Team News (current roster)

Came off wrong.
Jahmai? The guard we just offered lol

Do you mean Harrison Ingram? Because the 4 we're targeting are Harrison Ingram, Kennedy Chandler, Paulo Banchero, and Jabari Smith.

Besides, we don't need anyone to leave for the NBA early to get all 4. So I do NOT hope Springer and Johnson leave. We lose Pons, Fulky, and Anosike for sure, and I'm fairly confident we'll see a Gaines, Pember, ORN, etc. transfer.

I kind of hope we lose both Keon and Jaden.

Really got my hopes up for Chandler, Jahmai, Banchero and Smith. Those 4 with Vescovi and JJJ, walker, etc. would be sure final 4

Yes im excited for this years team, just expressing an opinion is all.
Yeah losing both Jaden and Keon both means they met or exceeded expectations. That along with getting more players drafted is a huge selling point for our program for future recruits. I think UT solidifies itself as a SEC basketball power for a long time after Rick Barnes retires.

Yeah, getting them to be one-and-dones would be cool and all, but you know what would be even COOLER and MORE AWESOME?

This roster in 2021-2022:
-Keon Johnson
-Jaden Springer
-Josiah Jordan-James
-Corey Walker Jr.
-Victor Bailey
-Santiago Vescovi
-Paulo Banchero
-Kennedy Chandler
-Harrison Ingram
-Jabari Smith
-Uros Plavsic
-Drew Pember
-Davonte Gaines

That's way more awesome, IMO.

EDIT: I realize this is a dream scenario and it would be difficult to please all those elite players but it’s fun to think about.

Last edited:
Are you saying the only way we get those 4 (who is Jahmai?) is if Keon and Jaden leave early? If we were to get those 4 guys, they'll be signed, sealed, and delivered long before Keon and Jaden announce any intentions of leaving early.
That is assuming all four commit and sign in the early period. If any of them waited until spring to sign, then they would have the benefit of knowing Keon and Jaden’s intentions.

Reactions: wtmvol
Do you mean Harrison Ingram? Because the 4 we're targeting are Harrison Ingram, Kennedy Chandler, Paulo Banchero, and Jabari Smith.

Besides, we don't need anyone to leave for the NBA early to get all 4. So I do NOT hope Springer and Johnson leave. We lose Pons, Fulky, and Anosike for sure, and I'm fairly confident we'll see a Gaines, Pember, ORN, etc. transfer.
So is that Jahmai Mashack dude a backup option? Cause I really like his game.

Reactions: AngryButchJones

Jahmai Mashack, 6-5 190 lb. SG/SF from Etiwanda HS in California. We just recently offered and he seems genuinely excited about the offer, saying Tennessee will “definitely get a visit” once restrictions are lifted. Has offers from Arizona, Colorado, Louisville, Oklahoma, and Texas, among others. Ranked #66 overall by 247 and #48 by Rivals. Better defensive player than offensive player, right now, but has a lot of upside. Rick Barnes personally called and offered, apparently, and we have only given out a dozen, or so, offers for 2021, so I don't think they would turn him away, necessarily, but they also likely know he wants to visit before he decides anything related to Tennessee.

FWIW, his brother played football at Arizona.

Last edited:
Came off wrong.
Jahmai? The guard we just offered lol
Sorry - forgot about him. Yeah he'd be a great addition too.

I still don't see why Jaden and Keon leaving early is a prerequisite for landing our main targets. Banchero and Smith are frontcourt players, and we definitely will be losing Fulky, Anoskie, and Pons.

KC will almost certainly sign in the early signing period, so really no chance he will be deterred.

So that leaves Harrison Ingram and Jahmai. It's possible I guess that if they wait until Spring that we could lose them due to Keon/Jaden returning, but honestly I'll go with bird in hand in that scenario.

Sorry - forgot about him. Yeah he'd be a great addition too.

I still don't see why Jaden and Keon leaving early is a prerequisite for landing our main targets. Banchero and Smith are frontcourt players, and we definitely will be losing Fulky, Anoskie, and Pons.

KC will almost certainly sign in the early signing period, so really no chance he will be deterred.

So that leaves Harrison Ingram and Jahmai. It's possible I guess that if they wait until Spring that we could lose them due to Keon/Jaden returning, but honestly I'll go with bird in hand in that scenario.

At first I thought we wouldn’t have the room, but mookie explained it really well.

As did you, thank you

Reactions: wtmvol
Yeah, getting them to be one-and-dones would be cool and all, but you know what would be even COOLER and MORE AWESOME?

-Keon Johnson
-Jaden Springer
-Josiah Jordan-James
-Corey Walker Jr.
-Victor Bailey
-Santiago Vescovi
-Paulo Banchero
-Kennedy Chandler
-Harrison Ingram
-Jabari Smith
-Uros Plavsic
-Drew Pember
-Davonte Gaines

EDIT: I realize this is a dream scenario and it would be difficult to please all those elite players but it’s fun to think about.
That would be insane. 7 5-stars and 3 4-stars lol

-Keon Johnson
-Jaden Springer
-Josiah Jordan-James
-Corey Walker Jr.
-Victor Bailey
-Santiago Vescovi
-Paulo Banchero
-Kennedy Chandler
-Harrison Ingram
-Jabari Smith
-Uros Plavsic
-Drew Pember
-Davonte Gaines

Be like UK from a few years ago. The two line up squad.

Springer
Keon
JJJ
Banchero
Smith

Chandler
Vescovi
Bailey
Walker
Ingram

I don’t even know what the lineups would be nor would I care but that would fun to watch. EVERYONE GETS A BREATHER

Reactions: sport3500
Be like UK from a few years ago. The two line up squad.

Springer
Keon
JJJ
Banchero
Smith

Chandler
Vescovi
Bailey
Walker
Ingram

I don’t even know what the lineups would be nor would I care but that would fun to watch. EVERYONE GETS A BREATHER

Call me whatever you want but I don’t want to be anything like Kentucky. I am excited about this recruiting to a degree but I will be more than happy to get 1-2 of those highly rated guys and miss on the others. I don’t want any part of the Kentucky/cal style of recruiting

Reactions: LeannaVol
Call me whatever you want but I don’t want to be anything like Kentucky. I am excited about this recruiting to a degree but I will be more than happy to get 1-2 of those highly rated guys and miss on the others. I don’t want any part of the Kentucky/cal style of recruiting

Getting top talent doesn't automatically make someone Kentucky. Many on this board thought Josiah Jordan-James would be a one-and-done. He wasn't. Some think Keon or Springer will be a one-and-done. I bet you at least one of them stays. Not to mention I guarantee if the dream scenario happens and we do land all 4 of Banchero/Chandler/Ingram/Smith I highly doubt they are all one-and-dones.

Can we stop being afraid of securing top talent? That's FOUR top 10 players in the 2021 class. You really going to say "No thank you" to any of them if they all decide they want to be here?

That is assuming all four commit and sign in the early period. If any of them waited until spring to sign, then they would have the benefit of knowing Keon and Jaden’s intentions.
Not necessarily, signing day is April and players can wait on a decision until June.

I wouldn’t call any 4-Star a backup, but for all intents yes. He isn’t *the* priority. The four I listed is probably Barnes ideal class. But that class will be difficult to pull. So there are other players we’ve offered that would fit in well if we miss on some.

I think it’s very possible they’ve got 5-6 “priorities” on their board...percentages say you aren’t going to go 4/4, so stretching that board to 6-7 guys increases your chances of landing a full class of guys the staff really likes.

Can we stop being afraid of securing top talent? That's FOUR top 10 players in the 2021 class. You really going to say "No thank you" to any of them if they all decide they want to be here?
maybe it has nothing to do with being afraid of securing talent and everything to do with

1) seeing that too many one and dones were a serious issue for Barnes at Texas and many have stated that’s what ultimately ended his tenure there

2) Barnes got us to #1 in the land without recruiting any top 50 players.

3) Kentucky and duke alike have had little tourney success in recent years with such recruiting

4) Villanova is the model for what I consider to be how to recruit and sustain a great basketball program

5) and I’d love to feel a personal connection to our players and 1-2 year players just don’t provide that imo

so This thinking has nothing to do With “fear” and evening time do with what history has taught us

Last edited:
Not necessarily, signing day is April and players can wait on a decision until June.
But they have to declare in April. Now it is always possible they could return by opting out in June, but the incoming recruits who waited until spring to sign have more information to base their decision off of than they did in November, at that point.

But they have to declare in April. Now it is always possible they could return by opting out in June, but the incoming recruits who waited until spring to sign have more information to base their decision off of than they did in November, at that point.
Agree, just saying final intentions wouldn’t be known...way more kids declare and return each year than declare and stay in.

maybe it has nothing to do with being afraid of securing talent and everything to do with

1) seeing that too many one and dones were a serious issue for Barnes at Texas and many have stated that’s what ultimately ended his tenure there

3) Kentucky and duke alike have had little tourney success in recent years with such recruiting

4) Villanova is the model for what I consider to be how to recruit and sustain a great basketball program

5) and I’d love to feel a personal connection to our players and 1-2 year players just don’t provide that imo

so This thinking has nothing to do With “fear” and evening time do with what history has taught us
Nunbers 4 and 5 are what sway me towards more of a blend or balance in talent and role/developmental players. All youth and talent isn't a recipe for success, historically speaking, but talent is a necessity.

I really just wish the NBA and the NCAA would adopt the college baseball model for professionalism. Make the deadline for announcing your NBA intentions the Saturday after the NCAAT title game (early April), push the spring signing period back to the end of April, and eliminate the rule allowing kids to return to school if they declare for the NBA. That rule hamstrings coaches and programs so bad for two months with regards to marginal NBA talents.

Reactions: BruinVol
Agree, just saying final intentions wouldn’t be known...way more kids declare and return each year than declare and stay in.
Totally agree, but HS seniors would have a much better idea of a player's standing after seeing him play for a year vs not. Like you said, it's obviously not a slam dunk case in each instance, but it gives them an idea on certain prospects.

I can understand the concern about talent leaving early, but I don't think chasing elite players automatically translates to becoming Kentucky. I can't think of any other school that runs their program like Kentucky. I mean not even Duke has quite the turnover that Kentucky has on a yearly/annual basis. Calipari attracts a certain type of player, as he has built the Kentucky brand on the fundamental idea of coming and going as quickly as possible.

Barnes isn't the same type of coach nor recruiter as Calipari. I trust Barnes to know what type of young man he wants in his program.

I loved the Grant Williams, Jordan Bone, Admiral Schofield, and Kyle Alexander team as much as anyone else on this board but that team was truly one-of-a-kind. You are not going to be able to take 4 under the radar, 3-star prospects and replicate that success repeatedly.

But that's obviously just my opinion. I would prefer to secure 4 Top-10 players any day of the week over any one else.

Getting top talent doesn't automatically make someone Kentucky. Many on this board thought Josiah Jordan-James would be a one-and-done. He wasn't. Some think Keon or Springer will be a one-and-done. I bet you at least one of them stays. Not to mention I guarantee if the dream scenario happens and we do land all 4 of Banchero/Chandler/Ingram/Smith I highly doubt they are all one-and-dones.

To that point, Barnes recruits specifically to character as well as talent. I will be more than happy to have the talent, but 5-star character is not quite so easy to get these days.

I'm really proud of the type of young men Coach Barns recruits. Talent and ability to grow for sure but just as important is the potential to be a solid teammate rather than a me-centered "star." I'm pretty sure the kids being recruited know what type of players Coach wants as well as the type of player he doesn't/won't recruit. I'm good with that all day long! Character matters! :)

Last edited:

There was very few people that thought any such thing about JJJ.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Tennessee may have a secret weapon on their men’s basketball roster. At least, according to rising sophomore guard Josiah-Jordan James. James spoke with the media via a virtual press conference on Friday afternoon, and during the session he was asked about Oregon transfer guard Victor Bailey Jr. becoming eligible this season after sitting out last year. According to James, the former Oregon sixth man and former four-star prospect is being undervalued across the country.

“I honestly think Victor Bailey is the best-kept secret in all of college basketball,” James said. “He’s done some things that I’ve only seen pros do. He definitely brings a lot to this team. Going against him every day in practice definitely made me a lot better, and I’m excited to do it again this year. We definitely bring the best out of each other.”

...James thinks he’ll make a bigger impact than what outsiders are predicting. Why? Because Bailey apparently has elite athleticism and speed. “Just his athleticism, it’s just on a whole 'nother level,” James explained. “His shot-making ability and his speed is out of this world. He can get down the court in no time. He knows that, and he knows what he brings to the table, and he’s excited. I’m excited for him.”
James Calls Teammate "Best-Kept Secret" in All of CBB | RTI

Last edited:

VN Store

Back