Team News (current roster)

A 25 minute a game sixth man is not really a bench player. He basicly plays starter minutes. Turner did this a couple of years ago.
He did, but at that time he wasn't consistently the best at anything on the team. When it's 1s vs 1s you want your best on the floor not watching from the bench.

I took the bait and looked up the box score for JJJ. Very average line 8pts 6rebounds in 30 minutes. I think he will have better lines with fewer minutes moving forward.
Also, 3 assists and 3 steals with only one turnover. Basketball is way more than a game of points and rebounds. That's a pretty stellar line.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
He did, but at that time he wasn't consistently the best at anything on the team. When it's 1s vs 1s you want your best on the floor not watching from the bench.
Yeah, but it seemed like Turner was always out there at the end of the game making the big shot. It's not who starts, it's who finishes. Barnes has enough talented players to get the guys that are on their game closing it out. It could change game to game.

The Vols looked a little smoother on offense against Appalachian State on Tuesday but they’re still struggling to find their groove from the perimeter. Tennessee is shooting just 30% from three at this stage but they look to have the potential to be better.
In talking to people around the program one of the things they’ve been most impressed by has been the early chemistry that this team has developed. Even behind the scenes no one is grumbling about minutes, which are tough to come by, especially on the perimeter.
The Vols have three more games that are essentially warm ups before opening SEC play with what has been a surprisingly good Missouri team. In fact, you can argue that the Vols and Tigers are the best two teams in the league at this early stage.
-VQ

Anybody heard if or when the 2 football players will start practicing with the team?

We really don’t need them, although it sounds like Wideman would make us even more ridiculous deep on the perimeter. Too bad there’s not a 6’7” 265 pound tight end or defensive end with big time basketball skills.

Last edited:
We really don’t need them, although it sounds like Wiseman would make us even more ridiculous deep on the perimeter. Too bad there’s not a 6’7” 265 pound tight end or defensive end with big time basketball skills.
I understand that we don't need them but understand that they are indeed coming, thus my question if anyone knew when they were scheduled to start practicing with the team.

Anybody heard if or when the 2 football players will start practicing with the team?
With the current state of the football team from a Covid standpoint, I don't want any of them anywhere near our basketball team. We don't need them, anyway. Minimize contact with the players we can win with, and minimize exposure risk. Unless you're bringing in Julius Peppers, we don't need the additional help from two kids who really probably need to be focusing on football for their own benefit.

Reactions: Vol49er
With the current state of the football team from a Covid standpoint, I don't want any of them anywhere near our basketball team. We don't need them, anyway. Minimize contact with the players we can win with, and minimize exposure risk. Unless you're bringing in Julius Peppers, we don't need the additional help from two kids who really probably need to be focusing on football for their own benefit.
Once again, it's nothing about whether we need them or not, it's the fact that both were told they'd get to walkon and I was just wondering if anyone had heard when they might show up.

Once again, it's nothing about whether we need them or not, it's the fact that both were told they'd get to walkon and I was just wondering if anyone had heard when they might show up.
I know they were told that, but Covid may prevent that from happening. Things aren't what they were when these two kids committed. A lot has changed in 10 months. They lost valuable practice time with the football which can be made up instead of focusing on basketball. And the basketball team may decide to mitigate the risk of adding in to more potential exposure risks. Things change, and some promises may have to wait or go unfulfilled due to uncontrollable circumstances.

I know they were told that, but Covid may prevent that from happening. Things aren't what they were when these two kids committed. A lot has changed in 10 months. They lost valuable practice time with the football which can be made up instead of focusing on basketball. And the basketball team may decide to mitigate the risk of adding in to more potential exposure risks. Things change, and some promises may have to wait or go unfulfilled due to uncontrollable circumstances.
I don't think these promises are going to go unfulfilled, I'm of the belief that they are indeed going to be on this year's team. You obviously were not the right person to ask.

Good point. Too bad we can’t thin out the organization by eliminating walk-ons and non-essential personnel this season. With the virus festering, any of the 13 deep scholarship players could potentially crack the starting lineup at least once.

Reactions: cncchris33
I don't think these promises are going to go unfulfilled, I'm of the belief that they are indeed going to be on this year's team. You obviously were not the right person to ask.
Take a hint you dingus. No news on the subject, that's why you haven't heard anything. As cncchris politely explained, there's no reason to think they will be part of the team. Answer: not happening unless something changes.

“Dingus”. LOL. I’m going to have to steal that and substitute it for my go to “Princess” now and then. I had a boss that used “Princess” all the time. He’d also use “eff you and the horse that you rode in on”. I never really understood that one.

Take a hint you dingus. No news on the subject, that's why you haven't heard anything. As cncchris politely explained, there's no reason to think they will be part of the team. Answer: not happening unless something changes.
I'm not sure of Wideman as I've no idea how his recruiting went but I'm well aware of Beckwith's and I would be surprised if both were not going to be on the team. You and him interjecting your opinion that it's not happening is your opinion, good for you, I'm asking if anyone has seen them around the facility now that football season is over. I could care less what you or him think about them being on the team FWIW dingus.

I'm not sure of Wideman as I've no idea how his recruiting went but I'm well aware of Beckwith's and I would be surprised if both were not going to be on the team. You and him interjecting your opinion that it's not happening is your opinion, good for you, I'm asking if anyone has seen them around the facility now that football season is over. I could care less what you or him think about them being on the team FWIW dingus.

Beckwith would immediately overtake both Pons and Vescovi for best hair. 59C120BC-2285-492B-B924-ECD76C4FB4FF.jpeg

Beckwith would immediately overtake both Pons and Vescovi for best hair. View attachment 333109
Hehe, he's definitely got a head full. He's not ready for this level in bb but he's bigger than JJJ, Pons and Anosike at 6'5 235. He's got better handles than Pons, is faster than all 3 and can really jump. I don't know how long he sticks with basketball but I could see him developing into something in 2-3 years. My guess is that he'll eventually give it up but it's by far his favorite sport to play.

Hehe, he's definitely got a head full. He's not ready for this level in bb but he's bigger than JJJ, Pons and Anosike at 6'5 235. He's got better handles than Pons, is faster than all 3 and can really jump. I don't know how long he sticks with basketball but I could see him developing into something in 2-3 years. My guess is that he'll eventually give it up but it's by far his favorite sport to play.

Seems like Coach Cornbread can’t figure out how to use Wideman’s or Beckwith’s talents. Much like BuzzCut leaving Kamara out of the backfield.

I think I’ve read that Wideman’s best sport is basketball.

Last edited:
Seems like Coach Cornbread can’t figure out how to use Wideman’s or Beckwith’s talents. Much like BuzzCut leaving Kamara out the backfield.

I think I’ve read that Wideman’s best sport is basketball.
Dee was hurt for most of the year, I think Wideman was really raw and a bit thin to do much as a FR in football. Dee may end up being our starting RB next season depending on what happens with Gray. I was surprised he ended up at RB as I always thought he'd be a bigger faster stronger J Jennings in the slot. His legs are tree trunks though and he's physical is why he ended up at RB I feel.

Sorry you don't like the answer (admittedly, my opinion), but the answer is based in sound logic.

Wideman is the kind of athlete, that can excel at both sports. D.Wade and LeBron were watching one of Wideman's AAU games and gave everybody dap and made the "oh, sh!t" face after a couple of Wideman's dunks. I know dunks are not everything, but Wideman was a high 4-star basketball player, inside the top 110 players overall. I think Wideman has the skills to play pro in either sport, he just needs to concentrate on one, not both, imo. Still, with his athleticism, he could do both, but it will be ungodly hard. As bad as he was underused in football, he may be better off concentrating on basketball

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back