Tennessee is back (relevant)

This upcoming game versus Georgia is the biggest opportunity for Tennessee to pounce back into national relevance in a long, long time. If Tennessee beats Georgia, December 5th will be for the SEC East and a trip to Atlanta for the winner.

It’s time for UT to beat Georgia!

There’s a ton of football to be played between now and then. I’m not taking any game for granted.

Reactions: Jaws
Don't underestimate just how good that Georgia defense is.
I agree on UGA, but from what I have seen so far, UF’s offense scares me. They can score at will. Kinda surprising that the D is the weak part of UF right now.

And I am not sure how good Auburn is right now. So cannot really give UGA a true evaluation. But everything in my body tells me UGA woke up and flexing their muscle.

This upcoming game versus Georgia is the biggest opportunity for Tennessee to pounce back into national relevance in a long, long time. If Tennessee beats Georgia, December 5th will be for the SEC East and a trip to Atlanta for the winner.

It’s time for UT to beat Georgia!
UT will still have 5 SEC games before UF if UT beats UGA. I wouldn't believe it until it happens 😁😂😂. We couldn't lose to lesser teams (see 2016 UT) and still make the conference championship. Hopefully the last game is to see who reps the East as it would play into UTs favor this year with it being cold to hopefully make it more difficult for UF to throw and catch, plus a home game for UT. And for some reason, UTs history the last decade to play its best ball at the end of the year while UFs teams (from what I remember) that were mediocre, folded at the end of the year. Schedule does have a lot to play into that last one too though.

UT will still have 5 SEC games before UF if UT beats UGA. I wouldn't believe it until it happens 😁😂😂. We couldn't lose to lesser teams (see 2016 UT) and still make the conference championship. Hopefully the last game is to see who reps the East as it would play into UTs favor this year with it being cold to hopefully make it more difficult for UF to throw and catch, plus a home game for UT. And for some reason, UTs history the last decade to play its best ball at the end of the year while UFs teams (from what I remember) that were mediocre, folded at the end of the year. Schedule does have a lot to play into that last one too though.

There’s been no end of year folding at UF since Mullen has been on the scene. He’s murdered FSU and won major Bowl games to close the year.

My larger point is, if UT beats Georgia, they can beat anyone on their schedule. I need to see that this Saturday.

Reactions: ZippyMorocco
I would say 2016 was a better team if you exclude the coaching staffs. That team was loaded. Overall I agree with you though. The Georgia and Alabama fans may be overlooking us. But I think the players are dialing into the fact that they better come to play or they could very well lose to us.
The difference is the offensive line. 2016 had better skill players on offense, but a suspect offensive line. Pruitt has built from the trenches (like we used to play) and it makes a bigger difference.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
The difference is the offensive line. 2016 had better skill players on offense, but a suspect offensive line. Pruitt has built from the trenches (like we used to play) and it makes a bigger difference.
Yeah, our OL this year is way better. Would love to have Barnett, JR-M, Tuttle, and Sutton to add to our D this year though!

First of all, because I can tell what some of you may be thinking.

For some, Tennessee isn't "back" until they win the East or beat their rivals.
For some, Tennessee isn't "back" until they win the SEC.
For some, Tennessee isn't "back" until they win the national championship
And for some, Tennessee isn't "back" until they win the Super Bowl.

I get all of that.

So, I will tell you how I define relevant. Relevant is you go and play the game and the opponent doesn't assume an automatic "W" before the game begins and has genuine shock and surprise at a loss. Opposing fans take you seriously, opposing teams take you seriously, opposing coaches take you seriously, etc.

I think Tennessee is at that point. And for me, one of the ways you know that is not like a South Carolina game from 2019. That was a team hitting on all cylinders and playing a great game. Of course, that's awesome. But, yesterday was more indicative. I don't think anyone would say Tennessee played "outstanding". I don't think anyone would say Tennessee "played over their head". It was a ho-hum, workmanlike, win where at no point in time was there ever a feeling that Tennessee might lose. Tennessee casually went out there and handled business. They weren't sky high. The opponent wasn't flat. The opponent did not gift wrap the game. Tennessee was just better across the board. It was like a card game where a player knew they had a winning hand and just laid the cards on the table.

So, now the question is.....how good are they? We'll see. I think Georgia and Alabama are the only two teams where it's hard for me to envision a Tennessee win. At least not against the Georgia team that showed up yesterday. Everyone else, they "could" beat or "should beat"

I will tell you (and it's another way to know Tennessee is relevant again), the staff is doing a good job of hiding JG. They've been able to do it because the rest of the team is now good enough to do it. The defense is getting stops and Tennessee is effectively running the football. So, they are limiting what they are asking JG to do and JG is delivering. No picks and hitting the occasional deep ball when getting 1:1 coverage down the sideline.

This is the best football team Tennessee has had in over a decade. Dobbs made his teams better than they were. This team is better across the board than Dobbs' teams were.

I like it...and I agree.

All I've ever asked is to beat the teams we are supposed to beat, then show up and make a respectable accounting for yourself the rest of the time. I've never been a huge Pruitt fan, but he has quickly put us on the course of playing tough, physical football, with SEC caliber recruits. I hope to see the upward trend continue. I've always used the later Majors years as a benchmark. They wouldn't always win, but nobody wanted to play them, and frequently came away battered from the experience. I think that same mentality is being fostered by this staff...Pruitt specifically.

Realistically we have two beat 2 of our 3 rivals yearly to be seriously in the conversation for the East. The East is all I ask for, because that puts you in place for the next step. I would not have thought it prior to this season starting...but I am beginning to feel that we have a legitimate chance of being in that conversation late into the season. This all-conference schedule is unpredictable for the entire SEC, as we have seen. Saturday will tell us a lot. We'll be a lot more than relevant should we beat Georgia.

Whether Tennessee is back or not should not deter any fan from booking a ticket to the playoffs or jumping off the Henley Street bridge. It's one game against a top 5 team. Let's just keep it in perspective. The boys in O/W are capable, but not guaranteed. It's a long way to the end.

Reactions: FïreBall
Tennessee is still ranked purely on speculations/expectations. They haven't proved a darn thing yet. The bare minimum for Tennessee to be considered "back" or "relevant" is beating a major rival (UF/Bama/UGA) and having "direct line-of-sight" to an SEC title. They don't have to win a title, but they have to be being talked about as a contender for the title week in and week out to be "back". To this point Pruitt hasn't got us there and it needs to happen.

Mike Leach already has a better win than Pruitt and it took him just one week LOL and he did it with a team that UT beat last year. Mississippi State isn't that good, but they are "relevant" because they got a huge win. A win that eludes Tennessee so far. Georgia will be the FIRST chance for UT to get a big win.

Until UT reaches up and beats a team they aren't "supposed to beat" then they aren't back.

All of that is true. #1 and #4 tied into the point I was making about the team around him. They have a legit running game right now.

Tennessee can have a drive end in a punt and it's ok. They other team isn't necessarily going to score.

JG can throw an incompletion on 1st and 10 and it's ok. We're getting 6 yards handing it off on 2nd and 10 and now have a manageable 3rd and 4. I can call deep routes because the QB isn't going to get killed trying to get the pass away. I'm not asking him to throw into the endzone down inside the 20 because we are owning the line of scrimmage and are able to run it in.

And I haven't seen too many penalties either. No holding calls on 1st and 10 that make it 1st and 20 and the drive is over before it starts.
JG is running more than he seemed to do in the past few years. Quasi-DT QB can be helpful.

I get all of that.

So, I will tell you how I define relevant. Relevant is you go and play the game and the opponent doesn't assume an automatic "W" before the game begins and has genuine shock and surprise at a loss. Opposing fans take you seriously, opposing teams take you seriously, opposing coaches take you seriously, etc.

I think Tennessee is at that point. And for me, one of the ways you know that is not like a South Carolina game from 2019. That was a team hitting on all cylinders and playing a great game. Of course, that's awesome. But, yesterday was more indicative. I don't think anyone would say Tennessee played "outstanding". I don't think anyone would say Tennessee "played over their head". It was a ho-hum, workmanlike, win where at no point in time was there ever a feeling that Tennessee might lose. Tennessee casually went out there and handled business. They weren't sky high. The opponent wasn't flat. The opponent did not gift wrap the game. Tennessee was just better across the board. It was like a card game where a player knew they had a winning hand and just laid the cards on the table.

So, now the question is.....how good are they? We'll see. I think Georgia and Alabama are the only two teams where it's hard for me to envision a Tennessee win. At least not against the Georgia team that showed up yesterday. Everyone else, they "could" beat or "should beat"

I will tell you (and it's another way to know Tennessee is relevant again), the staff is doing a good job of hiding JG. They've been able to do it because the rest of the team is now good enough to do it. The defense is getting stops and Tennessee is effectively running the football. So, they are limiting what they are asking JG to do and JG is delivering. No picks and hitting the occasional deep ball when getting 1:1 coverage down the sideline.

This is the best football team Tennessee has had in over a decade. Dobbs made his teams better than they were. This team is better across the board than Dobbs' teams were.
Im doing my celebrating and bragging about this team now, while I can, just in case. If the unexpected happens and we beat GA, then Ill celebrate and brag even harder. if not, then Ive had my fun enjoying two consecutive SEC wins, highest poll ranking in four years, and longest win streak in Power 5. They cant take any of that away from me. For at least another five days, its good to be a Tennessee Vol. Yeehaw!

Tennessee is still ranked purely on speculations/expectations. They haven't proved a darn thing yet. The bare minimum for Tennessee to be considered "back" or "relevant" is beating a major rival (UF/Bama/UGA) and having "direct line-of-sight" to an SEC title. They don't have to win a title, but they have to be being talked about as a contender for the title week in and week out to be "back". To this point Pruitt hasn't got us there and it needs to happen.

Mike Leach already has a better win than Pruitt and it took him just one week LOL and he did it with a team that UT beat last year. Mississippi State isn't that good, but they are "relevant" because they got a huge win. A win that eludes Tennessee so far. Georgia will be the FIRST chance for UT to get a big win.

Until UT reaches up and beats a team they aren't "supposed to beat" then they aren't back.
MSU ain't back when they get shut down by Arkansas. LSU win was no bigger than Pruitts first season defeat of Auburn. So far 2020 LSU hasnt beaten anybody but Vandy.

MSU ain't back when they get shut down by Arkansas. LSU win was no bigger than Pruitts first season defeat of Auburn. So far 2020 LSU hasnt beaten anybody but Vandy.

Not arguing that MSU is back. Arguing that Leach has a more impressive win than Pruitt and it only took his first try.

You can say what you want about LSU but LSU is going to be much better than 2018 Auburn. LSU will end up having a good year. They were just pantsed in the first week.

For me we will be back once we beat one of the big three and it's no longer called the big three it's called the big 4 and we are one of the big 4. We need to keep games winnable against georgia , Bama and Florida

I agree our Vols are coming around. Our Volnation is gaining confidence as well as our Vols are learning how too win again. We now have 8 in a row. The best in the SEC. The experienced guys we have, are teaching the young guys. The winning gets in their blood. They no other but too win but thats what they have learned. They living this and this is what they know and desire. Its a must to win. Thats all they know. We win and win. We are back the guys are loving it and they are hungry and feeding off each other as well as Volnation. We are back with confidence and the willing too win. Thats all we know is too Win. We don't accept defeat. Im riding with Volnation confidence. Im riding with our players a they have gained tremendous Confidence . We are climbing back too be the elite program we all one new. Welcome back the SLEEPING GIANT HAS WOKE UP. YOU WANT SOME COME GET SOME. THE VOLS ARE BACK! IM PUMPED UP FOR OUR TEAM AND BUILDING AGAIN. THE SEC KNOWS UT IS BACK. WE BEAT GEORGIA THIS WEEK. I KNOW I TALK TOO MUCH VOLNATION. I LOVE YOU GUYS AND I LOVE ME SOME TENNESSEE *** KICKING FOOTBALL!

I agree our Vols are coming around. Our Volnation is gaining confidence as well as our Vols are learning how too win again. We now have 8 in a row. The best in the SEC. The experienced guys we have, are teaching the young guys. The winning gets in their blood. They no other but too win but thats what they have learned. They living this and this is what they know and desire. Its a must to win. Thats all they know. We win and win. We are back the guys are loving it and they are hungry and feeding off each other as well as Volnation. We are back with confidence and the willing too win. Thats all we know is too Win. We don't accept defeat. Im riding with Volnation confidence. Im riding with our players a they have gained tremendous Confidence . We are climbing back too be the elite program we all one new. Welcome back the SLEEPING GIANT HAS WOKE UP. YOU WANT SOME COME GET SOME. THE VOLS ARE BACK! IM PUMPED UP FOR OUR TEAM AND BUILDING AGAIN. THE SEC KNOWS UT IS BACK. WE BEAT GEORGIA THIS WEEK. I KNOW I TALK TOO MUCH VOLNATION. I LOVE YOU GUYS AND I LOVE ME SOME TENNESSEE *** KICKING FOOTBALL!
Thanks dude im pumped bro

First step first. I will consider this year significantly successful by beating A&M and Auburn. Beat Ga, FL, or Bama and then its extremely successful.

The running joke among the nation is that Tennessee fans have been saying we are back pretty much every year since 2007. So I don’t/won’t say that. I think we can run the ball and have a decent defense, And when you can run the ball you can control the clock. Puts you in a position to win almost any game if done effectively and that’s what Pruitt is still building towards, much of this comes from the Phillip Fulmer mentality.

Just to play a little antagonist here, mizzou was about 30 yards away from making it a one score game, our offense was cold, and their backup qb was throwing dimes. If not for Theo Jackson pick, we may had been in a dog fight until the last second. So as a big orange fan, I didn’t feel like we dominated or even had the game sealed until that pick and next td.

I get all of that.

Thanks for the kind post. I'd agree with this. At this point, I'd rank Tennessee as the 4th best team in the SEC. Is that the goal? No. The goal is to win it. But being the 4th best team in the SEC means you're one of the 10-15 best teams in America. Given what Tennessee has been for the last decade, that's saying something. Further, it means we're in now in position, in any given year, to jump up and be the best team in the SEC. Like how LSU was always among the top teams every year, then finally put it together last year.

After what I've seen of this season, I expect 7-3. Losses to Alabama, Georgia, and Florida, but wins over Auburn and aTm...as well as everyone else. Beating Bama or Georgia would be epic upsets and beating Florida, while possible, would also be a mild upset.

Lol mississippi state isn’t relevant

VN Store

Back