Team News (current roster)

Main way I see us going beyond 8 regular rotation would be if we are truly pressuring near full court and really pushing our defensive mindset. And then, only if there are 8+ guys who can really contribute in that way.
You could see some platooning. Without much of a preseason it takes away a lot of chances to experiment.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I watched some practice videos, and I think that Pember has grown. He is listed at 6-9 on ESPN and other sites (presumably from last year), but I guess is now listed at 6-10 on our more updated website/roster. I think he could be even slightly taller than that possibly. He looks to be at least two inches taller than ON. He still needs to be a little quicker laterally as he did get blown by a couple times on defense in the video I watched.

I watched some practice videos, and I think that Pember has grown. He is listed at 6-9 on ESPN and other sites (presumably from last year), but I guess is now listed at 6-10 on our more updated website/roster. I think he could be even slightly taller than that possibly. He looks to be at least two inches taller than ON. He still needs to be a little quicker laterally as he did get blown by a couple times on defense in the video I watched.
He's 6'10" minimum. Plavsic is 7'1" and Pember is right at 2 inches less.

I have always believed that he was signed for his long term potential with expected developmental time required. Instant impact never seemed in play. His late growth and development could pay off if he can combine the handle of a smaller guy in a stretch role. Won't be able to know until the growth rate stabilizes and repetition can pay off. Like all gambles we have to wait to see how the risk/reward gamble pays off. An extra year for him could mean more for him than anyone else on the team. Could not..... But with the depth we have we have the time to see. Gaines for different reasons is in a similar situation. They can have a playing redshirt season if they will buy in and not get discouraged.

Tennessee is cruising towards the start of the regular season in a little less than two weeks now. The Vols will open up with a three team event against Charlotte and VCU. The schedule shows a wide game before the next game on Dec. 12 with Cincinnati but there will be an announcement shortly about two games that will take place in the first week of December. Speaking of that Cincinnati game on the 12th, what happens to it now that the football game with Texas A&M has been moved to that date?
One athletic department official indicated to us earlier this week that there was a good chance that it is moved. However, others we have spoken to aren’t so sure, feeling that the reduced attendance makes keeping the basketball game in place feasible. That would seem logical though there might be some issues on the University’s side with staffing two events on the same day, or potentially even simultaneously.
-VQ

Do you feel basketball team has final four potential? How do they compare with past teams?

Yes IMO. I think it has a chance to be as good as the 31 team. It's overall more talented but that's b/c of the potential of Johnson and Springer. I don't think either one of them is going to be junior Grant Williams level productive as freshmen, but can they be really good right away? I don't know. They don't have to carry the team like some superstar freshman do, like we so often see at UK or Duke but they have to be very good.

- Rob Lewis

Guys like Vescovi have the savvy and quickness (and strength, in this case) to beat you off the dribble, but not the elite quickness to always stay in front of you on D. Lots of people have underestimated this guy and what he did last year, but it was exceptional. I don't ever see him being a shut down type of defender, but he will get more than his fair share of deflections and steals. Don't be shocked if he leads the team in both categories.

Guys like Vescovi have the savvy and quickness (and strength, in this case) to beat you off the dribble, but not the elite quickness to always stay in front of you on D. Lots of people have underestimated this guy and what he did last year, but it was exceptional. I don't ever see him being a shut down type of defender, but he will get more than his fair share of deflections and steals. Don't be shocked if he leads the team in both categories.
He reminds me of Tony Parker with the ball in his hand.

Steve Nash type player without an offensive cast last year that would've helped.

VN Store

Back