Team News (current roster)

No, he certainly isn't the savior (didn't intend to insinuate that), but missing one of your best rebounders for a team that struggles to rebound the basketball is significantly noteworthy. He isn't singlehandedly going to make Tennessee a top-50 rebounding team, no, but he can certainly make an impact in that area of concern.

I don't disagree with your take on his offense, but I think you're underselling his defense.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the rebounding. We are 156th in defensive rebounding percentage and 12th in offensive rebounding percentage

Barnes just rewarding Uros for his effort in practice/as a teammate/etc while forcing BHH and Aidoo to "earn" their minutes. Won't be surprised if by middle of SEC play Uros isn't playing at all.

I think Barnes is motivating all three of them with this strategy. BHH and Aidoo must earn their minutes by working harder, as you say. But it also motivates Uros. He either improves or he gets dropped from the rotation after BHH and Aidoo improve as the season goes. Uros can never then say that Barnes didn't give him a chance if he is dropped. Uros then has a decision to make about next season. OR, if he could improve somehow because of getting more game reps, then you have something nice and unexpected - bonus. So this strategy is a win/win from my observation perch.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the rebounding. We are 156th in defensive rebounding percentage and 12th in offensive rebounding percentage

We can't be elite with that kind of defensive rebounding. I think it willl improve for two reasons: 1) get JJJ back, and 2) BHH will develop iinto a better rebounder as the season goes, as will a couple of others - Mashack, Powell, Aidoo. Fulky and Uros are what they are.

This is what I think it happening as well.
I tend to believe what Barns has said which is playing time is earned by consistent practice performance. Uros is producing better in practice vs games whereas BHH and Adoo are still learning how to consistently bring it every day. Barns also said Uros is trying too hard to score in games as he thinks he will get benched without scoring more

No, he certainly isn't the savior (didn't intend to insinuate that), but missing one of your best rebounders for a team that struggles to rebound the basketball is significantly noteworthy. He isn't singlehandedly going to make Tennessee a top-50 rebounding team, no, but he can certainly make an impact in that area of concern.

I don't disagree with your take on his offense, but I think you're underselling his defense.

I think you have a good point. Been mulling around how we get picked on with screens and switches with bigs on guards.

I also was somewhat concerned with our ability to handle the switch everything defense of Villanova team. But, that could just be a mature team playing a immature team.

As long as we peak in March, I’m happy.

Preface: I just googled and looked at the first site or two for "ncaa college team stats" and that's where I got these, sorry if they're not 100% accurate.

The difference between 95th in RPG and Top 50 is less than 2RPG.

The difference between 206th in DRB and Top 50 is less than 3RPG.

We're 40th in Total RB Rate.

We're 131st in DR% with a 3% difference between us and the Top 50.

There are a few comments stating that JJJ wouldn't immediately as an individual make us an overall drastically improved rebounding team. I actually think those differences in %s and RPG -could- be made up by a single player. Will it make us a top 10 rebounding team? Probably not, but we could easily become a Top 50 rebounding team with JJJ on the court. Not saying it's gonna happen, just that it is in the realm of possibility.

Disclaimer: Repeating that these stats were from a couple of quick google search results and if they're horribly inaccurate then my whole point goes out the window.

I tend to believe what Barns has said which is playing time is earned by consistent practice performance. Uros is producing better in practice vs games whereas BHH and Adoo are still learning how to consistently bring it every day. Barns also said Uros is trying too hard to score in games as he thinks he will get benched without scoring more

He really said that about Uros? I am missing that observation. I actually see him as reluctant to score. He does not seem to aggressively hunt shots. He catches and immediately wants to pass. Which I do not view as a bad thing because it shows that he knows his limitations.

Reactions: cardvolfan
JJJ is making the trip to Boulder and NYC. He also has a modified splint on the middle finger of his right hand. Take that how you will.
I take that as terrible news since he’s left handed and all reports have been the injury is on his shooting hand.

He really said that about Uros? I am missing that observation. I actually see him as reluctant to score. He does not seem to aggressively hunt shots. He catches and immediately wants to pass. Which I do not view as a bad thing because it shows that he knows his limitations.
View CRB’s post Presbyterian game interview and see if you understood him the same as myself

Reactions: therickbol
I'd be a little encouraged if he'd at least get a few rebounds each game. Rebound and distribute would help a lot.

Reactions: walkenvol
I'd be a little encouraged if he'd at least get a few rebounds each game. Rebound and distribute would help a lot.
He’s definitely not producing at a level justifying his current minutes. We’ve lived through the JG is by far the best practice QB for a couple seasons. Eventually you have to produce under the bright lights or your minutes have to go elsewhere regardless of how great you are at practice

My dream scenario: BHH and the 🦒's minutes, slowly increase, until they more than less take all of UP's minutes around March and for once, UT peaks at the right time. Because both these kids will play in the NBA, I have no doubt. Chandler and ZZ are already getting on the job training, BHH too, really. But, I think Aidoo is too good not to work himself into double digit minutes in March and yeah, I'm basing this off one game against a bad team, plus his AAU/high school highlights. You gotta see it, he's going to play in the NBA, I do. Anyway, this is my dream scenario, the 3 freshmen blossoming into the future NBA players they are, while the veterans mold them into a team that plays it's best ball in March and hopefully, April.

For those posters that get all worked up whenever Uros is in the games, don’t forget that as great as these freshmen are, the last 2 years COVID has really disrupted their junior and senior years. They aren’t going to be as far along as normal incoming classes. The Deacon’s got this. Calm down.

VN Store

Back