Tennessee is back (relevant)

The "eye-test" is rapidly becoming more positive for me...and that started with the O-line. Even with JG at the helm we have the look of a competitive SEC team. Schematically we look better. I wholeheartedly believe last years team loses these first two games...probably badly. Progress is being made, and noticed by the media and competition. The Georgia game will tell us a lot.

We are back in the sense that we look like we should be in the SEC, rather than the SunBelt.

I can't agree. UT went back to back 9 win seasons, including beating both Florida and Georgia in the same year once... and won nothing. Many of us thought they were "back".
You have to get to a point where you say "ok, this program is here to stay" at at least winning their division (Saban kinda lowers the standards on conf title).
Sure they look the part. Sure we like the way Pruitt is doing things. But many of us also thought Butch's teams were looking the part, until we realized 80% of their success was Dobbs. We didn't quite so at the time.
Pruitt has to win back to back division titles for me to say this program is revelant. Even then, maybe not. Missouri did it and they're an irrelevant school. McElwain did it by luck. He was canned shortly after.
I guess it doesn't matter if I agree with you because it's your own perspective on relevance. However, there's no way in the world I want to be that team, and then still go 8-4 every year.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Not arguing that MSU is back. Arguing that Leach has a more impressive win than Pruitt and it only took his first try.

You can say what you want about LSU but LSU is going to be much better than 2018 Auburn. LSU will end up having a good year. They were just pantsed in the first week.
We'll see as season gors on. Well also see how well Leach fares week in and week out against SEC competition. St this point Id rather have Pruitt than Leach

Now that ive had time to sit back and think about this:

This is the norm for a gator fan to say year after year. They dont really mean it they just put feel good posts out there

Tennessee is still ranked purely on speculations/expectations. They haven't proved a darn thing yet. The bare minimum for Tennessee to be considered "back" or "relevant" is beating a major rival (UF/Bama/UGA) and having "direct line-of-sight" to an SEC title. They don't have to win a title, but they have to be being talked about as a contender for the title week in and week out to be "back". To this point Pruitt hasn't got us there and it needs to happen.

Mike Leach already has a better win than Pruitt and it took him just one week LOL and he did it with a team that UT beat last year. Mississippi State isn't that good, but they are "relevant" because they got a huge win. A win that eludes Tennessee so far. Georgia will be the FIRST chance for UT to get a big win.

Until UT reaches up and beats a team they aren't "supposed to beat" then they aren't back.
You are an embarrassment. Take that bag off the General and under no circumstances are you to procreate.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Tennessee is still ranked purely on speculations/expectations. They haven't proved a darn thing yet. The bare minimum for Tennessee to be considered "back" or "relevant" is beating a major rival (UF/Bama/UGA) and having "direct line-of-sight" to an SEC title. They don't have to win a title, but they have to be being talked about as a contender for the title week in and week out to be "back". To this point Pruitt hasn't got us there and it needs to happen.

Mike Leach already has a better win than Pruitt and it took him just one week LOL and he did it with a team that UT beat last year. Mississippi State isn't that good, but they are "relevant" because they got a huge win. A win that eludes Tennessee so far. Georgia will be the FIRST chance for UT to get a big win.

Until UT reaches up and beats a team they aren't "supposed to beat" then they aren't back.

Surely to god you werent the one to put the bag on the greatest coach to ever step foot on a field...

I LOVE the Vols, always have always will.....no matter what.

However Tennessee certainly isn’t “back” yet. They may be by the end of the season.....but no one “should” say Tennessee is back before it actually happens.

I mean come on. Tennessee has to start beating some teams they shouldn’t, leading to beating “other” really good teams.....all while not losing to teams they shouldn’t (this should happen rarely...not consistently), win bowl games, be ranked throughout the season or multiple.....so on and so on.

Tennessee finished strong last year. They have since picked up where they left off.....but to be “back” they have to keep it going.....it simply can’t be 7 wins vs decent to poor teams.

Hey it shows their winning, their growing, their improving (as a program) and I’m happy about
that.

As much As I want to see Tennessee „back“, I have lost track of the number of threads entitled „Tennessee is Back“ since 2005. not a negavol, but I refuse to use the phrase until we consistently win at least one of the big three each every year and certainly when we win 2 of the 3. The King had to earn the crown on the field of battle. Now let’s go out and finally reclaim what is ours darn it!!!!!

VN Store

Back