Tennessee Football Spring Preview: Quarterbacks

If JG plyas this year we’ll have a decent 2020 and 2021 season. If HB starts this year we’ll have a decent 2020 and great 2021.

I think it is a pretty easy call.

Reactions: vols 30
Maurer PLAYED...never started and finished a game. Shrout started a game and got in some snaps...even threw a TD pass. That “managing the run game” aspect is what got JG back on the field, so if they’re AHEAD...it ain’t by enough. Bailey’s played against elite competition since he was in the 8th grade and much of that had SPEED. I just don’t see this insurmountable learning curve that’s being inferred. Interesting you bring up the EARLY Bama QB model. Pruitt was there when they tossed that model out the window and went with Hurts until the second half of a NC game before giving it up to another true freshman...bowed to inevitability. As for Lawrence, Swinney exhibited a tad of loyalty starting Bryant but it was hardly PRODUCTION based. Lawrence clearly outperformed him in those early games and Bryant had that grad transfer exit plan already prepared and ready.
You’re vesting yourself in Bailey. That’s fine. I just need to see him perform even in practice before believing he’s ahead of the others or even has the ability to read coverage so much better than the others that he separates.

I’ll be happy if he does. I just want better than we’ve seen for the last three years. The one I’m most sure can’t do that is JG.

You’re vesting yourself in Bailey. That’s fine. I just need to see him perform even in practice before believing he’s ahead of the others or even has the ability to read coverage so much better than the others that he separates.

I’ll be happy if he does. I just want better than we’ve seen for the last three years. The one I’m most sure can’t do that is JG.
No I’m not...you’re misinterpreting. Haven’t STATED anything...just not as hasty to preclude possibilities. The kids are better FASTER these days.

Reactions: Behr and Remy
No I’m not...you’re misinterpreting. Haven’t STATED anything...just not as hasty to preclude possibilities. The kids are better FASTER these days.
Well, maybe you misinterpreted. I didn't say he couldn't. I just have my doubts. Most Fr aren't ready when they arrive even if they're the best passer. Maybe I also have a little more respect for the talent of the other two also.

JG came in with a lot of hype too. He just really became an effective manager of the offense late last fall. I don't expect high school greatness to automatically translate to college readiness. I also take into account that Bailey had some dominant receivers playing around him in HS also. Opposing DB's will be more evenly matched vs UT's receivers.

Well, maybe you misinterpreted. I didn't say he couldn't. I just have my doubts. Most Fr aren't ready when they arrive even if they're the best passer. Maybe I also have a little more respect for the talent of the other two also.

JG came in with a lot of hype too. He just really became an effective manager of the offense late last fall. I don't expect high school greatness to automatically translate to college readiness. I also take into account that Bailey had some dominant receivers playing around him in HS also. Opposing DB's will be more evenly matched vs UT's receivers.
And you misinterpreted by inferring that I stated that you stated that he couldn’t. We could do this all day. We disagree on the percentage of possibilities. I keep hearing this refrain that Bailey getting the ball to his weapons is concerning. Kinda what we want out of our QB...right? Burrow got better from his junior to his senior campaign and he didn’t accomplish that by focusing on his less talented targets.

Last edited:
And you misinterpreted by inferring that I stated that you stated that he couldn’t. We could do this all day. We disagree on the percentage of possibilities.
Which is pretty much what I said when I said you were vesting yourself in him.... and that's fine. It isn't a "bad" opinion... just not one I share at this point. My greatest hope is that UT gets better QB play than it has since JG took over.

I keep hearing this refrain that Bailey getting the ball to his weapons is concerning. Kinda what we want out of our QB...right? Burrow got better from his junior to his senior campaign and he didn’t accomplish that by focusing on his less talented targets.
I'm not saying can't or won't. I'm just not setting expectations that high. I also won't call him a bust if he doesn't start as a Fr or even 2nd year guy. He has talent. How or how soon that translates to him being the best option is something that leaves me with doubts.

Reactions: KBVol
Which is pretty much what I said when I said you were vesting yourself in him.... and that's fine. It isn't a "bad" opinion... just not one I share at this point. My greatest hope is that UT gets better QB play than it has since JG took over.

I'm not saying can't or won't. I'm just not setting expectations that high. I also won't call him a bust if he doesn't start as a Fr or even 2nd year guy. He has talent. How or how soon that translates to him being the best option is something that leaves me with doubts.
Vesting infers that I have a personal inVESTment in him winning the job. No way that jibes with the bolded you chose to reference. It’s not me being a fanboy to acknowledge that true freshmen being ready is no Herculean feat. I’m a different sheriff than K-Town...best use a different strategy.

Reactions: MiramarVol
Probably the most challenging preview of the preseason. We know what JG does and does not bring to the game. Even those of us who have wanted him to move on have always wanted to eat crow in hopes he has a revelation and plays up to expectations. I'm really not sure what to expect, but I'm hoping either JG somehow flips that switch with his second year under CJC, or he is benched early if he continues to show the same weaknesses as he has. Thoughts? Go Vols!

Tennessee Football Spring Preview: Quarterbacks

Stability. It’s been four years since that word could accurately be used to describe the quarterback situation at the University of Tennessee. Back then Joshua Dobbs, when he wasn’t launching rockets into outer space, was launching touchdowns into the checkerboards. And when he wasn’t launching them, he was running for them. Since 2016, though, the quarterback position — and many of the pieces around it — has been in flux.

Fortunately, as we head into year three of the Jeremy Pruitt era the turbulent waters seem to have calmed somewhat around this crucial position. Jim Chaney returns as play-caller, marking the first time since the aforementioned 2016 season that Tennessee has retained it’s offensive coordinator from one season to the next. Further, Tennessee returns four quarterbacks from the previous year’s roster, all with notable playing experience. Joining that group will be two exceptionally talented yet stylistically dissimilar freshmen who hope to push for playing time.

Here is who the Vols will have at quarterback heading into the important 2020 season.

Returning Players
Jarrett Guarantano
2019 Stats: 152-257 / 59.1% completion / 2,158-yards passing / 16 TD’s / 8 INT’s / 54-yards rushing / 0 rushing TD’s

‘Unfinished business.’ Those are the words Guarantano used to announce his return to Tennessee for his senior season, and they’re certainly fitting. I think even he would admit that his career to this point has left much to be desired from a production standpoint. But, he hasn’t exactly had a fair shake with the coaching turnover he’s faced. Many will claim that the Vols already know what Guarantano will give them at the position, but in my opinion this is unfair. He’s faced turnover across the coaching staff. He’s faced turnover across the offensive line. He’s faced turnover with offensive scheme. Taking on all of that is no easy task, particularly in college football’s toughest league, and absolutely not a model for success.

The maddening part of Jarrett’s game to this point is that he generally has done well with the aspects of quarterbacking that go unnoticed to the common fan — things like pre-snap adjustments and cadence with the snap count. The problem has been that when he does make a mistake it has been simply catastrophic. Just mentioning the word ‘Florida’ at this point will evoke memories of the ball sailing over a streaking Dominick Wood-Anderson, or an interception thrown right into the chest of a defensive back. There is reason to believe, with some continuity at offensive line and offensive coordinator, that Jarrett can eliminate the costly mistakes. This, along with improved timing in the passing game, would go a very long way to achieving the level of quarterback play that is expected on Rocky Top.

Brian Maurer
2019 Stats: 35-75 / 46.7% completion / 541-yards passing / 2 TD’s / 5 INT’s / 56-yards rushing / 2 rushing TD’s

Maurer was a spark in limited action last year. Who could forget his first touchdown, a 73-yard sluggo to Marquez Callaway against Georgia? Maurer was comfortable from the shotgun in the RPO-game, and often helped propel a stagnant Volunteer offense. However, he was also reckless. Too often he put the ball, and his body, in harm’s way. Protecting the football is critical to play for Jeremy Pruitt, and staying healthy is critical for playing in general. Maurer proved he has what it takes to compete for the starting job, and it’s clear where he needs to improve to take over full-time.

J.T. Shrout
2019 Stats: 13-27 / 48.1% completion / 179-yards passing / 1 TD’s / 0 INT’s / 4-yards rushing / 0 rushing TD’s

Of all of the quarterbacks on Tennessee’s roster last season, Shrout may have had the best arm of the bunch. A perfect example is his 55-yard cannon to Marquez Callaway off of play-action against South Carolina. Arm talent is no issue for the ultra-cool California teenager (I’ve never met him, I’m just assuming like all California teenagers he’s cool). Shrout’s issues are mainly operational. Can he get the offense in and out of the huddle on time? Can he make the appropriate checks at the line of scrimmage? A second consecutive year in the same offensive system should benefit all of the returning quarterbacks, perhaps Shrout most of all.

Kasim Hill
2018 Stats (at University of Maryland): 84-170 / 49.4% completion / 1,083-yards passing / 9 TD’s / 4 INT’s / -15-yards rushing / 0 rushing TD’s

Maryland opened up the 2017 season at Texas. When starting quarterback Tyrell Pigrome was knocked out of the game with an injury, Hill was thrust into the spotlight. Hill was serviceable in the remainder of that in Austin, completing all three of his passes for 44-yards and adding a score on the ground. The Terps were able to hang on for an upset win that day. Unfortunately, Hill only managed to hang on to the starting spot for two more games before being sidelined for the year with a torn right ACL. He returned in 2018, and again beat Texas to open the season.

Despite this promising start Hill struggled with accuracy throughout the season, and was again sidelined, this time with a torn left ACL. Hill rehabbed from his most recent injury, and transferred to Tennessee quietly in late August of 2019. With Hill there are glaring injury and accuracy concerns. However, the former 4-star recruit has considerable playing experience in a Power-5 conference. It’s unclear how Hill’s injury history may affect his athletic performance, but he already has one season of learning Tennessee’s system under his belt.

Incoming Players
Harrison Bailey
2019 Stats (at Marietta High School, 16 games played): 287-411 / 69.8% completion / 4674-yards passing / 50 TD’s / 10 INT’s / 76-yards rushing / 3 rushing TD’s

As we get ready to kick off spring practice Harrison Bailey is practically a household name already. The five-star quarterback — according to Rivals, 4-star according to other sources — certainly looks the part at 6’5” and 211-pounds. Bailey broke all sorts of records over his high school career, which culminated in a dominant state championship victory, the first for his high school since 1967. He showcased a strong arm and impressive pocket mobility against rigorous competition in suburban Atlanta.

Bailey elected to enroll early at the University of Tennessee, meaning he’ll be ready to compete for the starting job right away with spring practice. Although some have already dubbed him the second-coming of Peyton Manning it is far too early to declare how Bailey will perform. In the limited film available he certainly demonstrates the aforementioned attributes of arm strength and mobility. But, he has gotten away with some throws that might not be available at the Division-1 level, and I think it’s fair to say his mechanics while on the run need refining.

Jimmy Holiday
2019 Stats (at Madison Central High School, 11 games played): 94-148 / 63.5% completion / 1020-yards passing / 9 TD’s / 4 INT’s / 1401-yards rushing / 21 rushing TD’s

Jimmy Holiday is an incredibly intriguing prospect. As a three-star recruit he didn’t get nearly as much hype as his classmate Bailey. Many schools recruited him as an athlete, but Tennessee diligently pursued Holiday as a quarterback. Holiday is a smooth and gifted runner who, at 190-pounds, isn’t afraid to run in-between the tackles.

Some have speculated that Holiday could quickly see time in the Tennessee offense as a replacement for Jauan Jennings in the ‘Wildcat’ package. While this is a definite possibility, it’s important not to reduce Holiday to simply a runner. There is a reason he’s listed as a dual-threat, and his over 1,000-yards through the air last season prove he has earned that distinction. He’s shown nice touch on deep balls and while on the run.

Holiday, like Bailey, is an early enrollee and can therefore begin picking up the offense right away. He might require more polishing in the passing game than others, but he also brings a dimension that no other quarterback on the roster brings to the position. Expect to see Holiday in the mix, and don’t be surprised to see him throughout the season in certain circumstances.

Bottom Line
A strong competition for the starting quarterback job should elevate the level of performance at the position. It may be difficult to evenly distribute reps between each quarterback, but that isn’t necessarily a problem. The quarterback that ultimately wins the job will protect the football, operate the huddle and at the line of scrimmage effectively, and make accurate throws. Tennessee desperately needs to get the most out of this position, and the staff is sure to take their time in determining who is the best man to lead the Orange & White offense.
This is why I tagged you when the qbs were available. Excellent write up and very neutral.

Reactions: VolsnRavens
So let me get this straight: (This applies to 90% of social media)

the kid that goes 14/28, 259yds and 2 tds in his first collegiate start as a freshman against the arguably the best defense in college football stands NO chance on our roster in 2020?

The kid that followed that up by going 4/7 for 61 yards while rushing for an average of 13 yards per carry against another SEC opponent has NO chance on our roster in 2020?

The same one that goes 5/7 for 62 yards and a rushing td vs the number one team in the country, in THEIR HOUSE, stands NO chance on our roster in 2020?

Let’s hypothetically speak that HB gets the first quarter vs Charlotte. 5/7 would be a reasonable expectation. But Charlotte is not even close MSU.

Let’s hypothetically say he gets the start vs OU. I have a hard time EXPECTING better than 259 yds and 2 tds.

Let’s say he gets the first qtr on the third Saturday in October. Does he complete 71% of his passes and score on Alabama? Idk but it’s a tall order.

I’m not saying the kid ISNT “capable” of the same things. My point is I see all these comments suggesting he’s going to be better than what we have based on rank alone and BM isn’t a factor. Most of you may have written him off but he’s more than a factor....... he’s a problem for both JG and HB if he gets better at making decisions.

Reactions: UT77
Vesting infers that I have a personal inVESTment in him winning the job.
Not what I meant. I meant you were vesting as in staking yourself to a prediction... or probability as you put it.

No way that jibes with the bolded you chose to reference. It’s not me being a fanboy to acknowledge that true freshmen being ready is no Herculean feat. I’m a different sheriff than K-Town...best use a different strategy.
Wow... come on butchna.

Reactions: KBVol
Not what I meant. I meant you were vesting as in staking yourself to a prediction... or probability as you put it.

Wow... come on butchna.
What did I predict? And it was “percentages of POSSIBILITY” not “probability”...there’s a distinct difference.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight: (This applies to 90% of social media)

the kid that goes 14/28, 259yds and 2 tds in his first collegiate start as a freshman against the arguably the best defense in college football stands NO chance on our roster in 2020?

The kid that followed that up by going 4/7 for 61 yards while rushing for an average of 13 yards per carry against another SEC opponent has NO chance on our roster in 2020?

The same one that goes 5/7 for 62 yards and a rushing td vs the number one team in the country, in THEIR HOUSE, stands NO chance on our roster in 2020?

Let’s hypothetically speak that HB gets the first quarter vs Charlotte. 5/7 would be a reasonable expectation. But Charlotte is not even close MSU.

Let’s hypothetically say he gets the start vs OU. I have a hard time EXPECTING better than 259 yds and 2 tds.

Let’s say he gets the first qtr on the third Saturday in October. Does he complete 71% of his passes and score on Alabama? Idk but it’s a tall order.

I’m not saying the kid ISNT “capable” of the same things. My point is I see all these comments suggesting he’s going to be better than what we have based on rank alone and BM isn’t a factor. Most of you may have written him off but he’s more than a factor....... he’s a problem for both JG and HB if he gets better at making decisions.
You can lump Shrout in there too. If one of them has been devoted and effective in the film room then JG will have real competition. HB can do that too... but regardless of what some think actual playing time vs SEC level D's is invaluable experience. Both Shrout and Maurer have some. Maurer obviously more than Shrout.

What did I predict? And it was “percentages of POSSIBILITY” not “probability”...there’s a distinct difference.
However you want to state it. You don't have to parse words any more. You favor HB to be JG's competition. Not necessarily by "rooting" for him but very obviously believing he's the most likely to do it.

Reactions: KBVol and 1vol8
However you want to state it. You don't have to parse words any more. You favor HB to be JG's competition. Not necessarily by "rooting" for him but very obviously believing he's the most likely to do it.
I don’t need to parse words...I freely state them. And I didn’t state whatever the hell it is you just said. I don’t know if Bailey will get IT this season, but the true freshman hindrance angle is antiquated.

Reactions: Remy
Quick summary.

JG is the favorite. Any actual Vol fan should be hoping he has a Sr yr breakout year like a bunch of qbs do. That is the best chance of winning games.

Or

The other good scenario is HB comes in looking like Peyton day one and takes the job.

The rest of the guys have a ways to go.

And you misinterpreted by inferring that I stated that you stated that he couldn’t. We could do this all day. We disagree on the percentage of possibilities. I keep hearing this refrain that Bailey getting the ball to his weapons is concerning. Kinda what we want out of our QB...right? Burrow got better from his junior to his senior campaign and he didn’t accomplish that by focusing on his less talented targets.

The point about the uber talent arounf Bailey is, had he thrown many of those td passes to more pedestrian talent like most HS qbs have to, they wouldnt have been tds. Same with the yards totals, with out the talented guys he had on his team those totals would have been far less.

Yes we want our qb to throw to his best weapons. However the weapons on our team wont out talent every other defender they face...thus the hesitancy on the part of sane posters in announcing a young freshman as the next coming.

Reactions: 1vol8
The point about the uber talent arounf Bailey is, had he thrown many of those td passes to more pedestrian talent like most HS qbs have to, they wouldnt have been tds. Same with the yards totals, with out the talented guys he had on his team those totals would have been far less.

Yes we want our qb to throw to his best weapons. However the weapons on our team wont out talent every other defender they face...thus the hesitancy on the part of sane posters in announcing a young freshman as the next coming.
Maybe “those” 45-50 yard Gilbert/White YAC specials wouldn’t but more of the 6-18 yard variety would bridge the gap. No way of KNOWING either way but QBs playing elite competition don’t throw elite numbers of TDs without at least adequate targets...no matter the stage. Never declared Bailey as the “next coming” and most of my fellow sanies follow suit. It’s just goofy to downgrade a QB who hits talented targets in stride when there are untold numbers of throwers who manage to overthrow and/or throw behind a receiver or just plain old miss altogether.

You can lump Shrout in there too. If one of them has been devoted and effective in the film room then JG will have real competition. HB can do that too... but regardless of what some think actual playing time vs SEC level D's is invaluable experience. Both Shrout and Maurer have some. Maurer obviously more than Shrout.
You’re absolutely right. Even thought about it because he deserves a mention as well but I think it’s clear to most that this staff wouldn’t have recruited him if they weren’t pressed for time at the time of hire for the 2018 class. Helton done well to get a qb at all that year so he seems viewed as a project. Individually he seems comfortable with a backup role as well. I also think he only seen the field last year due to JGs blunder in Alabama because CJP was itching to get JG out there ASAP vs UAB and USCe. Not that that itch wasn’t there with Maurer but it didn’t seem nearly as important to scratch until UK.

Quick summary.

JG is the favorite. Any actual Vol fan should be hoping he has a Sr yr breakout year like a bunch of qbs do. That is the best chance of winning games.

Or

The other good scenario is HB comes in looking like Peyton day one and takes the job.

The rest of the guys have a ways to go.
JG is the favorite, yes. But here’s something to think about...... is it because he’s the best chance OR is it because CJP favors him? I think most take the latter due to evidence. Myself being one I’ve seen MANY people hoping he has a breakout year. However at this point it’s now unlikely given the issues he has and he only has one more year of eligibility. That year can be used to prepare the future rather than live in the past because I think we all can agree we’re not winning the East with JG. So what are we losing by playing JG except EXTREMELY valuable experience that out future qb could use?

You are one of the ones guilty of thinking there’s only two possibilities. JG or HB. You can answer why JG is the favorite but you can’t answer why HB is the only other option without leaning on rank. Why?...... because that’s ALL you know. There’s plenty of evidence to suggest you’re right and he’ll be great. But there’s also plenty of evidence as well that he’s not quite as good as you think he is. The one you love to hate was also an elite 11 qb and placed 5th. HB placed 10th out of 12. Why do I bring that up? Because it’s the first time that we know of that he played on a team that was evenly matched across the board and he didn’t do so well. Which will be the case when he plays an SEC opponent. The only difference is unlike the elite 11, he’s live. So placing 10th in 7on7 isn’t a good look. It shows he was possibly overwhelmed by the defenses.

All I’m saying is pump the brakes. He may be great. He may be a bust. No one knows until he’s played.

JG is the favorite, yes. But here’s something to think about...... is it because he’s the best chance OR is it because CJP favors him? I think most take the latter due to evidence. Myself being one I’ve seen MANY people hoping he has a breakout year. However at this point it’s now unlikely given the issues he has and he only has one more year of eligibility. That year can be used to prepare the future rather than live in the past because I think we all can agree we’re not winning the East with JG. So what are we losing by playing JG except EXTREMELY valuable experience that out future qb could use?

You are one of the ones guilty of thinking there’s only two possibilities. JG or HB. You can answer why JG is the favorite but you can’t answer why HB is the only other option without leaning on rank. Why?...... because that’s ALL you know. There’s plenty of evidence to suggest you’re right and he’ll be great. But there’s also plenty of evidence as well that he’s not quite as good as you think he is. The one you love to hate was also an elite 11 qb and placed 5th. HB placed 10th out of 12. Why do I bring that up? Because it’s the first time that we know of that he played on a team that was evenly matched across the board and he didn’t do so well. Which will be the case when he plays an SEC opponent. The only difference is unlike the elite 11, he’s live. So placing 10th in 7on7 isn’t a good look. It shows he was possibly overwhelmed by the defenses.

All I’m saying is pump the brakes. He may be great. He may be a bust. No one knows until he’s played.
You do know that the Elite 11 is 7 kids running in shorts against 7 other short donning kids? And that past WINNERS include Asiiante Woulard and Sean White amongst other household names? Resume science discussion.

You do know that the Elite 11 is 7 kids running in shorts against 7 other short donning kids? And that past WINNERS include Asiiante Woulard and Sean White amongst other household names? Resume science discussion.
I know the elite 11 very well actually. Winners also include Justin Fields with Trevor Lawrence a very close 2nd, Matt Stafford among many other household names. I agree 7on7 isn’t real football. However the reason it’s called “the closest thing to a real game” is because the qbs have the same amount of time to resemble a pocket, the receivers have to run crisp routes and the qbs have to throw into coverage. The elite 11 is on another level though. Yes it’s 7on7 BUT every one of the defenders are power 5 athletes so it’s faster than just 7on7. You HAVE to be an elite athlete to compete in that environment.

That’s been my argument all along and happy someone else has the capability to see the obvious rather than allow their HOPE to mask it. Not only would a lot of those td passes not been tds but several would’ve been ints as well. He has the same issue nearly ALL freshman qbs have. More times than not his receiver is selected pre snap. He has good ball placement skills so he got away with throwing into dbl and sometimes triple coverage. Other times he relied on his big body receivers to make a play on a ball that probably shouldn’t have been thrown. Point is his decision making isn’t what most think due to results. Those results are equally credited to the dominance of his receivers as they are himself.

I know the elite 11 very well actually. Winners also include Justin Fields with Trevor Lawrence a very close 2nd, Matt Stafford among many other household names. I agree 7on7 isn’t real football. However the reason it’s called “the closest thing to a real game” is because the qbs have the same amount of time to resemble a pocket, the receivers have to run crisp routes and the qbs have to throw into coverage. The elite 11 is on another level though. Yes it’s 7on7 BUT every one of the defenders are power 5 athletes so it’s faster than just 7on7. You HAVE to be an elite athlete to compete in that environment.
It’s glorified routes against air. “Competition” that doesn’t include disguised coverages or anything that resembles pressure. I defend Casey Clausen’s legacy but would never pretend he was an “elite athlete”. Would wager Florida wouldn’t for Ingle Martin or Oklahoma for Rhett Bomar. It’s a throwing contest. Using this metric for this discussion is an exercise in futility.

That’s been my argument all along and happy someone else has the capability to see the obvious rather than allow their HOPE to mask it. Not only would a lot of those td passes not been tds but several would’ve been ints as well. He has the same issue nearly ALL freshman qbs have. More times than not his receiver is selected pre snap. He has good ball placement skills so he got away with throwing into dbl and sometimes triple coverage. Other times he relied on his big body receivers to make a play on a ball that probably shouldn’t have been thrown. Point is his decision making isn’t what most think due to results. Those results are equally credited to the dominance of his receivers as they are himself.
And we saw the excessive ints thrown by Maurer...all based on great decision making I’m sure. Isn’t confidence in his elite receivers ability to fight for the ball part of DECISION MAKING? If they “would’ve been” been picked off if thrown to less talented receivers, maybe he “would’ve been” savvy enough not to throw them. Lot of great QB’s throughout history have thrown (and completed) passes more game managing types never attempted.

It’s glorified routes against air. “Competition” that doesn’t include disguised coverages or anything that resembles pressure. I defend Casey Clausen’s legacy but would never pretend he was an “elite athlete”. Would wager Florida wouldn’t for Ingle Martin or Oklahoma for Rhett Bomar. It’s a throwing contest. Using this metric for this discussion is an exercise in futility.
That’s where you’re wrong. The timer goes off at 3.5 seconds which is better than average o line protection of 3.0. If youre still holding the ball it’s a sack. JG had that problem at the opening in his class. Once you reach ”the opening” the playbooks are pulled from professional playbooks. In fact that’s part of the competition to see how quickly each qb can learn it and apply it to the field. Each athlete is given the playbook a week ahead of ”the opening”. Every movement is graded, from drop backs to hitches. The routes on air portion of the event holds little weight in comparison to the 7on7. Point is it’s much more than just a throwing contest. It’s a total body of work. The rest of your statement is true and i believe it was Peyton himself that once said “Not all qbs are athletes” “I’m probably the least athletic in the league”. I agree with that statement because it’s 100% true. However the secondaries ARE elite athletes at the opening and that’s where there’s cause for concern given where he placed among the others. It’s the only time anyone has seen him play with a level playing field outside of the ONE game they lost this past season where he ended up finishing with 4 ints.

VN Store

Back