Targeting, Overtime Rule Changes

it's just easy to blame Saban for everything wrong in the NCAA when you can't beat him.....

But a lot of folks don't like the format. Now we don't like sudden death, and we don't like 5 OT games.....

I say keep the format but eliminate FGs during the OT period. No team wins until a TD is scored.

Got you on the gist of your post. I pretty much agree with you. Just want to say I don't have anything against Saban. I do dimly recall him whining on the issue but not the details. I don't hate Bama either. If the Ut is going to compete with them, we need to be proactive in going after quality HCs instead of tiptoeing and BSing ourselves. If we want to beat Bama, we need to field teams that can. So I don't hate Saban or Bama cause we, not they, are to blame for our ineptitude.

All that aside, I'm glad to see NCAA attention to the targeting rule especially even if it is just for speculation for now.

The simple fact is teams should not be playing 6/7 overtime periods. I believe a mandatory 2 point conversion attempt on any touchdown in all OT's periods would probably end the game after one or two OT periods.

Reactions: alaVOL
I'm sure they'll do a wonderful job of screwing it all up..."hey, just what we do"...we live in a world of extremes...one way or the other...and yes something needs to be done about targeting, way too subjective and no one can agree on the rules, on the field anyway...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

The college overtime rule is entertaining to watch but I could see how players would be against it. It's not uncommon for teams to score 2-3 more times in overtime which is pretty crazy in comparison to the NFL where one touchdown will end the game. I personally don't think they will change the NFL rule over one game because no one complained about the Saints game. I understand KC's complaint about not getting an opportunity but they went scoreless in the first half and couldn't stop New England in overtime. The NFL is usually pretty slow to respond to change

Totally agree with most that for OT, the ball needs to start further back.
Also, saw a proposal that has each team kicking to the other for the possession - sort of brings the special teams phase and strategy into play more.

Great idea, except the panty-waisted NCAA is trying to eliminate the kickoff, not increase its use. When I played I loved kickoff team the best, because I could just sprint down, get a full head of steam and lay into somebody.

OT, teams start on 35. Must go for two after touchdown. Game ends in tie after 2 series by each team, unless championship.

Targeting 15yd penalty if not intentional, no ejection.
Targeting 15yd penalty and ejection if intentional.

Reactions: WhitewaterVol
Please, I would like to hear your logic.

I have expressed my logic, but let me try to explain it for you one more time. Then I'm finished with your continued questioning.
My logic is the College game of football should not exceed three overtime periods.
The first two periods would follow the current NCAA overtime rules with a change to the PAT. A touchdown in the first two OT would require a two point conversion attempt. That's pretty easy to read and follow along.

If after two overtime periods the teams are still tied the third overtime period would follow the NFL rules.

If after three overtime periods the teams are still tied, then the game would end in a tie. Yep, Co champions.

I pulled the NFL OT rules from the NFL site, I found it unnecessary to type them out and possibly over look something.
I'm personally okay with the NFL OT rules, It's the team loosing the coin toss job to force a field goal to have an opportunity to posses the ball and win the game.

So here are the NFL rules for regular season play.

• At the end of regulation, the referee will toss a coin to determine which team will possess the ball first in overtime. The visiting team captain will call the toss.
  • No more than one 10-minute period will follow a three-minute intermission. Each team must possess, or have the opportunity to possess, the ball. The exception: if the team that gets the ball first scores a touchdown on the opening possession.
  • Sudden death play — where the game ends on any score (safety, field goal or touchdown) — continues until a winner is determined.
  • Each team gets two timeouts.
  • The point after try is not attempted if the game ends on a touchdown.
  • If the score is still tied at the end of the overtime period, the result of the game will be recorded as a tie.
  • There are no instant replay coach’s challenges; all reviews will be initiated by the replay official.

• I'm out.

Last edited:
it's just easy to blame Saban for everything wrong in the NCAA when you can't beat him.....

But a lot of folks don't like the format. Now we don't like sudden death, and we don't like 5 OT games.....
I say keep the format but eliminate FGs during the OT period. No team wins until a TD is scored.
Who doesn't? They're by far some of the more entertaining games. That A&M vs LSU 74-72, 7 OT thriller was one of the best games I've ever seen

Or follow the NHL and reduce the number of players in OT, maybe 7 on 7 for the 1st OT, then 5 on 5 for the second one and so on.

I laughed at your idea, thinking it ridiculous. Then I thought, maybe this is a nifty idea. I laughed at the idea some more. Then I thought, wait! The game would be extremely entertaining if this was done. And then I wasn't laughing anymore.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
As long as those injections aren't lethal I think we will be OK......the guy would still be able to play the next week. Also, doesn't look like you are in the minority.
Ejections? Man, I thought you were complaining about players shooting up in overtime.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Don’t have problem with OT. I have problem with play reviews, horrible calls that IMO throw the game to one team or the other, and inonsistent targeting calls. If you hit someone and it is bad enough for them to go out of the game, you go out til they come back in. I support each coach getting as many reviews as they want but, if they are wrong, it costs them $$$ per play reviewed. I would also require ref certification and bad calls require recertification. Something different is required.

Apparently, the NCAA is semi coming to their senses. They have an oversight committee that will explore the possibility of adjusting rules that govern targeting and overtime. Looks like the may categorize hits. Were they maliciously or unmaliciously intentional? Overtime will be looked at for ways to avoid having games go into extended overtime sessions where player safety would be in jeopardy.

Not sure why I seem to smell some Saban in the OT thing. Cause I have a VERY vague recollection of him whining about it.

the targeting rule can be very simple, IMO. If the hit was intentional and the offensive player is so injured that they cant return to the game, then the defensive player is ejected. If the offensive player is checked out by medical staff and is deemed fit to return to the field, then its just a simple 15 yard personal foul and no ejection for the defensive player.

I'm so sick and tired of the offensive player getting right up and totally fine but the defensive player gets ejected and cant return. B.S.

I have expressed my logic, but let me try to explain it for you one more time. Then I'm finished with your continued questioning.
My logic is the College game of football should not exceed three overtime periods.
The first two periods would follow the current NCAA overtime rules with a change to the PAT. A touchdown in the first two OT would require a two point conversion attempt. That's pretty easy to read and follow along.

If after two overtime periods the teams are still tied the third overtime period would follow the NFL rules.

If after three overtime periods the teams are still tied, then the game would end in a tie. Yep, Co champions.

I pulled the NFL OT rules from the NFL site, I found it unnecessary to type them out and possibly over look something.
I'm personally okay with the NFL OT rules, It's the team loosing the coin toss job to force a field goal to have an opportunity to posses the ball and win the game.

So here are the NFL rules for regular season play.

• At the end of regulation, the referee will toss a coin to determine which team will possess the ball first in overtime. The visiting team captain will call the toss.
  • No more than one 10-minute period will follow a three-minute intermission. Each team must possess, or have the opportunity to possess, the ball. The exception: if the team that gets the ball first scores a touchdown on the opening possession.
  • Sudden death play — where the game ends on any score (safety, field goal or touchdown) — continues until a winner is determined.
  • Each team gets two timeouts.
  • The point after try is not attempted if the game ends on a touchdown.
  • If the score is still tied at the end of the overtime period, the result of the game will be recorded as a tie.
  • There are no instant replay coach’s challenges; all reviews will be initiated by the replay official.

• I'm out.
So, like I said, you would have two shoot outs then a 10 minute period? Just wanted to make sure it sounded as backward as I thought. Glad you are out, you should be.

P.S. I know exactly what the NFL OT rules are, I just couldn't believe that you (or anyone for that matter) would line it up that way.

Unfortunately, changing the rules only further confuses the incompetent officiating staffs.
They haven't yet caught up to the current definition of targeting, so tweaking the definition won't help.

BINGO IMO, they just need to abolish the targeting/ejections. and

-Put players who make such type dangerous hits on report. Put forth a review committee who watches the video of reported hit, and hand down punishment on the next Monday or Tuesday. Stops holding up the game for immediate video review and ejections, and player can appear before the committee to plead his case.. And if players has had a history of dangerous hits, suspend him longer. Fairer and more effective.

- Make sure they are training players to tackle safer from the youth leagues up. The whole thing could have been handled with more civility than acting like a bunch of old hags going through menopause.

Last edited:
Apparently, the NCAA is semi coming to their senses. They have an oversight committee that will explore the possibility of adjusting rules that govern targeting and overtime. Looks like the may categorize hits. Were they maliciously or unmaliciously intentional? Overtime will be looked at for ways to avoid having games go into extended overtime sessions where player safety would be in jeopardy.

Not sure why I seem to smell some Saban in the OT thing. Cause I have a VERY vague recollection of him whining about it.

What has Saban NOT whined about?

Great idea, except the panty-waisted NCAA is trying to eliminate the kickoff, not increase its use. When I played I loved kickoff team the best, because I could just sprint down, get a full head of steam and lay into somebody.

My man! Remember Huế !

Last edited:
I remember when we played for fun when i was younger on a short field we would have four downs to score. Make it 1st and goal from the 25 with four downs to score.

Let the fans decide...
Targeting against Tennessee? What say you fans?
tenor (6).gif
Flag picked up. Simple.. Would help attendance too.........

I feel like the “If you can’t stop a team from scoring a TD, you don’t deserve to win” argument kinda contradicts itself.

Let’s take the AFCCG for instance... If the Pats deserved to win, then shouldn’t they have been obligated to prove it by keeping the Chiefs out of the end zone?

It’s like we place such high value on a teams ability to produce a defensive stop and, at the same time, have no problem awarding victory to team whose defense never even takes the field.

If the Pats “deserved to win” then they should’ve had no problem kicking off to the Chiefs and proving it right?

the targeting rule can be very simple, IMO. If the hit was intentional and the offensive player is so injured that they cant return to the game, then the defensive player is ejected. If the offensive player is checked out by medical staff and is deemed fit to return to the field, then its just a simple 15 yard personal foul and no ejection for the defensive player.

I'm so sick and tired of the offensive player getting right up and totally fine but the defensive player gets ejected and cant return. B.S.

I was all gung ho for your post (and retain affection for it) but then I remembered something from my past experiences with bullies, physically violent, sexual predator teens and adults I worked with. When consequences were lenient, waivered, or ignored, they repeated the offenses time and again. Consequently, I now think when targeting hits are intentional, whether the victim is injured or not, disallow the player to participate in the rest of the game and all of the next one. That seems harsh, I know. But what happens as in the case of two incidents where in those cases, high school players were target hit (helmet to helmet) and seemed fine. Then shortly after the game, one died while exiting the field, the other at home hours later. Both due to brain injuries where blood vessels ruptured. I vaguely recall another incident where a kid went into a coma. Repeat offenders should lose playing privileges I think.

VN Store

Back