Tennessee is NOT a good job

not sure i agree there - in 2 yrs as a head coach has 2 winning seasons and just won the NIT beating a really good SMU team coached by Larry Brown

his FIU team returned only 6 players (not 6 schollie players) and he led them to best conference record they have had - reached the conference title game and barely lost that

richard pitino is going to be an excellent college basketball coach

that is leaving out 2 successful asst gigs at Lville and Florida

this doesnt remind me of dooley at all

I agree. People just look at situations and make comments without doing their research. Pitino's resume is just short, and we cannot compare "sons" with Dooley for the rest of our lives. Some of them are actually good at what they do.

Reactions: 1 person
I bet you are a riot at parties. I don't necessarily expect a big name hire but look at who Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn, SC, Miami, etc. have hired recently. If you pay money in a large conference (to say nothing of our recent success and facilities) you can attract excellent candidates.

Also, if you could look into your crystal ball and enlighten as to precisely when UT fans lost our marbles "years ago" I would appreciate it. May explain some bets I have made.

I think the OP would agree that we could do well if we paid big money as the schools you suggested did. But, his premise is that it is not as good as job as we think based on the money that we will pay.

What are you reading cause that's not what I've read on Volquest.

Repeatedly, Rob Lewis has said he feels Hart would go over $2 million for the right hire.

He said Marshall hasn't even been contacted because they'd have to have at least $2.5m to make that call...if they haven't and don't plan on making that call what's it tell you?

I would be floored if Hart spends more than $2m

It sure does.

LATechSports.com Official Athletic Site

Be sure to read about what he did in his second year there, and the "what if" he hadn't had something like 22 injuries to depth chart players his third. Pedigree an all, Pitino sounds just like Dooley and Dooley like Petino, just different sports.

Dooley was in the Sun Belt. Pitino coached in the most difficult conference in the country and was on the bubble with a first year roster. Pitino has not had a losing season. I guess they must be alike since they are sons of hall of fame coaches.

Last time we didn't have a coach who just came off a Sweet 16 run who used Tennessee as stepping stone to get to a middle of the pack PAC 16 team.

So, there's that now in addition to the BP final year too.

If you think we are so hopeless at everything why do you spend your undoubtedly precious time trolling this board?

Reactions: 2 people
It's toxic. No coach, even in a remotely good situation at his current job, and even in a smaller school/conference, will take this job right now.

Temper your expectations. And then lower them some more.

I'm not saying the standard should be lowered, but I'm at least expecting another Derek Dooley type hire--as in we are turned down by all the major prospects (Pitino, Smart, Howland, Miller, Marshall,...), then we are turned down by some smaller second tier names, and THEN we will hire someone no one has heard of from a a small mid-major.

Some of you need to gather your marbles that were lost years ago. Tennessee has a chance to be a GREAT job again, but it won't happen this time.

Temper your expectations. Then lower then again. This will prove to help with the VN meltdown when it plays out exactly as above.

This is exactly the opposite of what the fans should do. We would be better off with fewer fans like you IMO.

You haven't either according to the record books

according to my eyes and ears, we have.

But in the meantime, lets all have a chuckle at the UT coaching search and bball program. The media and rest of America is laughing.

But in the meantime, lets all have a chuckle at the UT coaching search and bball program. The media and rest of America is laughing.

You sound like an Alabama fan claiming their 174 National Championships.

I think the OP would agree that we could do well if we paid big money as the schools you suggested did. But, his premise is that it is not as good as job as we think based on the money that we will pay.

Then it's not a "toxic" job, it's a job that doesn't pay enough.

Exactly this. And this is part of why it's toxic and no one will touch it.

How insulting is it to BE one of the premiere universities in the premiere conference with exceptional facilities and passionate fans.........only to watch the Admin shell out bottom tier money--WHEN THEY HAVE THE FUNDS TO SPEND AND WONT!

Tell me that wouldn't turn you off even on your 40-hr job as a Kroger cashier?!

I hope everyone is wrong about this. When we went after Kiffin, I felt we did what it took (yeah, I know. Different sport). We have been short on cash...but now, with the added 1.3 mil, and the Nike bonus money coming, you would think we are in a little bit different situation than we have been for a few years. Also, aren't our buyout payments just about over?

"We should never have ran Buzz off, he's a great man! We'll never get another good coach. The media and North Carolina's coaching tree will see to that!! Roy Williams done said we messed up!!!!"

Volunteer Chicken Little Club circa 2005.

Last edited:
Then it's not a "toxic" job, it's a job that doesn't pay enough.

I didn't use the word, "toxic." But, I do believe that some fans put the job in a better light than what it actually is. These jobs are just like markets- supply and demand. But, in order to create the demand, you need the money. Somehow our fans expect $3 million results on a $1.5 or less million salary.

OP give up....You are just preaching to the choir if you think you can change their minds!
images

Those of you who think the job is so bad and we're destined to get a no-name, then might I suggest you stop supporting then?

Nah ... full of pizz & vinegar but not true. The AD will hire as well as he can with the $$$ he has. But if he's turned down by the big boys he's NOT gonna offer the same to a mid major.

Want to help. Start a hiring bonus fund, get yer friends to sell thuh farm an donate thuh proceeds. Short of that, it's going to be a tough row to hoe this time of year. Money WILL talk, but with our budget problems, I doubt Hart can lure anyone but a mid major here, unless there's a significant signing bonus, contract duration, and buy out clause -- and THOSE are ONLY for the big time first choice--not a mid major.

Lol. Cheek would confiscate that quicker than a .... well really really quick. You are correct, Hart will hire the best he can for what they give him to spend. Problem is they won't give him much to spend.

Those of you who think the job is so bad and we're destined to get a no-name, then might I suggest you stop supporting then?

Just because someone thinks it isn't as lucrative for a good coach doesn't mean I won't support him. I always will. I would take the job if they offered it, but that doesn't mean it is a great job for someone who excels at coaching basketball. One doesn't necessarily relate to the other. I am passionate about my school, but I do believe other fans inflate the position for those who are experienced to take it.

"Look mommy, I almost made it to the finish line" said kittie. Before falling off her bike. "Next time we'll try it without the training wheels", her mom said.

I didn't use the word, "toxic." But, I do believe that some fans put the job in a better light than what it actually is. These jobs are just like markets- supply and demand. But, in order to create the demand, you need the money. Somehow our fans expect $3 million results on a $1.5 or less million salary.

Fans think this is a job that will generate a lot of interest, and they're right. We just don't capitalize on that interest because we refuse to spend the money to compete.

VN Store

Back