Tell me something good Z updates?

On a bright note, if there can be one, the Vols backcourt did a very good job last night vs Arkansas post ZZ. Also good to see the big guys play with a bit more intention. And if ZZ is gone, his absence just might spark the team enough to power through the SEC Championship. Go Vols.

Mashack’s development as a PG in less than a month has been amazing. He looked like he was uncomfortable just touching the ball then and now he’s attacking the paint as well as anybody has all season. He’s not quite at ZZ’s level getting to the rim, but he’s a viable threat when he’s there even with rim protectors meeting him at the rim.

Pearl is going to turn up the defensive pressure on Saturday. Santi, Jahmai, and JJJ will be challenged. The staff will have a plan to counter Barn’s pressure.
Auburn is in free fall and is barely in the field. They need a W badly.

I had one like it, but turned out to be sprained ligaments, very painful and I couldnt walk for 2 weeks - hoping its not the ACL
I did the same exact thing. Landed cutting to the right and left knee exploded. ACL MCL and meniscus. Took part of my patellar tendon and rebuilt ligaments 25 years ago. I feel really bad for ZZ. They’ve made great strides medically since then so hopefully will be quicker road back than I had. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for ZZ!

I've watched enough football to know that this is mostly likely an ACL injury. You see no contact ACL tears all the time in football. Usually takes a year to recover I'm assuming this is the same in basketball? Which would mean we wouldn't have ZZ back for majority of the season. This blows so bad!

Reactions: Volfan1000
Mashack’s development as a PG in less than a month has been amazing. He looked like he was uncomfortable just touching the ball then and now he’s attacking the paint as well as anybody has all season. He’s not quite at ZZ’s level getting to the rim, but he’s a viable threat when he’s there even with rim protectors meeting him at the rim.

Pearl is going to turn up the defensive pressure on Saturday. Santi, Jahmai, and JJJ will be challenged. The staff will have a plan to counter Barn’s pressure.

Yep. And that could be a good thing for Tennessee ton prep for March.

I've watched enough football to know that this is mostly likely an ACL injury. You see no contact ACL tears all the time in football. Usually takes a year to recover I'm assuming this is the same in basketball? Which would mean we wouldn't have ZZ back for majority of the season. This blows so bad!

Yes. So sad for the Zig.

If it all turns out to be true, perhaps his best opinion will be to redshirt the 2023-24 season. Then, hopefully, can come back near 100% for the following two seasons.

I will just assume the worst until we hear otherwise. However, I keep seeing people talking about the length of time it takes to recover from an ACL injury. My understanding is that there have been significant strides, even in just the last few years, that cut back recovery time significantly. I know that he also has to get back in plane shape though. Are there any surgeons are physicians on the board that can speak to the recovery time for the modern era?

If it's just a standard ACL he could be back by mid season next year. Those things heal fast nowadays. Amari Rodgers famously only missed 5 months. ZZ seems to have the personality to attack rehab and get back asap. I would bet the house he will be playing next season.

I will just assume the worst until we hear otherwise. However, I keep seeing people talking about the length of time it takes to recover from an ACL injury. My understanding is that there have been significant strides, even in just the last few years, that cut back recovery time significantly. I know that he also has to get back in plane shape though. Are there any surgeons are physicians on the board that can speak to the recovery time for the modern era?
Jameson Williams tore his ACL in the Natty in January and was back practicing in November and played his first NFL game in December. So about 10-12 months and that was to be ready to play an NFL game... ZZ might be ready for the start of the SEC season next year if it's ACL.

The thing you have to consider is the position he plays and the way he plays it. Recovery times are not cookie-cutter for every player. If it were Awaka, I’d feel safe believing he could be back in 8 months. But ZZ’s game is entirely predicated on speed, stopping, cutting, and planting. He gets anlmost horizontal to the ground sometimes. Even if he is back to running and cutting by December, the mental hurdle of trusting the knee takes even longer. Without his speed and stop-and-go, ZZ is just a neutered undersized PG with severe limitations.

I’d bet heavily against him making much of an impact, next season as of right now. We need to be in the market for two PGs in the portal, or at least one who can start immediately, and be prepping Dilione for backup minutes at that spot, immediately. Edwards, too, though I think Dilione has the better PG skills as a combo guard. Anything we get from ZZ, next year, should be considered a bonus, and being totally unselfish as a fan, he probably just needs to take a redshirt as much as I hate to say that.

The "good news" is that the staff has additional time to pull out their list of potential portal PG's to go after to sign in the off season. No matter what type of "damage" it is. TN has to have some options for part of the early season next year or worse if it is an injury that requires more rehab and longer heal time that would keep ZZ out even longer. If heal time to return full speed could be up to a year that would be Feb of 24. Why not medical redshirt?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tenacjim
Between Santi, Key (when back), and 3J the ball handling should be serviceable if not outstanding. The interesting thing will be if Edwards gets more time going forward. If he doesn't, the writing is on the wall.

The thing you have to consider is the position he plays and the way he plays it. Recovery times are not cookie-cutter for every player. If it were Awaka, I’d feel safe believing he could be back in 8 months. But ZZ’s game is entirely predicated on speed, stopping, cutting, and planting. He gets anlmost horizontal to the ground sometimes. Even if he is back to running and cutting by December, the mental hurdle of trusting the knee takes even longer. Without his speed and stop-and-go, ZZ is just a neutered undersized PG with severe limitations.

I’d bet heavily against him making much of an impact, next season as of right now. We need to be in the market for two PGs in the portal, or at least one who can start immediately, and be prepping Dilione for backup minutes at that spot, immediately. Edwards, too, though I think Dilione has the better PG skills as a combo guard. Anything we get from ZZ, next year, should be considered a bonus, and being totally unselfish as a fan, he probably just needs to take a redshirt as much as I hate to say that.

Unless there’s a bunch of attrition I don’t think you can take 2, but the silver lining is that you should be able to attract a really good PG now without having to sell them on playing time with Zeigler here.

Unless there’s a bunch of attrition I don’t think you can take 2, but the silver lining is that you should be able to attract a really good PG now without having to sell them on playing time with Zeigler here.
Yeah, that’s why I included the caveat about Dilione.

Although losing ZZ is a gut punch, in so many ways, the only silver lining I can see this year, is that when ZZ drives the defense doesn’t often collapse. They know he’s not really a danger to really drive to the hoop, so they stay in their lanes, steal passes, keep on their man, and one big dude will try to block the shot if he chooses to take it. Of course sometimes we get a beautiful floater or blow by, but usually the ball goes out to a wing and because that guy’s not open, we pass it around the circle and the whole thing starts over, usually with a last second deep 3 by ZZ or Santi that makes for an easy rebound and transition for our opponent. Last night, after ZZ left, I couldn’t believe my eyes but I actually saw Arkansas’ defense collapse when Santi drove the ball. It left wide open looks and gave the whole offense more room to move. Of course, it really is a silver lining to a really dark cloud. If we turn the ball over 20+ times at the Barn, we may find out how really dark that cloud is. God bless you ZZ, you are the soul of this team.

Last edited:
I don’t see it. We have one game remaining. They will roll with Santi running the point
No they won't ... Edwards will start to see some minutes ... unless Key makes it back soon.
I expect the PG to be done by committee and Edwards will be there to provide rest minutes and pick up slack when fouls are an issue until Key is back healthy.

Anybody with the background to analyze the most probable injury based on the way he landed then cut. I think I once read there are four ligaments plus the ever present meniscus. Unfortunately, his cut and HH's cut SEEMED to be in my mind;s eye very similar. Also, he already had a sleeve on his leg, any correlation?

Just to know could someone rank by NORMAL recovery ranges for ACL, PCL, MCL and LCL(?) I think it was when torn.

No good news here. Didn't look bad until his reaction. That's usually what I watch. I think that's what everyone is going on. I have torn both ACLs and neither of them required me to have to one leg it off the court/field. He is out for the season and might not be doing much until next fall.

I tore my ACL without contact (foot planted and body twisted). Surprisingly I had very little pain at first and the knee just felt weird but the pop I felt was very noticeable. Later the meniscus damage acerbated by the instability was the painful part. Not sure if there are other possibilities that are more painful and less serious or was he reacting to a pop knowing what it probably was. He was wearing some type of leg sheeve on that leg, did he already have some problem with that knee?

Yes. So sad for the Zig.

If it all turns out to be true, perhaps his best opinion will be to redshirt the 2023-24 season. Then, hopefully, can come back near 100% for the following two seasons.
A redshirt would be good. Even though the knee is 100% (that is based upon the strength of the knee), it takes a while mentally to trust the fix. He relies on his speed, quickness, and cutting ability that will take time. They have made great strides with ACLs and he will have all he needs to recover.

VN Store

Back