled laborer did next door who was a male and earned $100k.

Often they struggle to hit half of, their free throws.

"Interestingly, my best make friends are athletes who respect and support women's athletics. This makes them very attractive."

"First, I never watch NBA games because they're boring."

"For myself, I enjoy watching women's sports and believe all athletes, like all people, are of equal worth."

It's interesting to me that you hold such an easy dismissal of men's professional basketball in one hand because "it's boring," but on the other hand talk about men who support women's athletics as being more attractive and then talk about everyone being of equal worth. Is there not some degree of dissonance to those stances?

I understand your desire to see improved support for the WNBA, but I don't think you've made a compelling analysis as much as you have tied some anecdotal observations with cursory statistical data. The last point about men being a much, much larger audience for consuming sports is probably the most relevant. People are allowed to like what they like. That's how it is. And I think understanding who likes and consumes sports content is a much stronger starting point for analysis, rather than claiming "fear" is an explanation for why men do not support the product. Or so on.

Reactions: StoVol

VN Store

Back