Tennessee is NOT a good job

UT is a good job with good facilities and will pay a respectable salary. The fan base had a right to be concerned early in the season when the team was under performing. They proved they were capable the last ten games and in the tournament. Nothing happened that will prevent a coach from coming here if he has confidence in his ability to win.

It's toxic. No coach, even in a remotely good situation at his current job, and even in a smaller school/conference, will take this job right now.

Temper your expectations. And then lower them some more.

I'm not saying the standard should be lowered, but I'm at least expecting another Derek Dooley type hire--as in we are turned down by all the major prospects (Pitino, Smart, Howland, Miller, Marshall,...), then we are turned down by some smaller second tier names, and THEN we will hire someone no one has heard of from a a small mid-major.

Some of you need to gather your marbles that were lost years ago. Tennessee has a chance to be a GREAT job again, but it won't happen this time.

Temper your expectations. Then lower then again. This will prove to help with the VN meltdown when it plays out exactly as above.

I thought you were quoting from some self-absorbed, holier-than-thou, know-it-all, can't-play-so-I-write guy, then realized....

I agree. People just look at situations and make comments without doing their research. Pitino's resume is just short, and we cannot compare "sons" with Dooley for the rest of our lives. Some of them are actually good at what they do.

agreed - their Dad's both being famous are about the only things they share in common - and that is even a stretch

Vince landed Herschel - that is about the extent of his coaching genius

to put him on the same level as what Pitino is to basketball is ludicrous as well - importance of 3 point shot, using pressure to get turnovers and to control pace - success in the Pros and college - success at 3 different collegiate programs

he and Vince are in different stratospheres if you are comparing coaching minds

It's toxic. No coach, even in a remotely good situation at his current job, and even in a smaller school/conference, will take this job right now.

I'm not saying the standard should be lowered, but I'm at least expecting another Derek Dooley type hire--as in we are turned down by all the major prospects (Pitino, Smart, Howland, Miller, Marshall,...), then we are turned down by some smaller second tier names, and THEN we will hire someone no one has heard of from a a small mid-major.

Some of you need to gather your marbles that were lost years ago. Tennessee has a chance to be a GREAT job again, but it won't happen this time.

Temper your expectations. Then lower then again. This will prove to help with the VN meltdown when it plays out exactly as above.

Mr. DovVol, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Fans think this is a job that will generate a lot of interest, and they're right. We just don't capitalize on that interest because we refuse to spend the money to compete.

Or, said in another way, if we spent serious money, we would have MUCH more interest in the job.

I haven't followed UT basketball for as long as many others (20 years), but it is the same thing every time.

We may as well try to find a decent high school coach and HOPE they will take the head basketball coaching job at the very "toxic" University of Tennessee........

Great job. 4 sweet 16 trips in the last 8 years.

Defeatists with loser mentalities will tell you otherwise. Don't believe it. With the right coach, you can cut down the nets at UT.

This!
Not only with what we've done on the court the last 16 years (missed the post-season just 2 times in that period), but an arena that would make a lot of NBA teams envious, a state of the art practice facility, a great campus, an awesome fanbase (in spite of what some of the folks on this board say) etc etc!!

You mean like when we hired Bruce Pearl.who? After all the big names turned us down. lmfao at dumb sh--!

Last edited:
This was supposed to be the mantra last time. If UT doesn't do better this time than CCM then just stick a fork in us.

ZO won 63 games in three seasons w/1 sweet sixteen. I would bet we don't do much better if any and I will be LMAO!!!!!!! Check Tenn history books (those of you that wanted him gone) Besides Pearl nobody did that in their first 3 years and Pearl lied his way out here!

You mean like when we hired Bruce Pearl.who? After all the big names turned us down. lmfoa at ds!

Exactly. And Kiffin. And Dooley. And Butch.

25% success ration is what you're hanging your hat on?? In any business model, this wouldn't work. And any CEO running a company with this success rate would be out, no questions asked.

Fact is, Bruce turned out to be a Catch-22 for UT. Tennessee hired him as an, "up and comer," and it actually worked. However, now because of that, Tennessee continues to try to reproduce that--hence all the questionable hires trying to find that young coach that may pan out instead of a proven winner.

Admittedly, the situation at UT prevents many winners from dropping everything and coming now, but actually having Bruce work out as a no-name rising to success has proven to be a thorn that no one sees.

ZO won 63 games in three seasons w/1 sweet sixteen. I would bet we don't do much better if any and I will be LMAO!!!!!!! Check Tenn history books (those of you that wanted him gone) Besides Pearl nobody did that in their first 3 years and Pearl lied his way out here!

You're right..... that would be SOOOOOOO FUNNY if we do worse than we have the last 3 years...... said not true fan ever.....

Mr. DovVol, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

We have a winner.

You have to be a true fan to be a vol! If your a band wagon fan get another team! I will be all vol till I die! I'm not always happy but have no doubt I'm all Vol!

Exactly. And Kiffin. And Dooley. And Butch.

25% success ration is what you're hanging your hat on?? In any business model, this wouldn't work. And any CEO running a company with this success rate would be out, no questions asked.

Fact is, Bruce turned out to be a Catch-22 for UT. Tennessee hired him as an, "up and comer," and it actually worked. However, now because of that, Tennessee continues to try to reproduce that--hence all the questionable hires trying to find that young coach that may pan out instead of a proven winner.

Admittedly, the situation at UT prevents many winners from dropping everything and coming now, but actually having Bruce work out as a no-name rising to success has proven to be a thorn that no one sees.
Do you even know who hired who?
One thing about history. Just when you think you've figured it out and try to predict the future it changes. Especially in sports. Ever tried to pick a SB champion beginning of the season?

Accept it. The AD is cheap. We will never be as good as top tier programs until we realize it.

And the lulz continue.

I understand the whole 'not gonna be a homer at all costs' thing. But good God, I wonder if some of you (including the OP) are even fans of this program sometimes.

I honestly feel like I'm on a rivals forum and not the Vols' at least 70% of the time.

Reactions: 2 people
TN may not be an elite bball job, but it's definitely a big-boy job that should at least be grabbing the attention of, if not luring in some big-boy names.

Or, said in another way, if we spent serious money, we would have MUCH more interest in the job.

Not what I'm saying. Interest from coaches already assumes an appropriate contract, so offering more money wouldn't change interest THAT much. We'd still have Howland wanting to be here, and Bill Self saying no thanks. It would just mean that we could hire one of the better interested coaches, instead of one of the cheap ones.

To me, the interest in and quality of the job have nothing to do with money. It's a good job with plenty of interest, but money is a separate issue/obstacle. It seems like you and DocVol are trying to tie money in with the rest.

Witch Doctor say historically we have made bad hires..Pearl recently proved its a great job with great support. Make a great hire that wins and its Elite..now with Nike too!
Bones never lie.

VN Store

Back