Tennessee is back (relevant)

99gator

Congressman
First of all, because I can tell what some of you may be thinking.

For some, Tennessee isn't "back" until they win the East or beat their rivals.
For some, Tennessee isn't "back" until they win the SEC.
For some, Tennessee isn't "back" until they win the national championship
And for some, Tennessee isn't "back" until they win the Super Bowl.

I get all of that.

So, I will tell you how I define relevant. Relevant is you go and play the game and the opponent doesn't assume an automatic "W" before the game begins and has genuine shock and surprise at a loss. Opposing fans take you seriously, opposing teams take you seriously, opposing coaches take you seriously, etc.

I think Tennessee is at that point. And for me, one of the ways you know that is not like a South Carolina game from 2019. That was a team hitting on all cylinders and playing a great game. Of course, that's awesome. But, yesterday was more indicative. I don't think anyone would say Tennessee played "outstanding". I don't think anyone would say Tennessee "played over their head". It was a ho-hum, workmanlike, win where at no point in time was there ever a feeling that Tennessee might lose. Tennessee casually went out there and handled business. They weren't sky high. The opponent wasn't flat. The opponent did not gift wrap the game. Tennessee was just better across the board. It was like a card game where a player knew they had a winning hand and just laid the cards on the table.

So, now the question is.....how good are they? We'll see. I think Georgia and Alabama are the only two teams where it's hard for me to envision a Tennessee win. At least not against the Georgia team that showed up yesterday. Everyone else, they "could" beat or "should beat"

I will tell you (and it's another way to know Tennessee is relevant again), the staff is doing a good job of hiding JG. They've been able to do it because the rest of the team is now good enough to do it. The defense is getting stops and Tennessee is effectively running the football. So, they are limiting what they are asking JG to do and JG is delivering. No picks and hitting the occasional deep ball when getting 1:1 coverage down the sideline.

This is the best football team Tennessee has had in over a decade. Dobbs made his teams better than they were. This team is better across the board than Dobbs' teams were.

I get all of that.

So, I will tell you how I define relevant. Relevant is you go and play the game and the opponent doesn't assume an automatic "W" before the game begins and has genuine shock and surprise at a loss. Opposing fans take you seriously, opposing teams take you seriously, opposing coaches take you seriously, etc.

I think Tennessee is at that point. And for me, one of the ways you know that is not like a South Carolina game from 2019. That was a team hitting on all cylinders and playing a great game. Of course, that's awesome. But, yesterday was more indicative. I don't think anyone would say Tennessee played "outstanding". I don't think anyone would say Tennessee "played over their head". It was a ho-hum, workmanlike, win where at no point in time was there ever a feeling that Tennessee might lose. Tennessee casually went out there and handled business. They weren't sky high. The opponent wasn't flat. The opponent did not gift wrap the game. Tennessee was just better across the board. It was like a card game where a player knew they had a winning hand and just laid the cards on the table.

So, now the question is.....how good are they? We'll see. I think Georgia and Alabama are the only two teams where it's hard for me to envision a Tennessee win. At least not against the Georgia team that showed up yesterday. Everyone else, they "could" beat or "should beat"

I will tell you (and it's another way to know Tennessee is relevant again), the staff is doing a good job of hiding JG. They've been able to do it because the rest of the team is now good enough to do it. The defense is getting stops and Tennessee is effectively running the football. So, they are limiting what they are asking JG to do and JG is delivering. No picks and hitting the occasional deep ball when getting 1:1 coverage down the sideline.

This is the best football team Tennessee has had in over a decade. Dobbs made his teams better than they were. This team is better across the board than Dobbs' teams were.
I always knew I liked you

1601825655683.png

Stop trying to be a Volgator. It won't work.

Keep it up and we'll sic
1601825538226-png.311467
on you.

I get all of that.

That’s a nice sentiment, and I agree on the last point about if the QBs are taken out of consideration this is the best Vols team in the last decade (albeit, not a terribly high bar). I respectfully disagree about being “back”, though. I’d like to think we have higher standards than just not being an assured W. Count me in the camp of us being back once we at least win the division a couple of times or the conference

I get all of that.

I agree. If this team had Dobbs they’d be dangerous . Dobbs played behind a suspect line

Pretty good take.

Don't know that I agree with the last part just yet. Even tho that very well could end up being true.

Reactions: VolAllen
I would say 2016 was a better team if you exclude the coaching staffs. That team was loaded. Overall I agree with you though. The Georgia and Alabama fans may be overlooking us. But I think the players are dialing into the fact that they better come to play or they could very well lose to us.

I get all of that.

Good post and I agree that we are no longer an automatic w.This team is going to be very physical on both sides.We probably wont win them all but you will definitely feel it the next day after playing this team.

I get all of that.

Tell-Us-You-Love-Us-Mr.-Feeny-On-Boy-Meets-World.gif

I get all of that.

I just hope it is true that gators are cold blooded creatures.

Reactions: onevol74 and McDad
Even when UT was at their lowest they never got the benefit of being “overlooked.” I was always surprised that Bama still treated UT like it was the 90s Vols showing you.

That’s a nice sentiment, and I agree on the last point about if the QBs are taken out of consideration this is the best Vols team in the last decade (albeit, not a terribly high bar). I respectfully disagree about being “back”, though. I’d like to think we have higher standards than just not being an assured W. Count me in the camp of us being back once we at least win the division a couple of times or the conference

I get that. But, being ranked, legitimately ranked, is relevant.

At least for me it is.

It doesn't mean that is the ceiling of expectation for the program.

But, if you are ranked, no one can claim you aren't any good.

Does that make sense?

This upcoming game versus Georgia is the biggest opportunity for Tennessee to pounce back into national relevance in a long, long time. If Tennessee beats Georgia, December 5th will be for the SEC East and a trip to Atlanta for the winner.

It’s time for UT to beat Georgia!

Last edited:
I get that. But, being ranked, legitimately ranked, is relevant.

At least for me it is.

It doesn't mean that is the ceiling of expectation for the program.

But, if you are ranked, no one can claim you aren't any good.

Does that make sense?
I agree. But I don’t equate being “relevant” or having it so “no one can claim you aren’t any good” to being “back” for UT. I’m glad to be relevant and good, but I’d like us to be “back” to being elite (I say this as a 21 year old who can’t remember any season prior to 2008 :/ )

Reactions: 08Vol
This upcoming game versus Georgia is the biggest opportunity for Tennessee to pounce back into national relevance in a long, long time. If Tennessee beats Georgia, November 5th will be for the SEC East and a trip to Atlanta for the winner.

It’s time for UT to beat Georgia!
might want to check that date

Reactions: Jaws
@99gator, pretty fair accessment especially regarding JG however, I would suggest there are several reasons JG is playing better:

1. OL is finally up to SEC standards
2. 2nd year under the same OC
3. More speed in the WR room
4. A true 1 - 2 punch at RB with Chandler and Gray - Small has been a nice surprise as well
5. Improved mechanics.

All in all, UT has drastically improved with talent and coaching but most of all the team has learned how to WIN.

GBO - beat the Dawgs!

@99gator, pretty fair accessment especially regarding JG however, I would suggest there are several reasons JG is playing better:

1. OL is finally up to SEC standards
2. 2nd year under the same OC
3. More speed in the WR room
4. A true 1 - 2 punch at RB with Chandler and Gray - Small has been a nice surprise as well
5. Improved mechanics.

All in all, UT has drastically improved with talent and coaching but most of all the team has learned how to WIN.

GBO - beat the Dawgs!

All of that is true. #1 and #4 tied into the point I was making about the team around him. They have a legit running game right now.

Tennessee can have a drive end in a punt and it's ok. They other team isn't necessarily going to score.

JG can throw an incompletion on 1st and 10 and it's ok. We're getting 6 yards handing it off on 2nd and 10 and now have a manageable 3rd and 4. I can call deep routes because the QB isn't going to get killed trying to get the pass away. I'm not asking him to throw into the endzone down inside the 20 because we are owning the line of scrimmage and are able to run it in.

And I haven't seen too many penalties either. No holding calls on 1st and 10 that make it 1st and 20 and the drive is over before it starts.

JG can throw an incompletion on 1st and 10 and it's ok. We're getting 6 yards handing it off on 2nd and 10 and now have a manageable 3rd and 4. I can call deep routes because the QB isn't going to get killed trying to get the pass away. I'm not asking him to throw into the endzone down inside the 20 because we are owning the line of scrimmage and are able to run it in..

Gator???

Or Vol. ;)

I would say 2016 was a better team if you exclude the coaching staffs. That team was loaded. Overall I agree with you though. The Georgia and Alabama fans may be overlooking us. But I think the players are dialing into the fact that they better come to play or they could very well lose to us.
Team was loaded at the skill positions but not so much everywhere else.

VN Store

Back