Tennessee is NOT a good job

What are you reading cause that's not what I've read on Volquest.

Repeatedly, Rob Lewis has said he feels Hart would go over $2 million for the right hire.

It depends on what they view as "the right hire." If they were only going to shell that out to Shaka Smart, then it is a joke. That is all very subjective. I will have to see it to believe it.

It's toxic. No coach, even in a remotely good situation at his current job, and even in a smaller school/conference, will take this job right now.

Temper your expectations. And then lower them some more.

I'm not saying the standard should be lowered, but I'm at least expecting another Derek Dooley type hire--as in we are turned down by all the major prospects (Pitino, Smart, Howland, Miller, Marshall,...), then we are turned down by some smaller second tier names, and THEN we will hire someone no one has heard of from a a small mid-major.

Some of you need to gather your marbles that were lost years ago. Tennessee has a chance to be a GREAT job again, but it won't happen this time.

Temper your expectations. Then lower then again. This will prove to help with the VN meltdown when it plays out exactly as above.

Tennessee IS a good job.

(1) Great facilities
(2) Almost all games are televised
(3) Great fan support.
(4) In the S.E.C. so qualifying for the NCAA is not particularily hard.

Tennessee is a bad job.

(1) Athletic Director is NOT dedicated to having a top program in basketball.

Reactions: 3 people
This job will probably suck next season, do to player losses.

But if your a coach with at least a little personality, and decent coaching ability, you could do great here, in a conference with really only 2 BBall teams!

And you don't have to be the next BP, just have a little BP flair and your gold! JMO.

Tennessee IS a good job.

(1) Great facilities
(2) Almost all games are televised
(3) Great fan support.
(4) In the S.E.C. so qualifying for the NCAA is not particularily hard.

Tennessee is a bad job.

(1) Athletic Director is NOT dedicated to having a top program in basketball.

The very CON you listed could cancel out 10 PROS.

Exactly my point--thank you.

It's toxic. No coach, even in a remotely good situation at his current job, and even in a smaller school/conference, will take this job right now.

I'm not saying the standard should be lowered, but I'm at least expecting another Derek Dooley type hire--as in we are turned down by all the major prospects (Pitino, Smart, Howland, Miller, Marshall,...), then we are turned down by some smaller second tier names, and THEN we will hire someone no one has heard of from a a small mid-major.

Some of you need to gather your marbles that were lost years ago. Tennessee has a chance to be a GREAT job again, but it won't happen this time.

Temper your expectations. Then lower then again. This will prove to help with the VN meltdown when it plays out exactly as above.

I think it's ironic that you count Pitino (I assume you mean Richard) as a major prospect but then say you don't want another Derek Dooley type hire...Richard Pitino would be the epitome of a Dooley hire.

Reactions: 7 people

This is ludacris. Tennessee has had some trouble based off of Kiffin and Pearl, and had some rocky years with sanctions and bad hires but this is far from a bad job. I will give you several reasons.

1. Tennessee is in the SEC, a power conference, and has the potential to be in the top 4 in the league every year.

2. Tennessee plays a good schedule that puts us in the big dance convo every year.

3. If the right coach comes and succeeds the money would be outstanding.

4. Attendance is incredible, Venue Remarkable, Budget out of this world. Facilities next-to-none.

5. The fan base can be unpredictable, but if you are successful, there is no better feeling than the love of the big orange nation. You shouldn't be in coaching of any capacity if you are sensitive to criticism.

6. Dave Hart and Jimmy Cheek have the money channels balancing back out. The academic support system is revived. Sanctions are disappearing and Tennessee is one hire in basketball away from being a stable program again. imo

Just some reason why it is foolish to say this job is toxic.

Reactions: 1 person
Most big time programs have an element of toxicity from time to time. What's happening here with stooooooopid ( went back and added even more "o's" -- because it was ... not gonna argue about it, it was and still is totally lame brain) petitions DURING THE SEASON and etc. just makes an observer gogglely-eyed.

However ... yes Tennessee bb is in the top of the nation among profitable programs, quality facilities, etc. Just now we ARE NOT in one of the best bb conferences and that's gonna take years to fix and commitment by fans of other schools.

We can lure a top coach here. Knoxville is a highly livable town but unless donors step up, it's going to take more $$$$$$$$$$ than our AD can currently afford. So look for a mid major up an comer, and hope he's the next Donavan, Pitino, Calipari, Pearl all rolled into one.

Yet, Jay Bilas said UT is a top 30 job and that's probably being conservative. So, in other words, I think he just said you're full of sh*t.

Tennessee job isn't bad one, analysts says

Hart isn't alone in thinking the adversity Martin encountered won't limit Tennessee's ability to find a quality replacement. ESPN analyst Jay Bilas called Tennessee a top-30 job and said "that's probably being conservative."

"It's got good facilities, good support," Bilas said. "It's in a great league, and they've won there. It's got all positives. It's certainly not a positive the way that Cuonzo was treated last season by a portion of the fan base, but it's not something that would cause a good candidate to say no. That's not enough."

Another Cuonzo hugger thread. Chicken Little reins.

As long as UT fans continue to support the program regardless of who's at the helm and regardless of results the UT AD has no motivation to do anything different than before. Why would he spend $2.5-$3mil on a coach when he can spend $1mil and still have decent attendance. Fans continue to lap up whatever bowl of crap they serve up and act like it's filet mignon. The AD has and will for the foreseeable future take advantage of the UT fanbase.

The BBall job at UT is just as good as the BBall job at any other FOOTBALL school, Fact!! :rock:

Back in the day when we built TBA we bragged Tennessee was a Football AND Basketball school.

That's what we need to make it again!

We are all laughing too, because we wouldn't even consider him lol

your coach just dumped you for Cal. Nothing says you're a "big time program" like your head coach bailing for a middle of the pack team in the Pac 12.

I wouldn't laugh at any school's coach if I were in your shoes.

your coach just dumped you for Cal. Nothing says you're a "big time program" like your head coach bailing for a middle of the pack team in the Pac 12.

Yet, we'll still laugh at Tiger High and the fact that you still have Pastner. LMAO. :eek:lol:

LOL. Be careful what you say. That is all.

Yeah, you're right. Laughing at a coach along with breaking a mirror might bring us seven years of bad luck.

Glad you trolled a UT board to set everybody straight.

Not nearly as bad as the OP is trying to make it out to be, but not as great as some think it is either.

And your pixx ant coach is afraid to play UT. Go figure.

VN Store

Back