Tennessee Lady Vol News

Massey has our offense ranked 14th best in the country. Our defense on the other hand is ranked 43rd. So with every game hoping for defensive improvement. That is where we can get better the most.

if it is a culmination I agree, with the D we played earlier,,,nut if it is a reflection of recent games,,,no way

if it is a culmination I agree, with the D we played earlier,,,nut if it is a reflection of recent games,,,no way
Looks like to me still extending in a lot of the recent games. It is just that our offense is scoring more. Miss St 69 and only 51 vs SC. Vandy was way over their average points per game against us as well. Bama was about on average 74 scored 76. We need a defense that can hold teams 10 points below their average. That is a Championship defense.

Looks like to me still extending in a lot of the recent games. It is just that our offense is scoring more. Miss St 69 and only 51 vs SC. Vandy was way over their average points per game against us as well. Bama was about on average 74 scored 76. We need a defense that can hold teams 10 points below their average. That is a Championship defense.
Yeah, seems that the defensive deficiencies are being overshadowed by how efficient their offense has been. They did a nice job though against MSST's defense, which looked really stingy against SC the other day.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Points per game is not a great defensive metric because it does not account for the number of possessions or strength of schedule. For example, opponents are scoring an average of 66.2 points per game against us which ranks #207. This indicates terrible defense. But if you look at opponent points per 100 possessions, opponents average 89.1 against us which ranks #140 --- a bit better than average.

Well then, why does Her Hoop Stats give us the #13 defensive ranking overall? In short, it's strength of schedule. Our opponents actually average 100.2 points per 100 possessions. This is the #1 ranked Opponent Avg Points per 100 Possessions in the nation. In short, our defense has gone up against better offenses than any other defense in the nation, and adjusting for both pace and strength of schedule, our defense is actually really good.

Yeah, seems that the defensive deficiencies are being overshadowed by how efficient their offense has been. They did a nice job though against MSST's defense, which looked really stingy against SC the other day.
It's easier to compensate for suspect D with good O than vice versa. KJH said last week she thinks part of what causes them to ease up when ahead in the 4th qtr is bc they have so much more confidence that they can score now. Quite a turnaround, right? Thanks Ms Jackson.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
It's easier to compensate for suspect D with good O than vice versa. KJH said last week she thinks part of what causes them to ease up when ahead in the 4th qtr is bc they have so much more confidence that they can score now. Quite a turnaround, right? Thanks Ms Jackson.
That's basically the Maryland or Iowa strategy from past years. But when they run into that team that can also score and has a stingy defense, it can get ugly (Texas-MD in the NCAAT comes to mind).

View attachment 530317Tennessee women's basketball lost about two million last season. Overall all women's sports lost about 16 million.

Tennessee Football made close to 54 million and Tennessee men's basketball made close to 5 million for a total of 59 million profit from these two sports.

View attachment 530318

View attachment 530319

All other men's UT Sports operated at a loss with baseball being the largest at about 2.5 million.

So all sports at UT are fueled by the football program with the men's basketball program also being self supporting.

Creative accounting at its best. I Don’t ever believe it. I worked for the largest healthcare system I. The wealthiest suburbs in the North Sunirbs of Chicago. Most expensive zip codes in the Midwest in Kenworth and Winnetka. Allegedly, we never made a dime. Never got a raise more than cost of living. Somehow the hospitals managed to consume more and more property in the most expensive suburbs of Chicago. And the could constantly remodel hospitals that Cost over hundreds of millions of dollars.

Could be a hundred reasons they wanna skew this is JC this way. The least being they wanna make women ballers look bad.

Coach Harper was on Vol Calls said as she has been saying lately that the offense is doing great and defense needs a lot of improvement. She says that the place where we can get better the most is on defense.
Some of our best defenders are not great scorers. If Miles can find her stroke just a bit and Ave 6-8 pts, she could get significant minutes.

On defense, we clearly miss Key as an "eraser". But I think the strength of our opponent's offenses is also significant. By HHS ranking we have gone up against tougher opponent offenses than any team in the country.

As an example, Jordan Horstan is a terrific defender. This year her player defensive rating is 84.0; last year her player defensive rating was 75.6. Lower scores are better. Because one of the flaws of the player defensive rating is that it does not factor in the quality of your offensive opponent, I conclude that the quality of our offensive opponents is making our defense look worse than it is in reality.

That said I do think we could do a better job on our closeouts and keeping opponents out of the 10 foot area around the basket. I'd like to see more opponents settling for 15ft jumpers late in the shot clock.

On defense, we clearly miss Key as an "eraser". But I think the strength of our opponent's offenses is also significant. By HHS ranking we have gone up against tougher opponent offenses than any team in the country.

As an example, Jordan Horstan is a terrific defender. This year her player defensive rating is 84.0; last year her player defensive rating was 75.6. Lower scores are better. Because one of the flaws of the player defensive rating is that it does not factor in the quality of your offensive opponent, I conclude that the quality of our offensive opponents is making our defense look worse than it is in reality.

That said I do think we could do a better job on our closeouts and keeping opponents out of the 10 foot area around the basket. I'd like to see more opponents settling for 15ft jumpers late in the shot clock.
Yes looking to what we do at Texas A&M they need to score no more than sixty. My take is that we know how to play defense we just don't like go full blast with a big lead. We can do it to get the lead and we can do it when a team cuts a lead enough. We just can't seem to keep the intensity to reach that other level of giving them no hope.

I love Cora Hall. Finally a real reporter on the LV beat who askes actual good questions from an informed POV. Between her great work and KJH's ability to articulate so clearly, the pressers are actually informative. Great job Cora.

Along with Brian Rice, Cora is a high quality upgrade to LV world.

I love Cora Hall. Finally a real reporter on the LV beat who askes actual good questions from an informed POV. Between her great work and KJH's ability to articulate so clearly, the pressers are actually informative. Great job Cora.

Along with Brian Rice, Cora is a high quality upgrade to LV world.

If only she could get a question in edgewise with Maria around.

Still don’t care for her. Don’t care how much she loves the Lady Vols. She stirs up more crap t than anyone surrounding the program. She needs to take to her cars permanently.

VN Store

Back