Tennessee Football Spring Preview: Quarterbacks

VolsnRavens

Probably the most challenging preview of the preseason. We know what JG does and does not bring to the game. Even those of us who have wanted him to move on have always wanted to eat crow in hopes he has a revelation and plays up to expectations. I'm really not sure what to expect, but I'm hoping either JG somehow flips that switch with his second year under CJC, or he is benched early if he continues to show the same weaknesses as he has. Thoughts? Go Vols!

Stability. It’s been four years since that word could accurately be used to describe the quarterback situation at the University of Tennessee. Back then Joshua Dobbs, when he wasn’t launching rockets into outer space, was launching touchdowns into the checkerboards. And when he wasn’t launching them, he was running for them. Since 2016, though, the quarterback position — and many of the pieces around it — has been in flux.

Fortunately, as we head into year three of the Jeremy Pruitt era the turbulent waters seem to have calmed somewhat around this crucial position. Jim Chaney returns as play-caller, marking the first time since the aforementioned 2016 season that Tennessee has retained it’s offensive coordinator from one season to the next. Further, Tennessee returns four quarterbacks from the previous year’s roster, all with notable playing experience. Joining that group will be two exceptionally talented yet stylistically dissimilar freshmen who hope to push for playing time.

Here is who the Vols will have at quarterback heading into the important 2020 season.

Returning Players
Jarrett Guarantano
2019 Stats: 152-257 / 59.1% completion / 2,158-yards passing / 16 TD’s / 8 INT’s / 54-yards rushing / 0 rushing TD’s

‘Unfinished business.’ Those are the words Guarantano used to announce his return to Tennessee for his senior season, and they’re certainly fitting. I think even he would admit that his career to this point has left much to be desired from a production standpoint. But, he hasn’t exactly had a fair shake with the coaching turnover he’s faced. Many will claim that the Vols already know what Guarantano will give them at the position, but in my opinion this is unfair. He’s faced turnover across the coaching staff. He’s faced turnover across the offensive line. He’s faced turnover with offensive scheme. Taking on all of that is no easy task, particularly in college football’s toughest league, and absolutely not a model for success.

The maddening part of Jarrett’s game to this point is that he generally has done well with the aspects of quarterbacking that go unnoticed to the common fan — things like pre-snap adjustments and cadence with the snap count. The problem has been that when he does make a mistake it has been simply catastrophic. Just mentioning the word ‘Florida’ at this point will evoke memories of the ball sailing over a streaking Dominick Wood-Anderson, or an interception thrown right into the chest of a defensive back. There is reason to believe, with some continuity at offensive line and offensive coordinator, that Jarrett can eliminate the costly mistakes. This, along with improved timing in the passing game, would go a very long way to achieving the level of quarterback play that is expected on Rocky Top.

Brian Maurer
2019 Stats: 35-75 / 46.7% completion / 541-yards passing / 2 TD’s / 5 INT’s / 56-yards rushing / 2 rushing TD’s

Maurer was a spark in limited action last year. Who could forget his first touchdown, a 73-yard sluggo to Marquez Callaway against Georgia? Maurer was comfortable from the shotgun in the RPO-game, and often helped propel a stagnant Volunteer offense. However, he was also reckless. Too often he put the ball, and his body, in harm’s way. Protecting the football is critical to play for Jeremy Pruitt, and staying healthy is critical for playing in general. Maurer proved he has what it takes to compete for the starting job, and it’s clear where he needs to improve to take over full-time.

J.T. Shrout
2019 Stats: 13-27 / 48.1% completion / 179-yards passing / 1 TD’s / 0 INT’s / 4-yards rushing / 0 rushing TD’s

Of all of the quarterbacks on Tennessee’s roster last season, Shrout may have had the best arm of the bunch. A perfect example is his 55-yard cannon to Marquez Callaway off of play-action against South Carolina. Arm talent is no issue for the ultra-cool California teenager (I’ve never met him, I’m just assuming like all California teenagers he’s cool). Shrout’s issues are mainly operational. Can he get the offense in and out of the huddle on time? Can he make the appropriate checks at the line of scrimmage? A second consecutive year in the same offensive system should benefit all of the returning quarterbacks, perhaps Shrout most of all.

Kasim Hill
2018 Stats (at University of Maryland): 84-170 / 49.4% completion / 1,083-yards passing / 9 TD’s / 4 INT’s / -15-yards rushing / 0 rushing TD’s

Maryland opened up the 2017 season at Texas. When starting quarterback Tyrell Pigrome was knocked out of the game with an injury, Hill was thrust into the spotlight. Hill was serviceable in the remainder of that in Austin, completing all three of his passes for 44-yards and adding a score on the ground. The Terps were able to hang on for an upset win that day. Unfortunately, Hill only managed to hang on to the starting spot for two more games before being sidelined for the year with a torn right ACL. He returned in 2018, and again beat Texas to open the season.

Despite this promising start Hill struggled with accuracy throughout the season, and was again sidelined, this time with a torn left ACL. Hill rehabbed from his most recent injury, and transferred to Tennessee quietly in late August of 2019. With Hill there are glaring injury and accuracy concerns. However, the former 4-star recruit has considerable playing experience in a Power-5 conference. It’s unclear how Hill’s injury history may affect his athletic performance, but he already has one season of learning Tennessee’s system under his belt.

Incoming Players
Harrison Bailey
2019 Stats (at Marietta High School, 16 games played): 287-411 / 69.8% completion / 4674-yards passing / 50 TD’s / 10 INT’s / 76-yards rushing / 3 rushing TD’s

As we get ready to kick off spring practice Harrison Bailey is practically a household name already. The five-star quarterback — according to Rivals, 4-star according to other sources — certainly looks the part at 6’5” and 211-pounds. Bailey broke all sorts of records over his high school career, which culminated in a dominant state championship victory, the first for his high school since 1967. He showcased a strong arm and impressive pocket mobility against rigorous competition in suburban Atlanta.

Bailey elected to enroll early at the University of Tennessee, meaning he’ll be ready to compete for the starting job right away with spring practice. Although some have already dubbed him the second-coming of Peyton Manning it is far too early to declare how Bailey will perform. In the limited film available he certainly demonstrates the aforementioned attributes of arm strength and mobility. But, he has gotten away with some throws that might not be available at the Division-1 level, and I think it’s fair to say his mechanics while on the run need refining.

Jimmy Holiday
2019 Stats (at Madison Central High School, 11 games played): 94-148 / 63.5% completion / 1020-yards passing / 9 TD’s / 4 INT’s / 1401-yards rushing / 21 rushing TD’s

Jimmy Holiday is an incredibly intriguing prospect. As a three-star recruit he didn’t get nearly as much hype as his classmate Bailey. Many schools recruited him as an athlete, but Tennessee diligently pursued Holiday as a quarterback. Holiday is a smooth and gifted runner who, at 190-pounds, isn’t afraid to run in-between the tackles.

Some have speculated that Holiday could quickly see time in the Tennessee offense as a replacement for Jauan Jennings in the ‘Wildcat’ package. While this is a definite possibility, it’s important not to reduce Holiday to simply a runner. There is a reason he’s listed as a dual-threat, and his over 1,000-yards through the air last season prove he has earned that distinction. He’s shown nice touch on deep balls and while on the run.

Holiday, like Bailey, is an early enrollee and can therefore begin picking up the offense right away. He might require more polishing in the passing game than others, but he also brings a dimension that no other quarterback on the roster brings to the position. Expect to see Holiday in the mix, and don’t be surprised to see him throughout the season in certain circumstances.

Bottom Line
A strong competition for the starting quarterback job should elevate the level of performance at the position. It may be difficult to evenly distribute reps between each quarterback, but that isn’t necessarily a problem. The quarterback that ultimately wins the job will protect the football, operate the huddle and at the line of scrimmage effectively, and make accurate throws. Tennessee desperately needs to get the most out of this position, and the staff is sure to take their time in determining who is the best man to lead the Orange & White offense.

I know who will more than likely be the starter but when the play by play announcers point out mistakes your QB is making during several games last season it is probably time to move away from him....

Ty for listening
Play by Play announcers that are former QBs themselves tend to do that. They were also quick to point out the things he did well also.

Author not named... could have been Pulaski or k-town. Waltzed all around JG's real problem.... which has nothing to do with schemes, coaches, turnover, or any of that.
Just someone more knowledgeable about football than you. Plenty of those around.

People with sense know JG hasn't been perfect but has also been subject to less than optimal conditions for success.

If I had to guess now i'd say JG starts & unless the Charlotte game ls close like it was in 2018., Bailey will get in that game if he's what everyone hopes and says he is. If he is he will have surpassed BM and be available if JG stumbles in the Oklahoma game . JP likes to go with experience and low TO rate but will and has made a change at QB.
This is how it plays out in my mind and if Bailey shows out at Oklahoma will be starter vs Furman. If not we could see a QB merry go round like we did in 2019.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Just someone more knowledgeable about football than you. Plenty of those around.
Yeah... and you can go back and watch the IU game or if you are as intellectually lazy as you are dishonest... just go back and watch the first series of the second half of the USCe game. The one long throw to MC illustrates the problem that I recognize and you deny (we've been there before). JG can't see the play breaking open. Instead, he waits a half count longer to "SEE" it open. He then throws late and fails to lead MC. What would have been a walk in TD with a QB that doesn't have his issues... turned into a contested catch.

People with sense know JG hasn't been perfect but has also been subject to less than optimal conditions for success.
Yeah... according to you ALL of his problems are due to someone else... but they're not.

If I had to guess now i'd say JG starts & unless the Charlotte game ls close like it was in 2018., Bailey will get in that game if he's what everyone hopes and says he is. If he is he will have surpassed BM and be available if JG stumbles in the Oklahoma game . JP likes to go with experience and low TO rate but will and has made a change at QB.
This is how it plays out in my mind and if Bailey shows out at Oklahoma will be starter vs Furman. If not we could see a QB merry go round like we did in 2019.
JG is probably the least gifted of the top 4 in pure passing ability. But he has a strong edge in experience and by the end of last season managed the O and run game very well. Unfortunately, his weaknesses allow even untalented D's like IU and Vandy to have a lot of success stopping UT's passing game and playing down hill against the run game.

Maurer was plagued by bad decisions last fall and was well behind JG managing the O. The question with him is how dedicated he's been to catching up. Much of what he needs to close the gap can be done in the film room. But he still has to improve on the bad decisions. He's decisive and quick making them.... but the quality wasn't there.

Shrout in spite of having a year on Maurer didn't appear to be ahead of him in management of the O. Probably behind. Again, if he's dedicated himself to catching up then he has the talent to take over. He's got the gun.

HB is an unknown. He was a great HS QB but so was J Crompton and M Mustain. He has to adapt to the speed of the game and then catch up and then earn playing time ahead of the others while NOT getting the special attention most Fr get when they're going to start. UT's staff would essentially have to place their bet on him and devote coaching to him to the exclusion of the others. IMHO, that would be major mistake.

At the start of this season no matter who starts or plays a lot of minutes as Vol QB, defenses will stack the box and force our offense to beat them through the air. Until we can consistently do that it becomes the scouting report on the UT Vols. If JG cannot do it early, get a youngster in there quickly. Quick as in a couple of offensive series and he's yanked.

Unless someone steps up and totally takes over the QB position I won't be surprised to see anything happen.

We might even see 3 QB's play in the same game more than once this season.

We could end up with different player packages for different situations and QB's rotating in like WR's do.

We have lots of QB's and lots of talent and each guy brings different things to the table so if we don't have a clear #1 QB I can see Pruitt and our O staff putting together different play packages for different situations for each QB along with specific WR's in each package moving in and out during the games.

kenSucky did pretty well last season with a wild running WR playing QB and I'm sire that opened the eyes of lots of HC's and OC's to think about how they could open up some different things with their players.

I won't rule out anything this season as our coaches try to figure out how to get the most WINS this season and try to figure out how they're going to move forward for the next season after JG is gone.

Many, many things to try to figure out this year.

It could turn into a really fun season to watch for us.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: chrismc1000
JG is probably the least gifted of the top 4 in pure passing ability. But he has a strong edge in experience and by the end of last season managed the O and run game very well. Unfortunately, his weaknesses allow even untalented D's like IU and Vandy to have a lot of success stopping UT's passing game and playing down hill against the run game.

Maurer was plagued by bad decisions last fall and was well behind JG managing the O. The question with him is how dedicated he's been to catching up. Much of what he needs to close the gap can be done in the film room. But he still has to improve on the bad decisions. He's decisive and quick making them.... but the quality wasn't there.

Shrout in spite of having a year on Maurer didn't appear to be ahead of him in management of the O. Probably behind. Again, if he's dedicated himself to catching up then he has the talent to take over. He's got the gun.

HB is an unknown. He was a great HS QB but so was J Crompton and M Mustain. He has to adapt to the speed of the game and then catch up and then earn playing time ahead of the others while NOT getting the special attention most Fr get when they're going to start. UT's staff would essentially have to place their bet on him and devote coaching to him to the exclusion of the others. IMHO, that would be major mistake.
You really think Maurer and/or Shrout have a significant lead in development? Barring a complete Spring/Fall camp implosion, I expect JG to win the starting nod but all bets are off after the first kickoff. The QB who can process what the opposing defense is throwing at the highest level and who can flat out THROW the best will end up the guy. Not declaring Bailey to be said guy but I don’t believe he needs any more excessive babysitting to win the job than any other candidate.

First I will look for a physical change in JG appearance after another year of winter weight training he should look alitte bigger/stronger. Next I will look for him NOT holding the ball until the receiver is wide open and throwing it spot the receiver is going to be. Hitting the receiver on the run is one of his biggest problems. One last thing is he any quicker when running out of the pocket ? If all these things are the same as last year I hope to see more of HB on the field of play this season. BTW nice post VolsnRaven.

Reactions: spyfish007
You really think Maurer and/or Shrout have a significant lead in development? Barring a complete Spring/Fall camp implosion, I expect JG to win the starting nod but all bets are off after the first kickoff. The QB who can process what the opposing defense is throwing at the highest level and who can flat out THROW the best will end up the guy. Not declaring Bailey to be said guy but I don’t believe he needs any more excessive babysitting to win the job than any other candidate.
Yeah, I think they have that advantage having played against SEC level competition. Their experience was more necessary than it was earned or great. But they now have an understanding of what it is really like. No matter how good a Fr is they don't have that edge. Lawrence is about as talented as any QB I've seen in years. He didn't start right away and made a lot of mistakes when he finally did that were often covered up by the talent around him and maybe the competition he played against.

IMHO, there is no chance with JG on the roster that Pruitt starts anyone who cannot manage the run game as well or at least close. He's following that early Bama model. They had QB's who had significant liabilities in the passing game but managed the run game well. In my mind, there's almost no chance that Shrout and Maurer aren't ahead in that.

I think all of us will be happy if Bailey is so good that they just can't keep him off the field. But I will need to see him perform against college level talent before believing it.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I think granting JG all these excuses of changing OL, OC’s, etc is just that...excuses.

If his problems reflected those things fine...and to at least some extent they do. BUT throwing directly to DB’s, throwing behind the WRs waiting for them to be wide open, etc are not OC and OL issues their JG issues and he’s had more than most college QB’s have had to fix those.

Move on UNLESS the coaches somehow think Bailey being thrown in too early for where he’s at is a bad decision long term for HIS development and setting HIM up to be the most successful short and long term.

Otherwise, if he’s gonna take his lumps either way, let’s get it started game one.

I am interested to see how Pruitt manages the QB situation. Will he A) pick on guy and stick, B) pick a guy for a half or C) change QBs whenever he wants, frequently. Really I am curious if last year's experience being able to make changes and have the QBs and team stick together will influence him.

I don't think Hill has any shot, maybe he will surprise me. I will be shocked if Stroud becomes the guy, while he can throw a good ball, I am not sure his multiple weaknesses can be fixed in one year. So I will say it. JG, BM or HB is really where people will be watching. We can't find out about JGs weakness until the games start in September. Can he throw the ball on time, consistently? For this reason I also expect no announcement about starting QB till we are into the fall, other than JG. Don't want to lose QBs and don't want to demotivate anyone. I will really be only monitoring to see how many reps each QB is getting. I think that is the only way you can see what the coaches are thinking. Even still take it with a grain of salt. See my first paragraph.

JG is about to enter his 4th season as the projected starter. And this author is making the case that he sucks because of the turnover. There's gonna be turnover when you play 4 years straight lmao.

The travesty isn't the turnover, it's the fact JG has yet to be included in the turnover.

Probably the most challenging preview of the preseason. We know what JG does and does not bring to the game. Even those of us who have wanted him to move on have always wanted to eat crow in hopes he has a revelation and plays up to expectations. I'm really not sure what to expect, but I'm hoping either JG somehow flips that switch with his second year under CJC, or he is benched early if he continues to show the same weaknesses as he has. Thoughts? Go Vols!

Stability. It’s been four years since that word could accurately be used to describe the quarterback situation at the University of Tennessee. Back then Joshua Dobbs, when he wasn’t launching rockets into outer space, was launching touchdowns into the checkerboards. And when he wasn’t launching them, he was running for them. Since 2016, though, the quarterback position — and many of the pieces around it — has been in flux.

Fortunately, as we head into year three of the Jeremy Pruitt era the turbulent waters seem to have calmed somewhat around this crucial position. Jim Chaney returns as play-caller, marking the first time since the aforementioned 2016 season that Tennessee has retained it’s offensive coordinator from one season to the next. Further, Tennessee returns four quarterbacks from the previous year’s roster, all with notable playing experience. Joining that group will be two exceptionally talented yet stylistically dissimilar freshmen who hope to push for playing time.

Here is who the Vols will have at quarterback heading into the important 2020 season.

Returning Players
Jarrett Guarantano
2019 Stats: 152-257 / 59.1% completion / 2,158-yards passing / 16 TD’s / 8 INT’s / 54-yards rushing / 0 rushing TD’s

‘Unfinished business.’ Those are the words Guarantano used to announce his return to Tennessee for his senior season, and they’re certainly fitting. I think even he would admit that his career to this point has left much to be desired from a production standpoint. But, he hasn’t exactly had a fair shake with the coaching turnover he’s faced. Many will claim that the Vols already know what Guarantano will give them at the position, but in my opinion this is unfair. He’s faced turnover across the coaching staff. He’s faced turnover across the offensive line. He’s faced turnover with offensive scheme. Taking on all of that is no easy task, particularly in college football’s toughest league, and absolutely not a model for success.

The maddening part of Jarrett’s game to this point is that he generally has done well with the aspects of quarterbacking that go unnoticed to the common fan — things like pre-snap adjustments and cadence with the snap count. The problem has been that when he does make a mistake it has been simply catastrophic. Just mentioning the word ‘Florida’ at this point will evoke memories of the ball sailing over a streaking Dominick Wood-Anderson, or an interception thrown right into the chest of a defensive back. There is reason to believe, with some continuity at offensive line and offensive coordinator, that Jarrett can eliminate the costly mistakes. This, along with improved timing in the passing game, would go a very long way to achieving the level of quarterback play that is expected on Rocky Top.

Brian Maurer
2019 Stats: 35-75 / 46.7% completion / 541-yards passing / 2 TD’s / 5 INT’s / 56-yards rushing / 2 rushing TD’s

Maurer was a spark in limited action last year. Who could forget his first touchdown, a 73-yard sluggo to Marquez Callaway against Georgia? Maurer was comfortable from the shotgun in the RPO-game, and often helped propel a stagnant Volunteer offense. However, he was also reckless. Too often he put the ball, and his body, in harm’s way. Protecting the football is critical to play for Jeremy Pruitt, and staying healthy is critical for playing in general. Maurer proved he has what it takes to compete for the starting job, and it’s clear where he needs to improve to take over full-time.

J.T. Shrout
2019 Stats: 13-27 / 48.1% completion / 179-yards passing / 1 TD’s / 0 INT’s / 4-yards rushing / 0 rushing TD’s

Of all of the quarterbacks on Tennessee’s roster last season, Shrout may have had the best arm of the bunch. A perfect example is his 55-yard cannon to Marquez Callaway off of play-action against South Carolina. Arm talent is no issue for the ultra-cool California teenager (I’ve never met him, I’m just assuming like all California teenagers he’s cool). Shrout’s issues are mainly operational. Can he get the offense in and out of the huddle on time? Can he make the appropriate checks at the line of scrimmage? A second consecutive year in the same offensive system should benefit all of the returning quarterbacks, perhaps Shrout most of all.

Kasim Hill
2018 Stats (at University of Maryland): 84-170 / 49.4% completion / 1,083-yards passing / 9 TD’s / 4 INT’s / -15-yards rushing / 0 rushing TD’s

Maryland opened up the 2017 season at Texas. When starting quarterback Tyrell Pigrome was knocked out of the game with an injury, Hill was thrust into the spotlight. Hill was serviceable in the remainder of that in Austin, completing all three of his passes for 44-yards and adding a score on the ground. The Terps were able to hang on for an upset win that day. Unfortunately, Hill only managed to hang on to the starting spot for two more games before being sidelined for the year with a torn right ACL. He returned in 2018, and again beat Texas to open the season.

Despite this promising start Hill struggled with accuracy throughout the season, and was again sidelined, this time with a torn left ACL. Hill rehabbed from his most recent injury, and transferred to Tennessee quietly in late August of 2019. With Hill there are glaring injury and accuracy concerns. However, the former 4-star recruit has considerable playing experience in a Power-5 conference. It’s unclear how Hill’s injury history may affect his athletic performance, but he already has one season of learning Tennessee’s system under his belt.

Incoming Players
Harrison Bailey
2019 Stats (at Marietta High School, 16 games played): 287-411 / 69.8% completion / 4674-yards passing / 50 TD’s / 10 INT’s / 76-yards rushing / 3 rushing TD’s

As we get ready to kick off spring practice Harrison Bailey is practically a household name already. The five-star quarterback — according to Rivals, 4-star according to other sources — certainly looks the part at 6’5” and 211-pounds. Bailey broke all sorts of records over his high school career, which culminated in a dominant state championship victory, the first for his high school since 1967. He showcased a strong arm and impressive pocket mobility against rigorous competition in suburban Atlanta.

Bailey elected to enroll early at the University of Tennessee, meaning he’ll be ready to compete for the starting job right away with spring practice. Although some have already dubbed him the second-coming of Peyton Manning it is far too early to declare how Bailey will perform. In the limited film available he certainly demonstrates the aforementioned attributes of arm strength and mobility. But, he has gotten away with some throws that might not be available at the Division-1 level, and I think it’s fair to say his mechanics while on the run need refining.

Jimmy Holiday
2019 Stats (at Madison Central High School, 11 games played): 94-148 / 63.5% completion / 1020-yards passing / 9 TD’s / 4 INT’s / 1401-yards rushing / 21 rushing TD’s

Jimmy Holiday is an incredibly intriguing prospect. As a three-star recruit he didn’t get nearly as much hype as his classmate Bailey. Many schools recruited him as an athlete, but Tennessee diligently pursued Holiday as a quarterback. Holiday is a smooth and gifted runner who, at 190-pounds, isn’t afraid to run in-between the tackles.

Some have speculated that Holiday could quickly see time in the Tennessee offense as a replacement for Jauan Jennings in the ‘Wildcat’ package. While this is a definite possibility, it’s important not to reduce Holiday to simply a runner. There is a reason he’s listed as a dual-threat, and his over 1,000-yards through the air last season prove he has earned that distinction. He’s shown nice touch on deep balls and while on the run.

Holiday, like Bailey, is an early enrollee and can therefore begin picking up the offense right away. He might require more polishing in the passing game than others, but he also brings a dimension that no other quarterback on the roster brings to the position. Expect to see Holiday in the mix, and don’t be surprised to see him throughout the season in certain circumstances.

Bottom Line
A strong competition for the starting quarterback job should elevate the level of performance at the position. It may be difficult to evenly distribute reps between each quarterback, but that isn’t necessarily a problem. The quarterback that ultimately wins the job will protect the football, operate the huddle and at the line of scrimmage effectively, and make accurate throws. Tennessee desperately needs to get the most out of this position, and the staff is sure to take their time in determining who is the best man to lead the Orange & White offense.
Well isn’t that wonderful? Our 5th year senior has shown that he can handle pre snap adjustments and the snap cadence.....well just go ahead and name him the starter right now.

You have to overcome his poor play to win a game, he’s a head case, he’s late making decisions and delivering the ball, he throws bad interceptions including pick 6s, he’s inaccurate, he’s wildly inconsistent and he ended last season vs Vandy and Indiana looking like easily the worst qb in the conference............but he can handle the snap cadence beautifully, so let’s just call off the qb “competition” right now already.

If Guarantano is our starter in 2020, and from what we saw last year, there’s no level of awfulness he can play at to where Pruitt will actually pull him for good, we better pray to God Almighty that our defense and special teams are really good so we can maybe make a middling bowl game in 2020.

I am interested to see how Pruitt manages the QB situation. Will he A) pick on guy and stick, B) pick a guy for a half or C) change QBs whenever he wants, frequently. Really I am curious if last year's experience being able to make changes and have the QBs and team stick together will influence him.

I don't think Hill has any shot, maybe he will surprise me. I will be shocked if Stroud becomes the guy, while he can throw a good ball, I am not sure his multiple weaknesses can be fixed in one year. So I will say it. JG, BM or HB is really where people will be watching. We can't find out about JGs weakness until the games start in September. Can he throw the ball on time, consistently? For this reason I also expect no announcement about starting QB till we are into the fall, other than JG. Don't want to lose QBs and don't want to demotivate anyone. I will really be only monitoring to see how many reps each QB is getting. I think that is the only way you can see what the coaches are thinking. Even still take it with a grain of salt. See my first paragraph.
Why speculate on the other guys? As long as Guarantano is on the roster and Pruitt and Chaney are making the decision, no other QBs on the roster have a chance in hell of playing. They’ve made it beyond clear that Guarantano is the guy come hell or high water.

Reactions: 10takum and mpfvol
Why speculate on the other guys? As long as Guarantano is on the roster and Pruitt and Chaney are making the decision, no other QBs on the roster have a chance in hell of playing. They’ve made it beyond clear that Guarantano is the guy come hell or high water.
BM says hi

Reactions: 10takum
Yeah, I think they have that advantage having played against SEC level competition. Their experience was more necessary than it was earned or great. But they now have an understanding of what it is really like. No matter how good a Fr is they don't have that edge. Lawrence is about as talented as any QB I've seen in years. He didn't start right away and made a lot of mistakes when he finally did that were often covered up by the talent around him and maybe the competition he played against.

IMHO, there is no chance with JG on the roster that Pruitt starts anyone who cannot manage the run game as well or at least close. He's following that early Bama model. They had QB's who had significant liabilities in the passing game but managed the run game well. In my mind, there's almost no chance that Shrout and Maurer aren't ahead in that.

I think all of us will be happy if Bailey is so good that they just can't keep him off the field. But I will need to see him perform against college level talent before believing it.
Maurer PLAYED...never started and finished a game. Shrout started a game and got in some snaps...even threw a TD pass. That “managing the run game” aspect is what got JG back on the field, so if they’re AHEAD...it ain’t by enough. Bailey’s played against elite competition since he was in the 8th grade and much of that had SPEED. I just don’t see this insurmountable learning curve that’s being inferred. Interesting you bring up the EARLY Bama QB model. Pruitt was there when they tossed that model out the window and went with Hurts until the second half of a NC game before giving it up to another true freshman...bowed to inevitability. As for Lawrence, Swinney exhibited a tad of loyalty starting Bryant but it was hardly PRODUCTION based. Lawrence clearly outperformed him in those early games and Bryant had that grad transfer exit plan already prepared and ready.

Reactions: MiramarVol
You’re disgruntled beyond reprieve KB. It’s part of your DNA by now. These guys will play the best guy. If that’s JG...you’ll be around to claim he isn’t.

JG at this point...in his FIFTH year.. is a known commodity. When TV former SEC passers call you out repeatedly for being late and behind receivers, that is embarrassing. At least 3 different games we heard that last season. Still, CJP and staff thought he was the most likely to win us football games. If Shrout in his 3rd year and Maurer in his 2nd arent able to outplay JG then we will struggle again this year to score points.

I hope HB is the best QB we have had since Peyton. He may very well be. Right now, he is an 18yo kid though who has never taken a snap in a college game, and to expect him to contribute day 1 is to set yourself up for disappointment. He may even redshirt this season...though I think that is unlikely. How intelligent he is will be as much of a factor as anything else when it comes to getting early playing time as a freshman. The college playbook and audibles he has to learn are probably 100 times as much as the offense he ran in HS. It is impossible to get your players in the right place, or successfully run plays against SEC defenses, IF you do not know exactly where everyone is supposed to be...and exactly what they are going to do when the ball is snapped as far as routes and blocking assignments. Do not underestimate the mental aspect of the game. It's how Peyton beat out Stewart...and why JG kept starting games last season when he has NEVER scored 30 points against an SEC team. Ever.
He was the only one who knew the offense well enough to not make dumb mistakes. JG must also be a "practice warrior " because nothing we saw in games last season would suggest that he should ever be starter.

Again..hopefully one of the underclassmen can step up and take the job from JG right away...and hopefully HB is going to be a great one on the Hill...but sadly until somebody proves that they can intelligently run this offense, the job is JG's until it isnt..

That sucks. With our defense coming together as a solid SEC unit, with really good skill players on offense in place, and bringing in a top 10 class with lots of speed and size...the only wet blanket on Earth that can squash my enthusiasm is the thought of watching JG throw balls a second late and 5 yards shy of where they should be all year. Again. Hopefully we arent stuck like that this year. Hope springs eternal

Go Vols

VN Store

Back