Tennessee Football Spring Preview: Quarterbacks

Adjusted or not JG was the best qb on the roster and a better passer than Nix.

That is a fact. He was the best on the roster by stats and eye test.

Now ypa is irrelevant? Lmao

JG has the arm talent to make SEC throws but he’s shown again & again to make the same mistakes in games that not even Pruitt could fix.

It’s all in his head and if not now, then when???

Love the analysis.
JG: Agree mostly, but as for the pre-snap reads? That is to be expected from a RS Junior and now a RS senior.
BM: I question his make-up (mental aspect), or the ability to remain healthy. A bit too much drama.
JT S: Like his arm & think Pruitt should keep him in the fold.
HB: Hope he utilizes his RS his frosh year. Doubt it though.

Prediction: JG & HB all season long

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
This SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO has the ring of truth and that bell cannot be unrung: "He was so bad that the staff threw a true Fr who no one thinks was ready on the field. He had a couple of good games and then he finished the season as bad as he started it."

JG simply has to be head and shoulders over the younger QBs on the roster and if not it's past time for the staff to move on IMO. He's late on reads and throws IMO because he does not have any rhythm whatsoever. Good to great QBs make it almost like a dance, the ball is snapped and comes out on time even if it's to the sideline and out of bounds. Granted they have to do a jillion things before the snap concerning reads and calls, but once the snap occurs they do what they do and if it'ds a pass play the ball must come out on time.

If I had to guess now i'd say JG starts & unless the Charlotte game ls close like it was in 2018., Bailey will get in that game if he's what everyone hopes and says he is. If he is he will have surpassed BM and be available if JG stumbles in the Oklahoma game . JP likes to go with experience and low TO rate but will and has made a change at QB.
This is how it plays out in my mind and if Bailey shows out at Oklahoma will be starter vs Furman. If not we could see a QB merry go round like we did in 2019.

I like JG but the thing that scares me about him is he has looked nothing but average at best over the course of his career. He is the type of player that would have you in a dogfight with a lowly team like Georgia State. Then when he plays decent he gets more praise than you'd expect like the end of the Indiana game when he helped in the comeback after his mediocrity throughout the game almost contributed to a loss.

At the end of the day give me a consistent game manager everyday if he can hit the open target, not asked to do too much but a player the other team respects. We don't need a world beater but a player that gets 400 yards against Missouri but struggles to under 100 against Vanderbilt is not reliable (Vandy is just an example because I know defenders will same Vandy wasn't a threat so we ran it). JG seems like an 8-4 QB at best regardless of how good you are in other spots.

Reactions: sechamp2012
JG has the arm talent to make SEC throws but he’s shown again & again to make the same mistakes in games that not even Pruitt could fix.

It’s all in his head and if not now, then when???
I'm always surprised how QBs specifically can seem to put it all together their final year. Just look at Crompton or Dobbs. Dobbs was a very mediocre passer (especially with deep balls) until his last season, then he blew up.

YPA is extremely relevant. One of the best indicators of success.
There many QBs with lower YPA because of thier offensive style. It is a indicator of a good QB but also relies more on the OC....

A west coast QB will usually have a higher comp % and less YPA.....

Look at YPA around the NCAA. And youll see lots of guy lower then JG 8.4 YPA. That managed to throw for more yards and TDs and less ints...

Its part of a bigger picture.....just like raw stats are part of a whole QB picture...ie Ryan Leaf. Great stats. Similar issues as JG..had to see plays open..he just had a better arm

There many QBs with lower YPA because of thier offensive style. It is a indicator of a good QB but also relies more on the OC....

A west coast QB will usually have a higher comp % and less YPA.....

Look at YPA around the NCAA. And youll see lots of guy lower then JG 8.4 YPA. That managed to throw for more yards and TDs and less ints...

Its part of a bigger picture.....just like raw stats are part of a whole QB picture...ie Ryan Leaf. Great stats. Similar issues as JG..had to see plays open..he just had a better arm
That would be more yards per completion, since they are throwing shorter routes (though some of the RPO stuff has changed this - Tua a prime example). But with higher completion%, YPA increases. Agree it is just one piece of the puzzle, but it's one of the best.

Reactions: k-town_king
YPA is extremely relevant. One of the best indicators of success.
Guarantano’s YPA was greatly skewed by throwing to the WR (Jennings) who led the country in yards after catch last year, despite oftentimes having to reach high, low and behind him on a lot of the balls thrown to him.

Guarantano’s YPA was greatly skewed by throwing to the WR (Jennings) who led the country in yards after catch last year, despite oftentimes having to reach high, low and behind him on a lot of the balls thrown to him.
Agreed JJ helped his YPA. Though every QB gets help from some stud receiver, though maybe not to the degree JJ did.

Did he really lead the country in YAC? I know, at some point, he led in broken tackles. But Jeudy and Ruggs had craaazy YAC numbers. When Tua was playing, he only threw for like 35% of his total passing yards. Guy was throwing 6 yard quuckies and hus receivers were going for dozens more.

Looking at the stats, JJ was 6th just in the SEC in total YAC and 10th in YAC% in the conference. A couple were RBs iirc, so more like 8th among receievers.

Not sure where you came up with leading the nation in YAC.

Agreed JJ helped his YPA. Though every QB gets help from some stud receiver, though maybe not to the degree JJ did.

Did he really lead the country in YAC? I know, at some point, he led in broken tackles. But Jeudy and Ruggs had craaazy YAC numbers. When Tua was playing, he only threw for like 35% of his total passing yards. Guy was throwing 6 yard quuckies and hus receivers were going for dozens more.
The Bama qbs and Burrow got a much higher percentage of yac yards than JG. That is a fact.

May have misspoken. Think it was yards after contact as a receiver that Jennings led the nation in as opposed to yards after catch. Point stands though.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
May have misspoken. Think it was yards after contact as a receiver that Jennings led the nation in as opposed to yards after catch. Point stands though.
Point doesn't stand. The top qbs all had more yac.

JG had a good ypa. One of the best in the country. No way you can minimize that.

It's one way he showed improvement. When he was 60 something percent passing all we heard was "but low ypa." Now it doesn't matter? Lmao

Looking at the stats, JJ was 6th just in the SEC in total YAC and 10th in YAC% in the conference. A couple were RBs iirc, so more like 8th among receievers.

Not sure where you came up with leading the nation in YAC.
Recalled hearing one of the announcers mention it during one of the later games in the season.

Reactions: KBVol and sjt18
Point doesn't stand. The top qbs all had more yac.

JG had a good ypa. One of the best in the country. No way you can minimize that.

It's one way he showed improvement. When he was 60 something percent passing all we heard was "but low ypa." Now it doesn't matter? Lmao
Top qbs...more YAC??

Herbert, Eason, Love, Ehlinger, Trask. All had lower YPA and better seasons.

Keep hanging your hat on YPA

I have bled orange all my life, and I have been as frustrated with Gaurantano as anybody has been. I just hope he proves all y’all wrong. The guy got handed the crappiest hand at Tennessee. Freshman year different OC, sophomore same story, etc. if you know football you know having to go through that much turnover is hard. He’s also given everything he has to Tennessee so I just hope he proves nearly all of our fan base wrong. From what I’ve seen he has the arm talent and accuracy to succeed at this level, but his head gets in his way. That to me is due to going through so much turnover.

I have bled orange all my life, and I have been as frustrated with Gaurantano as anybody has been. I just hope he proves all y’all wrong. The guy got handed the crappiest hand at Tennessee. Freshman year different OC, sophomore same story, etc. if you know football you know having to go through that much turnover is hard. He’s also given everything he has to Tennessee so I just hope he proves nearly all of our fan base wrong. From what I’ve seen he has the arm talent and accuracy to succeed at this level, but his head gets in his way. That to me is due to going through so much turnover.
I honestly hope he turns it around...if he does. It mean UT is winning games..but different OCs dont change bad habits ofnholding the ball to long and being unable to lead recievers..thise are trait he has never displayed consistently after 4 years of college and high school...

Ill gladly eat crow on the way to the SEC championship..

VN Store

Back